Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mattjoes

A little question

I made a level that uses a few textures from Plutonia; do I add them to the WAD or do I add a note to the text file indicating that the WAD should be opened using plutonia.wad?

It's up to you in the end, but the EULA of the games allow you to use resources from the game you're editing, but not necessarily others, so if you want to fully respect what id Software requests, using Plutonia as the IWAD, as was done with Plutonia 2 other other recent projects, is a good idea. By using Plutonia you're ensuring that the people that play your WAD also have the original, from where you're taking stuff. WADs taking resources from other games are generally accepted in the archive, however, so it's not like your WAD will be rejected if it has Plutonia stuff.

I'd say, as a rule of thumb, that it depends on how much you're going to be using from Plutonia. If it's most of their stuff, just use Plutonia as the IWAD. Using just a couple of textures, on the other hand, might make adding them to a DOOM II PWAD somewhat reasonable.

Personally, though, I encourage you to use Plutonia as the IWAD. It's just like any other WAD, in the end, and it doesn't have a "you may use as a base" notice on it other than what the EULA says, which is "make derivatives, but only if they require this game (Plutonia.)"

I would include them in the Pwad as Doom 2 is the standard game for mods. If you want to do that, just download XWE, use it to open the Wad, double-click on the Patches tab and select your graphics, and when they appear in the Patches list, select them, right-click on them and choose "Add to TEXTURE".

One thing people fear sometimes, which makes them think of using DOOM II is that less people may have Plutonia. Nowadays, however, most fans, such as the ones that visit these forums, have all the IWADs, and they are cheap to get, if not. The more Plutonia and TNT are used for mods, the more people will get them, anyway.

Using Plutonia is a way of giving props to the Casali brothers for their work, by encouraging people to play Plutonia when using their stuff.

when we are in the same talk.

I am trying to do my own Map and i have tested some 'illegal' textures. But i think i have found better ons now and i think i just have 2-3 that i have 'stolen' but how to make my own Pwad or include all the textures that i have use in to my wad and run it under Doom2 or Plutunia eg?

If i contact or just left a credit for the creator of the five textures i have stolen is that okey?

I have XWE.

//Martin

Swec said:

If i contact or just left a credit for the creator of the five textures i have stolen is that okey?

Stolen? From whom?

If it's textures (apparently) made by some modder out there, two things are generally true:
1. The readme file that came along with it explained whether he allowed you to use his stuff or not;
2. The email address in the contact info has been dead for at least twelve years now.

If it's textures taken from another commercial game, you can expect to be either not answered at all, or told "no".

Swec said:

I have XWE.

This has no relevance to the discussion at hand. Whether you use XWE, Slumped or DEUSF doesn't change anything on the ethical and legal standpoint.