Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

First attempt demos [never played the map before]

So I was going to upload all my lame epic2 fdas as a single pack, but freaking map28 man, freaking map 28 - had me on edge, and on the final life around 45 minutes? second worst thing that can happen to an fdaer -.- I'd recommend speeding up most of the demo, unless you have 1 1/2 hours to spare. Oh and I'm not sure if the version I'm demoing on is outdated - was last modified 11/23, size 38,220,043 bytes.

e2fdam28.zip

ArmouredBlood, looks like if had no any problems with the level except the first switch. But who know how long you will search all these 6/8 swithces again :)

Decided to record blind runs of a couple Epic 2 levels, maps 27 and 28.

Map 27 was fun...and I managed to get what I think is probably an epic fail of a death on my 2nd try at the level. You'll all laugh at that one I bet.

Map 28...gotta love the homage to Darkdome (Eternal map 12). I managed to figure out everything on my own, even having to stop and study my map at a few points to figure out where the last few switches I needed to hit are.

I then get derp death'd in the worst way possible. Goddammit >_<.

I guess I'll try again later just to finish, but I was only 13 kills away from 100% kills and missed only one secret.

epic2fdas.zip

Anima Zero said:

Map 28...gotta love the homage to Darkdome (Eternal map 12). I managed to figure out everything on my own, even having to stop and study my map at a few points to figure out where the last few switches I needed to hit are.

I then get derp death'd in the worst way possible. Goddammit >_<

Nice demo. You got red key. So it can be considered as finished.

Anima Zero said:

I was only 13 kills away from 100% kills and missed only one secret.

I thought the latest secret should be a secret with Computer Map which should help you to find secrets heh, but looks like Eternal removed it at all. When I played this map, Computer Map was on secret column with box of ammo, almost in the starting location. But I think Computer Map does not help with finding red switches when you finally need them.

Never_Again said:
An FDA demopak I did yesterday for F_Episode 2 (F_EP2.WAD) by Foodles from /newstuff. Warning: extreme oldschool softcore! :)

Heh, the barons of hell had a leading role in these, with 2/3 of the kills and neat ones at that; backstabbing and a ball that grazed a wall in the dark.

Here's an FDA I did of this WAD, but to alternate it's a movie. The overall time is similar, although I didn't come across the E2M5 bug in a critical way. It might serve Foodles to see the WAD played in one go.

f_ep2myk.zip

Nice! I started thinking I should have made a movie a little bit into the second map, but by then it was too late of course. I don't think I ever saw FDA movies by anyone else, seems to be a gaucho exclusive. ;)
I found it amusing how our times are so similar, BTW.
Oh, and your FDA plays back just fine in the Ultimate DOOM/Doom95 compatibility mode.

I did another FDA for a WAD from /newstuff today:
Thy Wicked by Flesh420 in 8:25 (with one death). Ignore the "Advanced Engine Needed: Skulltag" line in the WAD's TXT - it's just a limit-removing map, in classical style, too. You will need to rename the WAD (i.e. remove the space from the filename) for automatic playback with prB+, though.

Yeah, FDA movies can be nice to do, especially when the levels aren't too deadly, or else there are be too many interruptions.

It's great that it plays back with -complevel 3. Easier for everybody! The relatively confined areas and quick lost soul deaths must not have allowed them to (not) bounce around. I updated the text file, and the zip above, with that tidbit because I also had to fix some things. Mainly the total per-level time was wrong and too low. It seemed odd there was an 8 minute difference with the recording's duration... I certainly didn't spend one minute at each intermission screen :)

For the hell of it I also added the global kills, items and secrets percentages, computed from the totals for the whole run, as if the episode were one level.

FDA for PCCP. I died and stopped around map10-11, and without checking the map roster I'm 99% sure this is a Dutch Devil map... Was planning to write about each map but this one sucked out all the fun, so, meh.

... Kind of wondering what the hell was whoever made the Map08 fight with the 2 archviles on top of an incredibly tall column in a dark room with revenants, stairs, no cover and bumpy floor detail was smoking when he designed this map. Ok, no, I can guess : ZDoom, BLOCKMAP fix, mouselook, no autoaim ; all too often a combo that makes for frustrating fights in "Boom compatible" maps.

pccpfda.zip

If you stopped at map10, I`ll assure you that you have no reason to look forward to map11 haha (based on the Ancient Hatred thread)

I actually took a look at map11 yesterday and enjoyed it, but it was way too hard to FDA (I died to some ambush with tons of hell knights after the yellow key and going underground because I was under the red haze berzerk effect and didn't notice some columns popped up to block my path).

Anima Zero said:

Yeah, I was surprised in some cases how quickly you spotted some switches or secrets, some of which I missed entirely in my first playthrough.

I then get derp death'd in the worst way possible. Goddammit >_<.

Using up supercharges when you had 150 health (plus armor) twice might have contributed to that eventuality :p

Granted, in some maps that type of "always try to keep health maxed" gamble makes sense, as you could be ambushed by 100 monsters in a second, but 28 wasn't that kind of map. Level 29, on the other hand...

entryway said:
When I played this map, Computer Map was on secret column with box of ammo, almost in the starting location. But I think Computer Map does not help with finding red switches when you finally need them.

Yeah, when I noticed I had to find all the skulls again I was befuddled for a bit but then eased the task a little by using automap number markers to mark the switches I had activated.

For this post - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/945750

Katamori 1024 Episode 1 FDA's

map01 - 1:46
map02 - 2:51
map03 - 13:21 [final time 1:27] - 6 deaths
map04 - 2:41
map05 - 2:38
map06 - 2:55
map07 - 2:38 [final time 1:15] - 1 death
map08 - 2:40
map09 - 7:14 [final time 4:20] - 1 death
map10 - 3:04
map11 - 6:22 [final time 4:02] - 1 death

recorded in Prboom-plus 2.5.0.9.test with complevel 9

kat1024_first-demos_by_memfis.zip

Here's a healthy helping of what Opulent would call "late-night entertainment" ;) - 12 FDAs on various WADs picked randomly from /idgames/levels/doom. The picking was done with this link, all WADs with existing demos on DSDA were skipped. If that doesn't get you hot and sweaty ;) there are also FDAs for three Kurt Kessler maps (no publicly released demos so far, either) at the end of this post.

The list partially follows ToD's convention: monsters left / secrets left / deaths and the final time.

• SIU-Doom (BLDGIII.WAD) - 0ml 0sl 0d - 14:36
  • DEATH.WAD (death2.zip) - 75ml 5sl 1d - 2:02 - Rename to DEATH4.WAD for automatic playback with prB+
  • Dead on Arrival 12 (DOA-12.WAD) - 9ml 3sl 4d - 6:13
  • Leviticus (levitic.wad) - 0ml n/a 0d - 5:18
  • Lake Death (LKDETHV1.WAD) - 24ml 5sl 0d - 24:50 - fast-forward from 13:30 to 18:40 ;)
  • The Outer Base (OUTER_BASE.WAD) - 0ml 3sl 0d - 9:01 - requires a limit-removing port
  • PIT6.WAD - 7ml n/a 1d - 3:02
  • Rage_13.WAD - 0ml 3sl 1d - 13:41
  • Lost Base (rf_lost.wad) - 0ml 2sl 0d - 7:13
  • RIFT.WAD - 0ml 0sl 0d - 29:14 - ffwd through 1:15-4:00 and 22:45-26:45
  • STAR-B-Q.WAD - 4ml n/a 2d - 18:06
  • Technology Dungeon (TECH_DUN.WAD) - 0ml 0sl 0d - 1:36
And now three FDAs for DOOM2 WADs by the author famed for his kmetl*/kboom* series from the late 90s:All demos from this post: n_a-fdas-feb19.zip.

Plutonia Revisited maps 01-11

MAP01 - 9:00
MAP02 - 14:49 [final time 11:03] - 1 death
MAP03 - 17:54 [final time 13:23] - 3 deaths
MAP04 - 11:05
MAP05 - 17:38
MAP06 - 28:31 [final time 15:01] - 1 death
MAP07 - 10:01 [STUCK] + 6:39
MAP08 - 16:16
MAP09 - 30:11 [final time 20:53] - 1 death
MAP10 - 18:00 [final time 9:26] - 1 death
MAP11 - DNF - DON'T ASK