Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sleepy_boy

level explanations

Yeah, that's why I don't like playing Doom 2 over again. It's reply value is deminished because the game makes no sense. Without a sense of realism, it was a rush the first time but after that it got boring real quick.

That's why I enjoy realistic megawads. I mean they don't to be ultra-detailed or anything but as long as they look a lot like what their supposed to be, and look nice too that's good. The only map that accomplished that in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 IMO is E2M2. Maybe some of the E3 levels, since they were supposed to be set in hell.

You syntax junkies make me sick! Take your high talk, your big words, your PANTS, your postal system, your color TV sets, your Tony Jacklin golf clubs, and your bleeding Masonic secret handshakes YOU WOULDN'T LET ME JOIN WOULD YOU, YOU BLACKBALLING BASTARDS! WELL I WOULDN'T BECOME A FREEMASON NOW IF YOU WENT DOWN ON YOUR LOUSY, STINKING, PURULENT KNEES AND BEGGED ME!

oops.

DC

You should go to my dad's lodge, there are three black senior members, or worshipful brothers, or whatever it is they're called.

Anyway, you're a member of DW, ain't that enough? ;)

My great-grandfather was a freemason...got the symbols on his gravestone and everything. not that i care.

as for e1m1's computer terminals above normal levels, all i can say is:

go to a sports bar.

Look at the TV's not at eye level.

think for a second.

My great-grandfather was a freemason...got the symbols on his gravestone and everything. not that i care.

as for e1m1's computer terminals above normal levels, all i can say is:

go to a sports bar.

Look at the TV's not at eye level.

think for a second.

You realize there's quite a difference between a Hangar and a sports bar? People don't need to use the TVs, only watch them. In a hangar people might actually need to use the computers believe it or not.

Alright, here's a better example...

a hanger is like an airport, right?

Go to an airport.

Look at a "arrival/departure" moniter there.

What are you looking at?

Alright, here's a better example...

a hanger is like an airport, right?

Go to an airport.

Look at a "arrival/departure" moniter there.

What are you looking at?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of but still you can't say that Doom wasn't totally unrealistic.

Maybe some of the E3 levels, since they were supposed to be set in hell.

Well as long as the texturing is accurate it's really hard to say a Hell map didn't accomplish it's job. I mean, you can't really look at an E3 map and say 'aw, I've been to Hell, it's nothing like that at all'.

Maybe some of the E3 levels, since they were supposed to be set in hell.

Well as long as the texturing is accurate it's really hard to say a Hell map didn't accomplish it's job. I mean, you can't really look at an E3 map and say 'aw, I've been to Hell, it's nothing like that at all'.

Funny, I would've pictured it to look more like my school.

OK, some levels in doom have good, functional designs, however, some levels have no logical design and are very useless in the long run (this excludes hell levels).

It's hell. It doesn't have to be functional. It has to be painfull, burning, and creepy

Funny, I would've pictured it to look more like my school.

I was thinking Los Angeles.

dan, lol.

I think for it's time Doom was mega-realstic. For an eight year old game to still seem fairly realsitic today is remarkable.

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't you all agree on DOOM taking place in 2800 or 2900? If so, then I don't suppose we'd be able to explain the facilities of humans 900 years in the future.

i'd like to add the spirits world (D2 map28).it is not set in realistic place.but it shows the imagination of how hell would be look like.

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't you all agree on DOOM taking place in 2800 or 2900? If so, then I don't suppose we'd be able to explain the facilities of humans 900 years in the future.

'They' did? That has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard, who'd still be using pistols, shotguns and chainguns by then?

And also, in one of the TNT Evilution maps (20?) there is a lorry trailer for goodness sake..

Nah, that's just bollocks I'm afraid. Maybe late 21st century, this one now!!

i'd like to add the spirits world (D2 map28).it is not set in realistic place.but it shows the imagination of how hell would be look like.

yes, this is how more hell levels should look. I remember the 1st time I played that level, whatching the ammount of lava and cracks grow as you went furthur in, the big lava cavern with the spiderminds, the throne room. This is hell to me.

going unrealistic again, Downtown (map13) is just plain weird. skyscrapers that are mabie 6 stories tall and 10 yards wide? doesn't make sense.

going unrealistic again, Downtown (map13) is just plain weird. skyscrapers that are mabie 6 stories tall and 10 yards wide? doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that they had only one room per building, and if they ever wanted pressed cacodemon for dinner, they could run down to the local crusher.

Not to mention that they had only one room per building, and if they ever wanted pressed cacodemon for dinner, they could run down to the local crusher.

Have you ever had Cacodemon pressé for dinner?

No, don't be so quick to judge, then.

My fellow Barons of Hell and I find it delicious, thankyou. Zaldron, would you like some pressé? How about you, sleepy boy? None for you, dan.

Well, I think that while a lot of the levels in Doom don't make any sense in design, they at least stick to the overall Episode they're in. All of the E1-style levels aren't designed with actual humans living on them in mind at all (computers hanging out of the ceiling, no bathrooms, no no living-quarters, etc.), but, then again, who cares? Doom is merely is a videogame.
Doom2 on the other hand, has hardly a level at all that sticks to what the level name is. Refueling Base-sure, it's fun, yeah, however, where's all the refueling stuff at? And nothing to refuel? Entryway-what kind of starport looks like this one, anyway? It doesn't make any sense, but again, it's a videogame.

'They' did? That has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard, who'd still be using pistols, shotguns and chainguns by then?

And also, in one of the TNT Evilution maps (20?) there is a lorry trailer for goodness sake..

Nah, that's just bollocks I'm afraid. Maybe late 21st century, this one now!!

I always thought it was like 2050-2080.

It's curious, the Doom Bible contains several entries regarding levels, it seems that back then they wanted to make levels with sense.

It's interesting to note how Doom engined games (except Strife) make no sense when it comes to displaying useful enviroments. BUILD games, on the other hand, heavily focused on setting a recognizable (if possible) level.

Yeah...name one Duke Nukem level that doesn't make sense...except maybe a couple of the secret levels.

It's curious, the Doom Bible contains several entries regarding levels, it seems that back then they wanted to make levels with sense.

It's interesting to note how Doom engined games (except Strife) make no sense when it comes to displaying useful enviroments. BUILD games, on the other hand, heavily focused on setting a recognizable (if possible) level.

BUILD games also aren't as fun.

It's not about the whole level making sense, but at least there are some spots that you can identify, bathrooms, mirrors, fire extinguishers, signs, magazines, etc.

DooM sports a pretty big texture list, and a decent amount of decoration, but none of them work if you're trying to imitate Duke's map style.

Entryway-what kind of starport looks like this one, anyway? It doesn't make any sense, but again, it's a videogame.

I's not the entryway to the starport, it's the entryway to a military base. you're headed towards the starport, and arrive there at map 7.

how about you, sleepy_boy?

<bragging>
<lying>

i'll eat almost anything. i've eaten a little glass once (/me is reminded of a season 1 episode of hbo's "OZ").

</lying>

i've eaten a candy cane with the wrapper still on.

Cacodemon tastes like chicken.

</bragging>