Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnfulgor

Trick to pass an instant death sector

Hello all! Thanks to your help my wad is going on. Now I face this problem: my player is in front of a river of blood, with the instant death special. I'd like the river becomes passable, in some way, after the player act on a switch. Is there a way to change a sector special by means of a script? Or to make a bridge appear, in some manner?
Thanks!

if you had a skybox, you could make a invisible bridge, its quite simple,

floor and roof/sky is F_SKY

across death-sector you put another sector, whit floor
and sky F_SKY whit missing textures on the sides. thats what you need to know about a skybox bridge, also, in zdoom build there is objects called 'bridge parts' try em out :)

johnfulgor said:

Hello all! Thanks to your help my wad is going on. Now I face this problem: my player is in front of a river of blood, with the instant death special. I'd like the river becomes passable, in some way, after the player act on a switch. Is there a way to change a sector special by means of a script? Or to make a bridge appear, in some manner?
Thanks!

Yes.

The simplest way to make a bridge is to have your switch use the 20: S1 Floor Raise to Next Higher Floor, Changes Texture special. For a ZDoom map in Hexen format or UDMF, use 228:Plat_RaiseAndStayTx0. (For reference, the speed parameter to use to match the aforementioned Doom linetype is 4.)

This will make a tagged part of your river rise to the level of the shore, change texture to that of the neighboring sector, and will clear the special, making it no longer instant-death.

For more elaborate methods, with 3D floors and scripts and what not, you can take a look at the ZDoom documentation: http://zdoom.org/wiki/

If you're using Boom:

If you want to NEUTRALIZE the acid, then create a dummy sector outside the map, [J]oin it with the river sector, create ANOTHER sector next to the dummy you made, change its floor level to river's level MINUS 1, give it the same texture but DON'T give it any damage property, and finally apply the generalized linetype "lower/next floor/change texture&type/numeric model". Be sure to use the numeric model for this to work. It's not unlike those instances in Doom where the rock fell into the slime, but here you're doing the reverse.

This also works in ZDoom by using the GenericFloor action special.

printz: He says he's using the instant death special. Boom doesn't have one of those (though the effect can be simulated in other ways), so he's not using Boom.

Another way could be:

Remove the instant death special of your blood river. Put an "actor hits floor" thing or "actor enters sector" thing into the blood river sector (in the "sector actions" category), depending on how you want the player to die. In the "effects" tab for the sector action thing, give it a Thing Tag, and give it Thing Action 214 (Sector Damage) - sector tag of the blood river, 255 for the damage amount.

For the switch, give it Linedef Action 131 (Thing Deactivate) or 132 (Thing Remove), and put the Thing Tag of the sector action thing you put in the blood river.

printz said:
Be sure to use the numeric model for this to work.
[/B]

Could you be so kind to explain to me how the Floor_TransferNumeric works? I've read the wiki, but it only says:

"Transfers the floor picture and sector special from one sector to another using the numeric change model"

That's exactly what I want to do, but he function has only one argument. Where is the destination sector? And what is this "numeric model"?

Thanks!

Later:

Ah ... I discovered it by myself ... the source sector is the one in which I am ...