Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

what the stupidest thing you did in doom?

While it mightn't be the stupidest thing I've done, trying to kill a soulsphere is easily one of the most embarrasing. :-)

Surving a huge slaughter-map fight, then comming to a stop to take a breather and save it, forgetting one of the reasons I had kept moving were the hundred or so revenaut rockets tailing me.

It's moments like that I wish there were a 'replay your death!' function.

Also, Beserk + Barrel, and the one stupid thing I keep on doing: Using the rocket launcher against a Pain Elemental or two.

Always firing one rocket too many. You catch a glimpse of a lost soul entering your peripheral vision, but before you can get your finger off the trigger, the rocket is already on the way.

Splat.

Also, firing rockets from just behind an open door. You think you have time to get one last rocket off before the door shuts, but you are wrong.

Splat.

Sometimes you try to infight too much. even when you have plenty of ammo and don't really need to infight. So running around like crazy triggering lots of fights. And running sideways into a cyberdemon rocket that the cyber was firing at some other beastie entirely.

Splat.

When you are invisible and you change weapons during a fight. And you hit the wrong number key and bring up a rocket launcher instead of a plasma gun. And in the heat of combat, and because you are invisible, you can't tell you have the wrong weapon until you fire it. It takes you several seconds to work out why you died. (though after doing this multiple times over the years, you work it out much quicker with each successive repeat.)

Splat.

Splat
Splat
Splat.

Mushy Damn Marine.

When I was a kid, I got smashed on the crusher of Map 06 in Doom 2.
I pressed the switch to start it, then I saw the plasma gun. Yes, that's exactly what you are thinking about ¬¬

First time I seen Icon of Sin, I tried for hours shoot his face :P

Kyka said:

Also, firing rockets from just behind an open door. You think you have time to get one last rocket off before the door shuts, but you are wrong.

It happens a lot to me :D

I was too eager to see Doom's last level back in 1994, so I warped to what I thought would be the very last level: E3M9. I finished it and...it kicked me back :-/

So I wasn't satisfied with reaching and completing E3M8 normally, because I knew there was another, mysterious level after that one that for some reason kicked me back and the ending sequence was creepy and ambiguous, leaving a lot to be desired. :-/

So I thought that Doom had some sort of "True ending" and "False ending" just like Bubble Bobble, and that you had to do some mysterious actions in order to get the "good" enging.

...yeah, I wasn't aware of the "secret levels" concept.

That, and the usual rocket-to-the-face deaths.

Also, I once managed to die in under 10 seconds in Jodwin's Hell Sewers during playtesting, although that was more like extreme RNG bad luck than stupidity: pretty much every monster I encountered until I opened the very first door managed to get a maximum damage hit on me. So -15 HP from the zombieman, -45 HP from the shotgun guy, a couple of imp fireballs (max damage, ofc) and aaaargh, I'm dead without a clue.

I'd had the game for about a week when I ran some program and it corrupted the IWAD. It took me months to get another working copy. Now I'm hilariously paranoid about backing up my IWADs.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

When I was a kid, I got smashed on the crusher of Map 06 in Doom 2.
I pressed the switch to start it, then I saw the plasma gun. Yes, that's exactly what you are thinking about ¬¬

Wow, it takes some skill to get crushed by a ceiling that stops moving when you walk under it.

RjY said:

Wow, it takes some skill to get crushed by a ceiling that stops moving when you walk under it.

]

I'm pretty damn sure I managed this at one point as well. Does the linedef that stops the crusher only extend across the top of the step? I think that with enough momentum it may be possible to miss it. Or I have a really bad memory.

GreyGhost said:

While it mightn't be the stupidest thing I've done, trying to kill a soulsphere is easily one of the most embarrasing. :-)

You're not the only one...I did that in the early days playing Doom 2 since I really didn't know what it was until I went over it.

Heh, 2010 posts.

Mr. Chris said:

Heh, 2010 posts.

You may not post again for 361 days.

One of the stupidest things I can say I've done is actually in multiplayer. I had my rocket launcher out (of course), and I was convinced that a lamp post was another player. I had low health anyway, and the pole was pretty close to me. It must have been unpleasant to watch.

In my last "Let's Play" level I blow myself up with a rocket and go down to... roughly 15 health/0 armor.

Maybe not the stupidest, but by far the most embarrassing because that was public.

Stupidest was definitely loading up Nightmare E1 and expecting to win.

eargosedown said:

In my last "Let's Play" level I blow myself up with a rocket and go down to... roughly 15 health/0 armor.

Maybe not the stupidest, but by far the most embarrassing because that was public.

I also have a Let's Play of the Doom games, and some stupid stuff I did was captured, such as getting blown up by an Archvile because I couldn't get to cover fast enough, and getting blown up by an Archvile because an imp blocked me from getting to cover.

Blowing myself up with the rocket launcher on several occasions when playing FFA deathmatch -_-;

Intel17 said:

I kept looking for a blue key despite the fact that I already had it.

Welcome to my world, and beat me to it.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

It was the Sega Saturn version, not the original one. Many changes were made on that one.

The ceiling stops in this version as well, but whatever.

More to the Rocket Launcher mishaps:

Preparing a shot at a nice group of crowded imps and zombies and fire until a lost soul somehow appears in front as you fire.

But other then a Rocket Launcher... Chainsawing through bunch of demons and theres an unsuspecting barrel in path, can't move as there is demons and by then you'd have low health anyway.

More like an unfortunate timing thing, but with low health, shooting a demon then just realizing that sergeant behind it can shoot, kill the demon, then kill you, and proceeds to do so. Happened just yesterday ...

PSX Doom on Coop. I wanted to fool my friend by showing him the secret door trick on House of Pain (where you can get the other player stuck) but a demon snuck up on my after I activated the door and died. Both of us were stuck behind the trap and had to restart the whole game, which sucks because we had to do the whole linking procedure all over.

I actually walked in on my bro trying to kill the invisibility sphere once. He thought it was a pain elemental. In his defense, he doesn't really know much about Doom. I had just told him there was another floating enemy besides the Cacodemon, and I guess he thought that was it.

Probably the stupidest thing I do is I always wait WAY too late in a large firefight to switch away from the SG or SSG. I pretty much tote a shotgun the whole game/pwad to save ammo on the big guns for when I REALLY need it. But I love shotgunning demons so much I always forget to switch to the rocket launcher or plasma gun when 30 Revs teleport into the room.

This has also led to getting me in trouble in modern FPS's because Doom's shotgun is so kickass, so I always have it in my head that I wanna use the shotgun in any game that has one, which is usually a big mistake.

Edit for spelling corrections, I have OCD.

GreyGhost said:

I've spent 30 minutes pressing 'use' and shooting the Floating Evil Eye before I realized it was just a prop. I thought it did something because it looked important... Doom deceived me.

being all of 12 years old attempting final doom on nightmare (hey it was my first time) needless to say i lasted 1 minute before i croaked and said "Fine I'll play on the wimpy level" needless to say i still aspire to beat that on nightmare

Well what I consider the stupidest is that I didn't realize I could save whenever I wanted. I got used to having to pistol start the level whenever I died, and that's why I prefer not "save gaming" today. Of course you hardc0ar kiddiez are going to say that's a good thing.

Ninjalah said:

I've spent 30 minutes pressing 'use' and shooting the Floating Evil Eye before I realized it was just a prop. I thought it did something because it looked important... Doom deceived me.

Yep. I was stuck in Spawning Vats (stupid blue door) and knew that Evil Eye in the wall had to have something to do with it.

Speaking of Spawning Vats, the first time I tried to speed through it because I thought more monsters would start spawning in (for obvious reasons).

Airman266 said:

This has also led to getting me in trouble in modern FPS's because Doom's shotgun is so kickass, so I always have it in my head that I wanna use the shotgun in any game that has one, which is usually a big mistake.

Hehe yep. I'm actually playing through both Modern Warfare games and every time I come across a shotgun I pick it up and start sprinting up to people and blasting them with it. I can't wait until I unlock the double barrel on multiplayer. I probably won't use anything else for a long while.