Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

what the stupidest thing you did in doom?

back in 1998, i had doom for the first time ( lost it later on )
and i was affraid of what was hiding behind the big tech-box in e1m1 just after the start. so i didnt finnish the game on easy (or any other difficulty) before my father forced me to keep going to the slime room in 1999.

when you look behind the big box, then "BANG" a zombie shoots behind you and i got so scared of that so i couldnt shoot it before it killed me 38 minutes later. back then, i was 5 years old, and i am just as old as this game.

cool huh?

and another stupid stuff is, if you try to switch weapon too many times in a death-match game. boom ure dead.

watch out for the box, its dangerous.

Thought I canĀ“t shoot BFG continuously and always have to release fire button before firing again. I have no idea where that came from...

DuckReconMajor said:

.Hehe yep. I'm actually playing through both Modern Warfare games and every time I come across a shotgun I pick it up and start sprinting up to people and blasting them with it. I can't wait until I unlock the double barrel on multiplayer. I probably won't use anything else for a long while.

Yeah well I've got Modern Warfare on my PS3 and I suck at FPSs on console, so when I try to do that I DIE. I'm a slow learner, I just love my shotguns.

Airman266 said:

so when I try to do that I DIE.

So do I, but I'll die like ten times before I'll consider switching weapons.

P.S. I'm playing on PS3 as well.

Recently I'd say it would be getting a megasphere only to turn around and fire the rocket launcher down at the mancubus below me in MAP29 of Doom2 Reloaded... only to realise the floor was in the way and rocket jump myself off of the rocks I was on, setting me back in both progress and health... and shortly afterwards life when the cyberdemon that I'd been running from turned up behind me as I was watching the mancubus' shoulder blades pop out of it's back.

Either that or for some stupid reason making a desperate dash through loads of imps with an SSG on the same level... when I had no need to. I ended up with about 5% health and 20% green armour, plus low shells and still being followed by a cyberdemon.

Not really stupid, but when I was new to the game, it felt much scarier and urgent. Back then I never used the strafe or the run keys, so a lot of the firefights you get into are far more fraught with peril. So playing without strafing is definitely stupid.

This isn't Doom, but later on playing Chex Quest when I was young, I was stuck with the tazer spork because I didn't know how to access the other weapons.

Patrick said:

Got lost in a 1024 map.

lol.

That said, I can go one better. I also got lost on a 1024 level. The sad thing is, it was my own 1024 map (the one that later became MAP 09 for the Claustrophobia project.) Ok, Ok, in my defence, I was still designing it, so the layout was a bit muddled.

But still, it's a sorry day

Demon101 said:

I always get lost in giant levels

1024 levels are actually very small levels.

Just so you know. :)

Links to a couple of 1024 mapsets:

Claustrophobia1024
Claustrophobia2

Y'Know, Mr Ghost. I hadn't thought of that at all. You could be right.

I once searched Map15 for HOURS trying to find the last secret. I don't know how stupid that is, as I didn't know that it was impossible to trigger the secret at the time, but it was a significant waste of time.

Also, when I was a kid, I was convinced Map02 was unbeatable because I didn't know that there was a run button.

The stupidest thing I've ever done was in Skulltag. I used my Zombieman skin in a deathmatch that had "no monsters" turned off. Sure enough, everyone was aiming at me.

Snakes said:

I once searched Map15 for HOURS trying to find the last secret. I don't know how stupid that is, as I didn't know that it was impossible to trigger the secret at the time, but it was a significant waste of time.

UGH, I don't even know how long I spent trying to find that. I cursed those cocksuckers at Id upside down for making a secret that was so hard to find.

The stupidest thing I did in doom was actually making a mod replaced all the sounds with a monotone computer voice "saying" the sound effects. When you for example shoot a barrel, the voice says "ka-boom", or when you encounter a cyberdemon you will hear "stomp! stomp! stomp! roar! boom! boom! swoosh! splat (play dies)!". Its incredibly dumb, but it sill cracks me up sometimes when I wander trough a doom level and suddenly I hear "moan! roar! grumble!" from somewhere.

I ran up to a spidermastermind and started stabbing it with my fist attack as i had no ammo. I died, then seeing an energy cell pack (big), realising i could have killed it close up in one shot with my BFG. I was so close to ending the level; i had to start again. ;-)

MSPaintR0cks said:

The stupidest thing I did in doom was actually making a mod replaced all the sounds with a monotone computer voice "saying" the sound effects.

Please upload this to the archives. It will be tons funnier than many "jokewads". Seriously.

Maes said:

Please upload this to the archives. It will be tons funnier than many "jokewads". Seriously.

Seconded. Do upload.

MSPaintR0cks said:

The stupidest thing I did in doom was actually making a mod replaced all the sounds with a monotone computer voice "saying" the sound effects. When you for example shoot a barrel, the voice says "ka-boom", or when you encounter a cyberdemon you will hear "stomp! stomp! stomp! roar! boom! boom! swoosh! splat (play dies)!". Its incredibly dumb, but it sill cracks me up sometimes when I wander trough a doom level and suddenly I hear "moan! roar! grumble!" from somewhere.

Thirded.

Kyka said:

That said, I can go one better. I also got lost on a 1024 level. The sad thing is, it was my own 1024 map (the one that later became MAP 09 for the Claustrophobia project.)

Something like that happened to me just today. I was checking out the DM areas in my Freedoom map07 in Eternity, so I played with -nomonsters. After using the exit switch I noticed that map08 was also a map of mine (which btw is becoming 7 years old in 2 days), so I thought "the heck with it, have a look at it, too". I ran around, grabbed all keys, pressed all switches, visited all areas multiple times to look for missing switches, but the bars that block the exit just wouldn't open. Then I tried it in Prboom, same problem, so I guessed it must be a mapping error on my side.

I had to look at the map in DB to realize that the bars are raised from a generalized Boom line that's triggered by a monster on a conveyor belt...

I guess I could plead ignorance here, but as a kid I used just a 2 button game pad to play. So all I could do was shoot and fire with 4 directions.

When I finally stopped using that thing, I would use left ctrl and left alt with the other default keys, which if you play this way you can't turn and strafe at the same time. Oh, and I never even knew you could run until E4M2 when I was forced to discover this.

So essentially the dumbest thing I ever did was always use really bad control setups until I was about 13.

Nowadays, we have like 12 button, 5 axis gamepads with a POV (I even got my XBox controller on my PC). Those are acceptable, but mouselook is horrible on them. I'd probably just use it for more retro controls like Saturn Quake.

I feel a bit dumb and cheap anytime I find myself having to open a map in an editor just to find out what the hell I have to do next. Which I have done on multiple occasions. I play a lot of switch-hunty maps for some reason.

Maes said:

Fifthed.

@lupinxkassman - try some of mine, they're almost never like that. Might be a bit hard tho ;p

In deathmatch.

Missing my opponent from super shotgun once because being overscared, while he spinning up his BFG. That sound of spinning up BFG. It kills my mind in deathmatch, it's hard to persist and continue to perform rational actions. I often do stupid things when I hear it...

There's always a couple of seconds before you die, if you miss first shot from super shotgun.