Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cronyne

Changing a Map's name

I'd like to know how to change a mpas "nicename", as MAP01 is Entryway as it's nicename. I'd like to change Entryway to something else, so that name will show up in the automap, and is also recognizable by the MAPINFO lump.

I have SlumpEd, and XWE at my disposal for wad editing. Some help please?

if you lock arond in the files there will be a blank side whit only the map name. replace it whit you'r map's name.

//Martin

Cronyne said:

I'd like to know how to change a mpas "nicename", as MAP01 is Entryway as it's nicename. I'd like to change Entryway to something else, so that name will show up in the automap, and is also recognizable by the MAPINFO lump.

I have SlumpEd, and XWE at my disposal for wad editing. Some help please?

You speak about a MAPINFO lump. Then I suggest you use it. It is after all the recommended way to change map names if you mod for a port that supports it.

E.g.:

Map MAP01 "Invaded base"
next MAP02
secretnext MAP02
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 5
par 30
sucktime 1
music D_RUNNIN
And now MAP01 is called "Invaded base".

Swec said:

if you lock arond in the files there will be a blank side whit only the map name. replace it whit you'r map's name.

//Martin

This doesn't make any sense.

Thanks a lot, that worked!

I think I tried that before and it didn't work... aw well, I know it works. Thank you!

Gez said:

You speak about a MAPINFO lump. Then I suggest you use it. It is after all the recommended way to change map names if you mod for a port that supports it.

E.g.:

Map MAP01 "Invaded base"
next MAP02
secretnext MAP02
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 5
par 30
sucktime 1
music D_RUNNIN
And now MAP01 is called "Invaded base".

how do you make the map's name come up on the screen when you first start. I see that alot in multiplayer levels and stuff.

Contorted_Extirpation said:

how do you make the map's name come up on the screen when you first start. I see that alot in multiplayer levels and stuff.

I suppose they use an ENTER script with a Print instruction. ACS, in other words.

I'd suggest looking at the maps in question to see how they do it.

Here's an ACS script that will do what you want:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 OPEN
{
 delay(35 * 3);
 Hudmessage(s:"Choose Your Fate!"; HUDMSG_PLAIN, 0, CR_RED, 0.5, 0.5, 5.0);
 delay(35 * 6);
}
Just change the "Choose Your Fate!" text to whatever you want instead.

Subatomic said:

Here's an ACS script that will do what you want:

Just change the "Choose Your Fate!" text to whatever you want instead.

thanks so much dude. I really have no idea how to learn from the doom wiki section with this. its all too confusing. I havent gotten back to my map yet (i get bored of doom from time to time), so Ill use your message later at some point. thank you again

If you are looking to change the graphic seen on the intermission screen, you can use Doomword

Note it produces words in 32bpp so you will have to load Doom's palette onto the graphic THEN load it into the proper graphic lump.

Mr. Chris said:

If you are looking to change the graphic seen on the intermission screen, you can use Doomword

Since he mentions MAPINFO, that's not needed. All the ports that implement some sort of MAPINFO are able to build the graphic themselves.

Mr. Chris said:

Note it produces words in 32bpp so you will have to load Doom's palette onto the graphic THEN load it into the proper graphic lump.

thank you for your concern, but I have no idea how to do any of that lol im sure I would just need to modify MAPINFO