• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Eternity Engine 3.37.00 "Sekhmet"

Happy New Years!

Get the newest version of the Eternity Engine here:

Win32 Version - Recommended for users of Win9x - WinXP.
Win32 "Plus" - Recommended for users of Windows Vista or higher.
Source code - For programmer-types
Extra EDFs - In case you need them.
Text File - Read it or suffer ;)

Sorry Linux users, no binary distribution for you ;) Check out the 3.37.00 tag from the usual location if you want to build it.

Awesome!

Now people can use widescreen, high resolutions, slopes, sprite scaling, and whatever other cool stuff I've probably forgotten about, without me having to tell them to grab an SVN. :P

already built, and yes it's awesome. Of course I know this since I've been testing it since forever :v

Great news.

- Mapping -

* SLOPES!

* New ACS Line Specials:
    Floor_Waggle
    Thing_Spawn
    Thing_SpawnNoFog
    Teleport_EndGame
How exactly do I add ACS to my Eternity map? It's of Doom format with EXTRADATA.

the "plus" version is compiled using a newer compiler. From my experience, it is also faster. It might be placebo effect, though. but playing on NUTS.wad with no slowdown is amazing.

Csonicgo said:

the "plus" version is compiled using a newer compiler. From my experience, it is also faster. It might be placebo effect, though. but playing on NUTS.wad with no slowdown is amazing.

Ok, but why does it exclude XP then? That shouldn't be necessary if it's only the compiler itself.

Some XP boxes will not run programs compiled with Visual Studio 2008, particularly ones lacking an up-to-date .NET installation. You can run the "plus" package on XP, and probably on Win2k also. The end user accepts all responsibility for making sure their system is up-to-date if they try this; I will absolutely not provide support for it :)

It absolutely will not run on anything earlier than 2k, however. 2008 executables call system functions that do not exist on anything prior to that, and have the WINVER set to 5 in the PE header to enforce it.

Quasar said:

Some XP boxes will not run programs compiled with Visual Studio 2008, particularly ones lacking an up-to-date .NET installation.

That's news to me. For managed code, yes, obviously, but does straight machine code even once call into the .NET runtime?

I think if you link statically to the C runtime library this issue will go away. From the looks of it this is the only piece of code that might impose such a restriction.

I've been running VS2008 compiled code on an XP installation that hasn't been updated for 3 years now without any problems.

The Plus version runs fine on my XP box. Changing the screen mode (manually entering the resolution) is a bit fail, though. Or is there some menu with the available resolutions?

The resolution menu was taken out when higher resolutions and widescreen were added; the new system seems to be a love/hate thing. Personally I think it's fine. :\

boris said:

Changing the screen mode (manually entering the resolution) is a bit fail, though.

Yes, agreed. There should definitely be a menu for selecting them. There's no reason to prevent custom resolutions from being entered, but that shouldn't be required for a commonly supported resolution.

I'm still thinking about ideas on how to provide a list of commonly used resolutions in addition to the geom string setting ;)

Looks like there's no more Small compiler to be downloaded for 3.37.00 to handle the new action functions such as _Light_Fade. While it may be deprecated and unfunctional for 64bit systems, I'm still using it to design and test my maps the way I intend, until an alternative comes.

printz said:

Looks like there's no more Small compiler to be downloaded for 3.37.00 to handle the new action functions such as _Light_Fade. While it may be deprecated and unfunctional for 64bit systems, I'm still using it to design and test my maps the way I intend, until an alternative comes.

It hasn't changed. The last one available is still up on mancunet in the root eternity folder.

The 3.35.90 one supports the _Light_* or _Thing_* special-calling functions that weren't available before?

printz said:

The 3.35.90 one supports the _Light_* or _Thing_* special-calling functions that weren't available before?

The compiler does not have to be modified to support new native functions. They just have to be added to the proper specials header file. Did I forget to ever add them?