Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Full-Around Sky

Seeing Base Ganymede's sky reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: how do you make a sky that goes all the way around? I first saw it in PHOBOS.WAD and I opened it up to find he'd dome something to the TEXTURE1 lump, which I have no idea how to mess with.

to do this you have to make a sector around the area you want to have the effect. Then lower the ceiling under the floor and have the ceiling be the sky texture (ex F_sky) (-8 units is the easiest).
thats what was used in Base Ganymede

I think Duck means a sky that doesn't repeat every 90 degrees.

To have such a sky, you need to make a texture that is 1024x128 out of four 256x128 patches.

Doom only supports patches up to 256 wide, but you can combine several of them to make a wider texture.

No idea for XWE, but in Slumped, after selecting a TEXTUREx lump, you just select the texture to edit (or click on "New texture" to create a new one), select the patch you want to add, then click on "Add patch". Then you can adjust the offsets by drag-n-drop or by entering values in the input boxes. Once you're happy, click on "Save lump" then on "Save wad" and you're good to go!

DuckReconMajor said:

How do I put multiple patches into a TEXTURE entry? I change the Patches value and nothing happens (I'm using XWE).

In XWE - having set the width, height and number of patches for your texture - select "New Patch" from the Texture menu, enter it's PID or PatchName, lather, rinse and repeat for the other patches then "Save" when done.
XWE places patches left-to-right then top-to-bottom (depending on their dimensions relative to the texture) until it runs out of space then starts layering patches on patches. Adjusting offsets is very much like SLumpEd.