Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enjay

The Cacodemon's skinny eye

I posted this over at Zdoom but it's of general interest so I'm reproducing it here.

It's taken me 16 years to spot! I was messing around cutting and pasting graphics to see if I could come up with some new sprite edits and I noticed this:

The skin/eye switch is basically made of the pink part of the cacodemon face copied and flipped.

I have never seen anyone else mention this so I'm guessing that it isn't that well known (though feel free to timeline me if you do know about it :P ).

I know about the invulnerability sphere using the (alpha?) lost soul face and the megasphere using the mancubus face. Any other shared graphics that may not be immediately obvious?

whoa. Also, that cacodemon with the blue eye is kind of cool, too.

the computer area map sprite has a frame from a computer texture.

Never noticed this, and TBH, I don't think I ever would have if you hadn't pointed it out.

neubejiita said:

So the demons made switches out of the skin of other demons in Doom?

Heh. I like this interpretation. Adds to the atmosphere.

Notice that all the sacrificed eyes are blue. Perhaps they made the race of 'good' cacodemons extinct.

Nice find. Belongs in the same category as that skinlow/player arm texture one. The frowning cacodemon frame is kind of hilarious.

The TEKWALL1 and TEKWALL3 textures appear to be just mixed and matched of both actual drawn pipes mixed with other techy art, and photos of circuit boards in between. It amazes me how well it flows together.

Somehow a part of me wonders that Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud sees these things in their graphics right away when they look at them. I'd like to talk to those guys and see if they can pick out any other things we haven't noticed after all these years.

I continue to work on my texture and spriting art to achieve such things.

some of the techywall textures and even the BFG itself was based on a New Bright toy in the early 90s. it was silver, called either Incerceptor or Disruptor, and had an orange light in the barrel. two or three dials on the side changed hte sounds it had. I had one as a kid and noticed how BFG-like it looked. Now if I could only find pictures of this Terminator-looking gun.

I love things like this seeing as I'm a huge fan of easter eggs. A good game can't be great without having some sort of easter eggs in it.

Can you guys post the pictures of the other tricks? There's alot of em here but only one picture.

AlektorophobiA said:

I don't know why the Cacodemon looks ¿cute? with that eye.

Know what? I agree. I kind of like it that way.

Hell is green. They don't let ethics go ahead of recycling anything! Why waste energy on creating brand new wall decorations when you can just hang your old, dead friends for your viewing (and using?) pleasures?

Unless, of course, Cacos skin regularly and they're using old Cacodemon skins rather than dead ones. Either way, it's recycling! Just like Revenants are.

Ninjalah said:

Can you guys post the pictures of the other tricks? There's alot of em here but only one picture.

Here's a quick view of one mancubus/megaphere match up.

And an alpha lost soul and Invulnerability

Is there any information about the Soul Sphere face or was that only drawn for the powerup and nothing else?

Mancusphere makes me want to see a space mancubus with a fishbowl space helmet.

I suspect that this one is really just coincidence because, aside from size, with it being such a simple image I'd be surprised if it was even worth cutting and pasting versus drawing from scratch. However, it makes an interesting image so, I present to you, a pain elemental with the invisibility sphere as an eye.

Cool findings...

Mancubus/Megasphere is the most obvious... never would have guessed the Invulnerability/old LostSoul one...