Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MechaCupOfNoodles

Noob to doombuilder help please

I just started using doombuilder 2 and I know how to use it for the most part and I'm even understand how to add monsters in XWE. I still gotta learn scripts and lump. My question is and this is prob gonna sound dumb but what is Doom in Hexen format? Does it run on the doom 2 wad or what? Do I have to edit something? What? Thanks for your time

Not a pro on this, but I've lurked a while so here goes ...

As I understand it, doom in hexen takes hexen's parameter coding into doom (same engine, just doom has only a few actions with amounts, all hardcoded, i.e. the 'raise 512 units' action). You have to use a port that supports it though, the zdoom family is the general run-of-the-mill port for scripting etc., but others have their own script forms.

I'm not sure on which iwads it can use, but it should work with plutonia/TNT evilution if not ultimate doom, and yes doom 2 is the standard.

All you do with the doom in hexen format is load doom2.wad, maybe a resource wad if you want, make the map, then you can play it in any compatible port, zdoom-based ones are very easy to launch, just drag and drop the wad.

But really ... I would only bother with scripting if you're already used to writing it out. I map almost exclusively in boom and I can do basically whatever I need to make the gameplay how I want it. Voodoo dolls (boom's 'scripting', per say) help a lot though.

Scripting is very easy once you get into it. It would help to be familiar with C++, but it isn't necessary.

Doom in Hexen is slightly more complicated, using a lot more ZDoom features. I'd start out in Doom or Doom 2 format, and watch the tutorials.

ArmouredBlood said:

Not a pro on this, but I've lurked a while so here goes ...

As I understand it, doom in hexen takes hexen's parameter coding into doom (same engine, just doom has only a few actions with amounts, all hardcoded, i.e. the 'raise 512 units' action). You have to use a port that supports it though, the zdoom family is the general run-of-the-mill port for scripting etc., but others have their own script forms.

I'm not sure on which iwads it can use, but it should work with plutonia/TNT evilution if not ultimate doom, and yes doom 2 is the standard.

All you do with the doom in hexen format is load doom2.wad, maybe a resource wad if you want, make the map, then you can play it in any compatible port, zdoom-based ones are very easy to launch, just drag and drop the wad.

But really ... I would only bother with scripting if you're already used to writing it out. I map almost exclusively in boom and I can do basically whatever I need to make the gameplay how I want it. Voodoo dolls (boom's 'scripting', per say) help a lot though.

So would GZDoom latest version work with Doom in Hexen Format?