Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jxeboy

Player start Items

Hello everyone, First post here.
I'm in the process of creating my first mod. I can't seem to find it anywhere, but is there a way to change what the player starts with? I am creating a Wolfenstein style wad, and want to have the player start with just a knife, and maybe less health. I was wondering if that's possible.

Thanks!

~Jake

What source port or port compatibility are you aiming for? Different engines have their own methods of doing stuff like this.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I'm not totally down with the lingo yet, but I think you're asking what I use to run the mod? I have been using GZdoom. For editing I have used Doom Builder and XWE. I'm not sure what else you need to know. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks again!
~Jake

Alright, if somebody has to spell it out then I guess I can. "Source ports" are ports of Doom's original source code - ie. they are modified/enhanced versions of the original Doom engine. There are several ways you can change what items the player starts with, but because all of these source ports are different, any one specific method to change the player's starting inventory won't work in all ports. So, the question is: which source ports do you want your mod to work in? If you're okay with making a mod that only works in ZDoom-family ports (Zdoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, etc.) then you can use a highly-powerful coding tool called "DECORATE," but, if you want your mod to work in other commonly-used ports as well (eg. prBoom, prBoom+, Eternity, Chocolate-Doom) then you'll have to use the less-powerful but more-widely-compatible "DeHackEd." Ports such as Eternity and EDGE also have their own unique methods of implementing this sort of functionality.

Yes, there's a lot to learn.

Thanks for the information. Sorry I am so new at this, but you have to start somewhere!

Hopefully I will have something to show everyone sometime soon, I hope the "wolf-theme" has some fans.

~Jake

For ZDoom-compatible ports and Wolf-themed maps (if you're meaning the old pixely cartoony Wolf 3D, not the more recent game), you should start by taking a look at this.

jxeboy said:
I'm not totally down with the lingo yet, but I think you're asking what I use to run the mod? I have been using GZdoom.

That, but also what you expect people to play it with. You could have it require GZDoom and use all its features, ZDoom and most of them, Boom and some, or just the plain game behavior. Each succeeding choice offers a potentially broader variety of players, because they can choose from more engines to play it with, but a smaller set of less powerful features. Answers will depend on that choice, or maybe you'd like to see what each "feature set" offers in this and other respects, to make your choice.

Specifically, GZDoom and ZDoom will allow you to assign a new weapon to start with through a DECORATE lump. Using only Boom features or the plain behavior what you generally do is use DeHackEd or an equivalent tool to give the player no ammo and change the fist into a knife.

If your focus is on changing things you're better off with ZDoom or GDZoom behavior, by a good stretch. For a "conversion" as the one you're making, use Boom or Doom, where you'll have to face more limitations, only if you want to ensure a more classic behavior and give players more freedom on what to run the game with or if you simply want to see how much you can change and do with the basic behavior.

Thanks for the help again. I'm not actually making a conversion, just making interesting levels with the wolfenstein theme. I have played the Wolfenstein TC, but my mod is looking more like the wolfendoom series.

I've been able to give myself less health, and ammo using wacked2, but i haven't been able to figure out how to start with the knife(fist) instead of pistol.

~jake

In the miscellaneous section of Whacked you can set the initial bullets to 0. When the game starts, the player will immediately drop the pistol or whatever weapon is in its place and raise the knife (assuming it's a replacement for the fist.) That's probably your best choice using Whacked unless you want to change the pistol into the knife, which would leave you with one firearm less and a dubious use for the first weapon slot (fist.)

That behavior is port specific. In that scenario some ports will do the weapon auto-change during setup and simply draw the fists on map start without seeing the pistol lower first.

^ Yeah, in fact, that's what I should have said, because that's what the original or any engine that otherwise retains the usual behavior does when a DeHackEd patch with 0 bullets is applied.

myk said:

^ Yeah, in fact, that's what I should have said, because that's what the original or any engine that otherwise retains the usual behavior does when a DeHackEd patch with 0 bullets is applied.

Unfortunately zDoom doesn't do this, but I have just decided to go with a pistol start anyway. After all, who likes to stab people?

~Jake