Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sleepy_boy

level explanations

OK, some levels in doom have good, functional designs, however, some levels have no logical design and are very useless in the long run (this excludes hell levels).

Examples:

Functional: e2m2(package sorting), map10 (refueling station)

Dysfunctional: map05, e1m7 (hardly any computers)

So anyway, anyone who wants to give some explanations to their level of choice can here. Map 24 is (in my opinon) a mining operation.

The point in DOOM has never been any kind of functional realism. The whole atmosphere of the game is, imo, due to this unrealistic design. Somehow when you walk in those bases, you know something's wrong... like those screens in e1m1 way out of range for a normal human being.

The point in DOOM has never been any kind of functional realism. The whole atmosphere of the game is, imo, due to this unrealistic design. Somehow when you walk in those bases, you know something's wrong... like those screens in e1m1 way out of range for a normal human being.

Gotta agree with that.

If you think trying to explain Doom levels is hard, try explaining ROTT levels. There was about 5% indoor area.

It may sound blasphemous, but Duke Nukem 3d is the only old FPS where all the levels made at least 90% sense. This is up to and including Quake 2.

they're just games, who cares, as long as you have a fun time playing them that's all that matters.

they're just games, who cares, as long as you have a fun time playing them that's all that matters.

oh my god! a sane person!:)

I never said they weren't fun. THey just don't make any sense...

...like anime...

...with fun.

oh my god! a sane person!:)

whoa! come one just called me sane!! this has to mean something, hmm.

If you think trying to explain Doom levels is hard, try explaining ROTT levels. There was about 5% indoor area.

It may sound blasphemous, but Duke Nukem 3d is the only old FPS where all the levels made at least 90% sense. This is up to and including Quake 2.

Yes, agree. Unfortunately Duke was poorly executed so the potential for the realism was never, um... realised?

And thanks for deleting my earlier comment Lüt, but you're too late, DC already did it for me! =>

And thanks for deleting my earlier comment Lüt, but you're too late, DC already did it for me! =>

Eh, the forums crashed before I could get to his :P

The levels in doom whernt about looking real life as possible or making sense, there basicly maps to kill hellspawns in.

I like my levels with sense, thank you. Actually I had some great fun trying to explain certain areas in DOOM. It's basically easy on E1 and E2 while E3, E4 and D2 don't make any sense at all.

using your brain to play games sounds just dumb. Games are supposed to be fun. Why is school boring? cause you gotta use your head! That's why games should be the exact opposite.

Civilization is just about my all-time favorite game. I'd say that it uses a lot of brain, but it's very fun as well.

I played that game before, I don't think it involves that much brain power.

Fuck, brain usage is only boring when you're doing stuff against your will. If I want to play HMM3 I'll gladly use my head...

I played that game before, I don't think it involves that much brain power.

Did you actually beated it?

Ahem...
Here's my level explanations:

MAP01: An entryway.
MAP08: A circle of death.
MAP09: A pit.
MAP30: An icon of sin.
E2M1: A Deimos anomaly.

(to be continued...)

You syntax junkies make me sick! Take your high talk, your big words, your PANTS, your postal system, your color TV sets, your Tony Jacklin golf clubs, and your bleeding Masonic secret handshakes YOU WOULDN'T LET ME JOIN WOULD YOU, YOU BLACKBALLING BASTARDS! WELL I WOULDN'T BECOME A FREEMASON NOW IF YOU WENT DOWN ON YOUR LOUSY, STINKING, PURULENT KNEES AND BEGGED ME!

oops.

DC

Zaldron: do you mean "Did you actually beat it?" ?

Nope, I meant "Let the Fierce Lobster Fight Against The Great King of the Rift!" :P