Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You're a Space marine...

Disease. An incurable though tangible threat. The demons prowl among the scorched barrens of Mars. Fleets of cacodemons infest every region. Spectres and imps swarming from every crevice. Deep down under Mars' subterra lies UAC's immense labyrinth of superhuman technology. The underground top secret lair of their most horrific experiments to date is buried in distress. This is UAC Ultra.

Super Jamie and I are proud to announce our cooperative mapping project. 11 single player/coop maps, boom compatible, a bunch of new textures (mostly) made from scratch to give a quake-ish though still original theme. We're nearing completion. It's likely we'll be finished sometime in February.

Some screenshots on the WIP page.

We'll keep ya updated.

Not really. the gameplay style is much different. Motornerve was more experimental with fun results. Gameplay in UAC Ultra is more progressive in this and matches styles reminiscent to Scythe 2 and Alien Vendetta. I'm aiming to give doom a new look while still keeping it's bare essentials.

Oh yeah and there will probably be a new monster here and there (via .BEX)

Screenshots of MAP10: Skagway

Needs a couple more new rock textures.

evil looking, I like it.

Not sure bout the "quake theme" you mentioned (hate quake themed maps in Doom), but Im certainly looking foreward to checking this out anyway!

keeping my eyes on this one for sure

Groovy. Motornerve kicked my ass. Looking forward to this.

this has a very nice look to it and i think you did a nice job matching the textures and feel to the words/story you used to describe it.

Rancid+Jamie=!?!?!
Completely looking forward to trying this out. Don't know how you're working together on the project, but there's some real potential in there...

40oz said:

Oh yeah and there will probably be a new monster here and there (via .BEX)

...boo :(

Jodwin said:

...boo :(

I usually hate new monsters too, I will try my darnedest to make it not suck balls.

40oz said:

I usually hate new monsters too, I will try my darnedest to make it not suck balls.

What about a monster colossus (or powerful arcanist instead) that once in a hundred occasions, fires a doomsday projectile in your direction, instead of his usual magilla?

Similarly, your last screenshots look like how I envision Doomsday on Mars, with marching armies of Imp Warlords.

Jodwin said:

Rancid+Jamie=!?!?!
Completely looking forward to trying this out. Don't know how you're working together on the project, but there's some real potential in there...

Sending each other wad files through the magic of the interwebs! Working together on the maps in different ways, like finishing each others' layouts off or chopping and changing flows or taking it in turns to do parts then passing it back, one map Jon laid out and I did Thing placement which turned out rad. IRC makes quick exchange of ideas easy.

Nearing completion. Pretty sure this will be done sometime in February.

Screenshot of MAP01: Dig

Screenshot of MAP03: Collapsys

Screenshot of MAP04: Pyrolysis

This is looking pretty damn cool :D. I like the contrasting colors your using. It really makes the maps "pop". I'll be keeping my eyes on this.

This is looking better and better, and it started out looking pretty good.

The way you two map, this should have a tight-as-all-get-out ammo balance that will make even simple situations tough... Oh, and it'll be good, too. Liking Skagway's screens... moody looking.

Looking forward to the release!

The textures in this look really good! They look much darker than the stock Doom 2 textures, which is a nice change.

kristus said:

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

About the danger signs, I got the idea from a lot of hardcore bands I listen to, often their logos on their album art or t-shirts will exclaim their band name using giant capital letters and repetition like so.

I don't care if it's not very practical of the UAC Ultra personell of that facility to paint the same word on the walls that many times. Doom was never meant to be practical, and I like it a lot. Also that room DOES in fact encompass many dangerous hazards; and thus it stays. :)

I'm always looking for textures that are of Doom origin. Did you make those? Did you get them from somewhere? May I have them?

I made many of them from scratch. a few of them are heavily modified doom textures. Super Jamie and I had been talking about potentially releasing a standalone UAC Ultra texture pack shortly after UAC Ultra's release.

You guys like screenshots right?

MAP10: Skagway

Looking awesome. If this isn't a secret, what kind of gameplay style are you going for? Recently I've found that HR style maps have been a lot of fun.

I want the comp texture from the first screenshot SOOOO MUUUCH. Looks awesome.

Judging from past maps from both 40oz and SJ I'd say it'd be the more controlled fights of plutonia vs. HR, although that might change in the later maps considering some of motornerve.

Patrick said:

Recently I've found that HR style maps have been a lot of fun.

You're in luck. The first couple maps start off with mostly imps, varying zombies, a couple cacodemons and a revenant. The difficulty picks up a little by MAP03 where monster population increases a good bit. Lots of imps and demons, and harder monsters such as revenants, hell knights and mancs become more frequent, etc. The later maps have much more monsters with some hell barons, arachnatrons, and occasionally a spider demon or cyberdemon in the big arenas.

While I've been trying to steer away from the Motornerve direction by mapping in a style where you clear out a room one by one, Super Jamie has been throwing in a handful of deadly traps to shoot your adrenaline once in a while. IMO the balance is working out perfectly.

I've playtested the first 4 maps (which are about 99% finished save for a couple bugs) many many times and I think it's absolutely perfect. But I dunno if that says a lot, knowing where all the monsters are before hand is a good advantage, even if I play intentionally lazily. We've discussed a couple people we'd like to try this out before we release it so we can make quick changes based on their criticism.