Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

First attempt demos [never played the map before]

Uploading my first round of fdas for plr test phase before I forget for a month and say whatever. maps 1,3-7, I f'd up and accidentally re-recorded over 2. Thought all were pretty nice, though I think 5 or 6 was a little easy compared to the first 4? And map03 has just enough ammo to get through without killing everything if you don't get the plasma gun secret, though I got some lucky chaingunner resses. Did not finish a couple cause I kept dying at 80-90% and just didn't feel like another run. So expect at least a half hour of fail on each demo.

prcpt-3-7fda-ab.zip

Plutonia Revisited maps 12-18

MAP12 - 31:02 [final time 13:32] - 3 deaths
MAP13 - 13:27
MAP14 - 13:54 [final time 11:22] - 6 deaths
MAP15 - 1:02:11
MAP16 - 26:23 [final time 14:20] - 4 deaths
MAP17 - 24:03 [final time 1:25] - 9 deaths
MAP18 - DNF - more than 150 deaths I think

I've used rerecording on MAP15 one time, when I died at the crusher. I felt that the trap was really unfair.

On MAP17 I was annoyed by dying near the exit, so I tried to do the death slide and succeeded after few attempts. The same thing happened on MAP18, hovewer I didn't managed to do the archvile-jump.

Part 1:

prcppublictest12-15_mem_fda.zip

Plutonia Revisited maps 19-22

MAP19 - 1:02:15 [final time 38:57] - 5 deaths
MAP20 - 29:08
MAP21 - 21:07
MAP22 - DNF - 4 deaths. Only 6 monsters left, stupidest death ever. I don't feel like playing the whole map over again.

prcppublictest19-22.zip

Plutonia Revisited maps 23-26

MAP23 - 23:55
MAP24 - 54:50 [final time 38:08] - 3 deaths (one of them because of the all-ghosts bug)
MAP25 - 28:23
MAP26 - DNF - 4 deaths

On MAP26 only 50 monsters left... I'm too tired to try again right now. :) Cool music btw.

prcppublictest23-26_mem_fda.zip

@Memfis: Checked out your demo on Plutonia Revisited MAP14 - nice to see somebody playing oldschool style through my map. Seems to me that it all works fairly well - also seems like the initial set up is the hardest part of the map, as you tend to be able to run away after that.

I'm fairly confident that the map is complete, having seen that demo. Thanks!

For publishing FDA packs I suggest always provide archive with txt filled with some essential information (like download link, wad version) and some statistics. Here is my template:

IWAD:      doom/udoom/doom2/plutonia/tnt
PWAD:      wadname.wad (wad_title, author, release_date)
           (download_link)
Category:  FDA pack, uv/hmp/uv-fast
Exe:       portname, version

MAP   | TOTAL  |  LAST  | DT |   K/S   |  NOTE
-------------------------------------------------------
 eXmY  | 00:00  |  00:00 |  0 | 000/000 |  :)
 eXmY  | 00:00  |  00:00 |  0 | 000/000 |  :|
 eXmY  | 00:00  |  00:00 |  0 | 000/000 |  :(
 eXmY  | 00:00  |  00:00 |  0 | 000/000 |
 eXmY  | 00:00  |  00:00 |  0 | 000/000 |

Detailed comments:

player_name
email
recording_date
Also please use in your filenames player_id instead of time.

For example, here is my pack for Base Ganymede: E2. Far from better perfomances from me. Probably I should choose HMP instead UV...

Note for Andy Olivera: please don't grab this to DSDA.

Memfis said:

Oh, I think I understand what is going on. My definition of FDA is "recording of PLAYING the map for the first time". Yours is "RECORDING on the map for the first time, possibly with prior knowledge". Right?

No. Do you watch his fdamap12.lmp? It looks for me as true fda 'pervodem', just though in speed-oriented style, lucky enough.

Please use this thread only for first attempt demos - that is, when you record when you have never ever played the map at all before, watched a demo on it, or looked at it in an editor, etc.

Post demos of other types in other threads. Thanks.

Thread title and first post edited to clarify.

Grazza said:

Please use this thread only for first attempt demos - that is, when you record when you have never ever played the map at all before, or looked at it in an editor, etc.

Post demos of other types in other threads. Thanks.

So you're saying I should have started a new thread with "FRA" demos, just for one measly demo that I uploaded up for playtesting purposes? Exactly what category would the demo be? Failed Max attempt? The thread title still doesn't cover everything - it should say "recording when there is no knowledge of the map whatsoever" or something akin to that definition.

@hitherto - This was done with the sole intention of playtesting (and a friendly jab at Phml), and was a mislabeling of one demo, so let's not get too serious here?

If we're all so anal about definitions, how about we PROPERLY address this entire issue in the FAQ or something? As far as I know, most of this stuff is floating around in random threads, so some people are still misinformed. The FDA category was created very recently, and it clearly doesn't cover every aspect of a "First demo attempt." Otherwise, we'd have more shit like this popping up (Didier, for instance).

I have created a new thread and put comments at the start of each thread and made the titles as clear as possible within the space available.

So please stop squabbling and record demos however you like and post them in the threads where they best belong!

Let me know if any demos need to be moved from one thread to the other.

When I watch FDA, I want to see player's first impression on the map: how he reacts to traps, how long it took him to figure out what to do, and so on. Please do not use FDA acronym for anything else. Thanks.

And thanks to Grazza for fast reaction.

Memfis said:

When I watch FDA, I want to see player's first impression on the map: how he reacts to traps, how long it took him to figure out what to do, and so on. Please do not use FDA acronym for anything else. Thanks.

And thanks to Grazza for fast reaction.

Except that it was my first impression of the map. All I did was glance on DB2 for the general layout of the map (i.e. the shape the rooms, and a general feel of the monster count). It had absolutely no bearing on the play itself. In fact, I am confident in saying that in this particular instance, for this map, I would have played the exact same way and gotten the exact same result had I not taken the 10-15 seconds on DB2.

Then again, I understand the need for clear distinctions - there is no difference if i had only looked for a nanosecond on DB2, or if I had played the map through 20 times and analyzed every single area with the editor. I get all of that, so please, drop the sanctimonious attitude.

@Grazza - the need for clear distinctions is exactly why you split the posts and renamed this thread. That's why there is all of this "squabbling": the lines aren't drawn clearly enough, and the distinctions aren't either. I don't feel very comfortable coming up with arbitrary new categories for demos (example, the FRA thing was rather capricious and whimsical - I didn't take it seriously at all). On the other hand, I didn't feel comfortable just throwing that demo away as a failed max attempt - it clearly is closer to the "FDA" definition than it is to the "Failed max attempt" definition. There should be more lines drawn - after all, that's why categories even exist, or we'd all just throw every single speedrun into a large pile.

@Didier - The "shit" was in reference to the "shitty" situation, not your demos at all. In fact, I quite enjoy your demos.

Edit: It seems like every time, I tend to get drawn into these rather useless discussions regarding categories in demo recording (TAS distinctions, and now this). I'm giving up. Everyone can go their merry way, as this is not worth spending more of my time "squabbling" over. Grazza, you're right in that sense. :)

You don't know map, anything about it, just that it exists, and start recording it. Your purpose is to trigger exit, not fast, not killing everything, no sort of foreknowledge of stuff. If you die, you continue recording while the knowledge about map gained before dying is the only you have. This way you either win once or die trying, and THAT is what is entertaining about this. Also it has quite a value for author of map, I guess. Imo it's not worth posting if it contains foreknowledge, as it doesn't show exactly how would player handle level casually, which is the main point, nor has any speedrun value. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

j4rio - you are right.

I see Grazza already updated first post with detailed definition of FDA. Nothing to discuss anymore.

(and a friendly jab at Phml)

What.

All I see is split threads and confusing arguments. I'm always late to the party. :(

Check your pm. This doesn't need to go further, as we're already pretty far off topic. :)

I've played bgnymd too, but didn't like it. The levels look too empty for me. It's nice to have some space to maneuver, but not so many. Dunno, maybe I was sleepy or just in a bad mood. Anyway, here is the demos for e1m1-e1m5. I died on the cyber and didn't want to continue.

bgnymd11-15_mem_fda.zip

umh my attention was caught on those FDA lately and so I made a few too, but i bet most would be boring to watch after all ;o
Most of time I try to forecast the traps or the difficulties mappers planned, or limit top weapons usage, in few case for no reason :p

here comes the last levels I could actually do some FDAs still (the ones I hadn't played or watched demos already)
Lost myself in some maps, had quite some luck in others. Not so brilliant or exciting to watch, as i was often rather careful or expecting some secrets areas to be found and.. "help"
I probably missed those

map19:
I just lost myself.
map21:
uv-max reached. neat!
map22&23:
tricky maps ;o for sure I'll enjoy speedrunning here later on. and nice map design (this gloomy- rather dark textures are cool)
map24:
good music, nice map, but.. OOOOPS! did I just find a bug? (i'm rather good in finding the few (only-) way to screw up sometimes..
map25:
also a bit lost here, but worked fine after few deaths ;P
map26:
from the huge stock of ammo I was expecting a real carnage before the end, was a bit disappointed x(
map27:
jesus! gimme an armour anyone. and fuck chaingunners !
map28:
luls @ cybers at the end.

In the TGH map, I hope there's a second armour around, neverthless I was pretty unlucky I guess with the chaingunners, even If i've no idea how close to the exit I was actually.

NOTE FOR ANDY:
don't add those to the archive please.

cchest3 fda19 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28part1.zip

Please do not use spaces in zip names, it causes troubles in some browsers. Use "_" instead.

I found some of my Plutonia 2 FDA's.

map06 - 27:41
map07 - 13:46 (final time 7:13)
map08 - 9:06 (final time 6:58)
map09 - 21:44 (final time 21:06)
map10 - 16:10
map12 - 14:21
map13 - 40:20 (final time 26:39)
map14 - 16:00 (final time 12:07)
map15 - 16:49 (final time 0:19)
map16 - 19:50 (final time 0:32)
map17 - 49:39 (final time 47:06)
map18 - 34:13 (final time 26:21)
map19 - 39:41 (final time 8:44)
map21 - 22:07 (final time 21:42)
map23 - 26:59 (final time 26:07)

Part 1:

pl2fda_1.zip

Please zip your files. Saving in rar format and renaming as zip is not OK.

Repackaged and reattached. Part 3 is attached to this post.

Text files in the zips are always welcome too - I've added a very rudimentary txt.

pl2fda_3.zip

Sorry, I did it because overall size was very close to 400kb in zip. I wanted to fit the demos into 2 posts.
And thanks for the txt. I just forgot to include it.