Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Torchlight & Torchlight 2

http://www.torchlightgame.com

Does anyone else play this game, and what do you think of it? I just got into it and I am having a fun time destroying my enemies with akimbo blades and blunt weapons.

There is a demo for those who want to try if they want to check it out before buying the game for $9.99 (which is valid until Jan 4th there and on Steam, which will be $19.99 after).

I got it last night and played till about 3 in the morning. It seems like a pretty simple game, but it's still extremely addictive.

I strangely didn't get all that into it. I think I diabloed myself out in the days of Diablo 2.

I'm going to reply here because the other thread degenerated into an argument about Steam.

It's pretty good. It's essentially Diablo with fancy graphics and a few gameplay conveniences like not having to manually pick up gold (you just walk over it), a pet to sell your unwanted items in town, and a whole lot more optional side-quests which are actually interesting (as opposed to Diablo 2 which seemed a boring grind to me).

Of course, I loved Diablo so Torchlight wins, especially considering I got it for 5 bucks on sale the other day. My girlfriend is also addicted to it.

Super Jamie said:

a whole lot more optional side-quests which are actually interesting (as opposed to Diablo 2 which seemed a boring grind to me).

Heh, and I find it to be the complete opposite. :P Torchlight's "side quests" are all one of three variety: 1) Come upon a unique piece of ember that you must bring back, 2) Kill a champion monster that's no different from other champions, and fetch reward and 3) Go through a dungeon level that's no different from the usual levels but it'll have a treasure item in the end which you need to bring back. What worse, these quests just keep repeating with no real variation what-so-ever, and the only reason to do them is the very minor boost in experience and fame.

At least in Diablo 2 some of the quests had some thought put into them, or useful rewards, or both. Blood raven is fun to fight when you're not too well prepared, the countess is ok, the sewers in Lut Gholein have an extra skill point reward, the Hell forge is cool and the book in act 3 had a nice, occasionally pretty tough bitch boss.

One other thing Torchlight did do wrong is having "passive" buff skills with very short duration. Those are never good design and only lead to immense frustration and, if the cooldowns are much longer than the skill duration, they also slow down the game a lot. Buffs should always be either completely passive or come with long timers.

Also, there's very little ranged monsters. As a matter of fact, the bestiary is pretty boring overall. They're mostly normal melee monsters, some have a few special attacks but there's very little anything that's truly, well, special and different. The bosses are pretty disappointing, too: Brink is a bit too tough for the first boss, the last boss is ridiculously overpowered compared to everything else and all other bosses are ridiculously easy and pose no threat what-so-ever. Especially Medea is just a huge joke if you've got about 100 electric resistance, which is pretty easy to have by that point. :P

Most of the complaints I have pretty much boil down to small things that are more of minor annoyances then problems. Attacking is one of them. It's kinda annoying that you have to click an enemy after each attack as opposed to clicking on them once and having your character attack said character until it either dies or you choose another one. This can be pretty annoying when it comes to the extremely small enemies. I've found myself trying to attack an enemy on several occasions only to have my character run around like a chicken with its head cut off instead.
It also feels like it should really have multiplayer too.

Craigs said:

Yeah, multiplayer is what diablo is about to me so I'm a little wary about Torchlight.

I like Torchlight, it takes the best features of Diablo and Fate and mixes them together. (Some of the same developers from each game worked on Torchlight)
Also it has the same musician from the Diablo games. <3

Jodwin said:

Criticism about difficulty

You can always try the harder difficulty levels.

Craigs said:

There's a multiplayer version coming out sometime down the line.
This single player version was sort of a teaser for it, as mentioned in the info page for it on Steam, and I think in the manual as well.
EDIT: there's a mod being worked on by some people that might add coop in, the test screenshots looked promising.

Infurnus said:

You can always try the harder difficulty levels.

I have. -_-

@Craigs: Try holding down the attack button.

I've been playing it off and on since I bought it the other morning and I really like it so far. I like being able to just pick it up and play it for a couple of minutes, rather than having to wonder when the next 20 minute cutscene is.

This game is owning my soul. Reminds me of Diablo days when I'd stay up till 6am playing, sleep for an hour then go to school. And then do that for a week straight.

One of the converted now. Only it's the middle of a 3 day humans vs. zombies get together, but it's kinda dying off, mostly just having fun with friends after now. I played it until 4 am the day of the first game and was pretty tired that day >.<

Anyway I agree with jodwin's assessment of the side quests, I treat them more like bonuses. And I don't care about the story so much, if I'm caring I'll be playing dragon age; origins instead ;P

I grabbed it shortly after it came out. It eases the Diablo 2 panges and the Diablo 3 will-never-get-to-play-it depression.

Now if only it ran better on my netbook...

sgtcrispy said:

I grabbed it shortly after it came out. It eases the Diablo 2 panges and the Diablo 3 will-never-get-to-play-it depression.

Now if only it ran better on my netbook...

You have the netbook mode enabled, right?

I seem to have done enough optional side quests and scroll quests that the main storyline is now painfully easy. Shoulda picked a higher difficulty.

Super Jamie said:

I seem to have done enough optional side quests and scroll quests that the main storyline is now painfully easy. Shoulda picked a higher difficulty.

Heh, I did the same thing. A single shot from my pistol is enough to gib all except the special enemies.

I crush-kill-destroy with my melee character and already have found 3 unique pieces of armor (shoulders, belt and helmet). Also, what does the cat pet look like? I don't feel like feeding my dog the Catfish fish from the vendor to find out.

You can see it on the main screen, make a new character and click the cat button. You can go back to playing your old character. It looks more like a female tiger than a cat (tho the dog looks more like a wolf anyway).

Oh my god this is awesome. I just started playing it today and got hooked on it for six hours solid (at least it was at night :P)

The only thing that irks me are the loading times between maps. Granted I just barely meet the specs. I'll have to try netbook mode.

Super Jamie said:

This game is owning my soul. Reminds me of Diablo days when I'd stay up till 6am playing, sleep for an hour then go to school. And then do that for a week straight.

I gave Diablo 2 a try once and enjoyed it quite a bit. The game became incredibly easy once I tried playing online. A guy gave me some kind of hacked item just a few minutes after I joined a server that turned me into a lich and killed anyone and anything that appeared on my screen. Also some people were dueling just outside of the city and I managed to collect the gold from the ones who had died and within a matter of seconds I had the maximum amount of gold you can carry.

Craigs said:

I gave Diablo 2 a try once and enjoyed it quite a bit. The game became incredibly easy once I tried playing online. A guy gave me some kind of hacked item just a few minutes after I joined a server that turned me into a lich and killed anyone and anything that appeared on my screen. Also some people were dueling just outside of the city and I managed to collect the gold from the ones who had died and within a matter of seconds I had the maximum amount of gold you can carry.

Some good reasons why multiplayer with strangers isn't always a good idea. :P Then again, it's up to you to actually use the hacked items...

Borderlands has been enough Diablo for me lately. That and I'm probably gonna exceed my campus' weekly download limit because all of the steam sales already.

Ok you bastards got me playing this now. :D

I checked out the demo first and decided to buy. I happened to install Steam for the first time in ages and noticed they had Torchlight on for $4.99 so I grabbed it on there. :)

I could use a storage vault mod like the one somebody made for Titan Quest..... :P

Yep found Torchleech yesterday and installed that along with the potions stacksize mod and also one that makes the gems bigger.

I've just played through the two hour demo, and i must say that i really enjoyed the game. The full version now costs 19,99, so at the end of the month (when my payment comes) i'll buy this.
I could always "buy" it from rapidshare or something like that, but i feel that 20 bucks it's not that expensive for a cute game like this.

I wish the Steam Subscriber Agreement allowed you to transfer games to another user, I'd just give you mine. I'm done with it and it was only 5 bucks anyway.

In b4 Enjay Steam rant :P