Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninjalah

Artistic WADS

I'm looking for doom WADS that focus more on what the engine can handle/what can be made with the Doom engine. I have only seen two WADS like this, and I don't know the name of either.

One was where a paintbrush replaced the pistol and you basically walked through a museum type building. Another was made by someone here a long time ago, and included a huge button and 'stairs that go on forever' that was somewhat broken.

Much appreciated if you guys can find some WADS like these. Thanks. :D

Inferno by Chris Lutz was a good artistic wad, no monsters, just cool levels that show off some interesting Doom architecture. Playing thru DVII with -nomonsters is kinda fun, lots of cool shit to see there. AD2 was good, if that's your thing. And of course, the Sky May Be is the most artistic wad I've seen.

Foreverhood is a WAD that is strictly about the art.

My own attempt at an artsy WAD is "Phobia: the age".

The first one that springs to mind (seeing as I am playing it at the moment) is Sunder.wad. Some of the most amazing and unique architecture you will ever see in a doom level. Heh I got to have a preview of map 11 (unreleased as yet) and in terms of size and scale, man, it is not like anything I have seen. The 10 released maps are well worth a look in terms of architecture/design and style, even if slaughtermaps aren't your gameplay thing.

kristus said:

Foreverhood is a WAD that is strictly about the art.

My own attempt at an artsy WAD is "Phobia: the age".

Both of these are made by win. Also, Grove, as mentioned.

I actually just had another go at foreverhood, and speaking of which dose anyone here know of its current status?

Creaphis said:

I'm tempted to put Equinox in this category.

That is a good suggestion. I remember one map from that that actually had a huge UFO as the exit. The changes to the earlier levels as the game progressed on was also quite a nice touch.

@patrick: thanks

I would add Phocas Island 2 (?) to this list -- it has some very creative architecture that different from the typical Doom maps (if anything, it's more like Hexen than Doom).

Surprised no one's mentioned PHOBOS.wad and EARTH.wad

also gggmorks maps if that counts.

t.v. said:

Dada by Scientist fits this category.

The map was even used to make a psychedelic video.

Known Bugs : If you run the wad with ZDoom the lines on the walls will be out of phase with those on the flats.
May Not Run With... : Just use Zdaemon and it'll work

Weird.

t.v. said:

Whoa, more stuff like this. There were parts where I was like "Oh, so he made the floor move to enhance the experience?" Then I took a second look and noticed that the plasma gun next to me wasn't moving. Awesome.

Also, more links please. I know I know, I'm a lazy bastard. Sue me.

DuckReconMajor said:

What the hell was that?

t.v. said:

I've seen another ZDoom map like this, it was essentially all solid colors though you could navigate your way around by shooting bulletholes to see where the walls were.

I also recall an early map where self-referencing sectors and clever architecture were used to make you appear as if you were on an escher-style stairway, it was part of a larger castle and the whole castle was on its' side.

Someone also made a map which was MAP01: Entryway but used self-referencing sectors to make it upside down.

Bank's Cyberspace Concept maps might also be relevant.

t.v. said:

At first, while wandering around in there, I was just like "Cool." But then I stopped moving, and was like "Oh, so the scrolling floor also pushes the player." I was sure of this. Absolutely sure. Then I realized this was just an illusion - induced motion. Awesome.

If you want solid colour, new artwork and rather abstract/geometric architecure then Virus E1 may well be for you - be sure to play it in software rendering though. Here's a link:

http://www.phobus.servegame.com/virus.html

Self-promotion aside, most of these links are totally new to me and I can't wait for some proper free time in which to check them out.

I know there was one wad that provided the player with a few spraycans of various colours - combined with ZDoom's decals that was fun for a few minutes, and arguably as artistic as playing can get.

Oh, and for escher, I think PL2's MAP11 (whilst an annoying arch-vile map rather crippled by monster blocking lines) had a very cool escher-esque structure at one point.