Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zoost

Is there any indication that Id is reading this (or any other) forum

I saw this post of Paul Jaquays at Quake3World

"Submit all bugs to wolfbugs@idsoftware.com. Be clear in your description of the bug and if possible describe how you can make it reliably re-occur.

No one at id is prowling this forum (or any other forum) looking for bug reports ... not even me.

------------------
Paul Jaquays
id Software: Designer"

Is there any indication that Id is reading this (or any other) forum? I thought they were really close to their fanbase! Or are they just close to the mappers and skinners and modmakers?

I doubt that Id are stalkin' these forums, seeing as there has been periods with a lot of immaturety here - those damn g*****.cx links that some people on these boards apparently like to post should be enough to scare them away.

Paul Jacquays is very involved with the mapmaking community and hangs around at Quake3World all the time. John Carmack makes the occasional post on Slashdot.org. I don't think anyone at id is actively reading these forums, because they don't have the time to read senseless crap and figure out why half the users have "NUZZLE NUZZLE!" in their sig these days.

I believe they should at least periodically monitor and be open to 'grass roots' opinions.Many a company has folded as a result of thinking they know better than their customers.Problem often is though people at the head of these companies are now so rich and sorted it doesn't really make much difference to their lives anyway because they'll never want for money again if they've been wise with their investments.It's often said,'Achieving success is MUCH easier than sustaining it!'Beware ID.

There is no need for user feedback anyway. Jaquays likes to hang out at Mapcenter, giving tips and stuff. They're somewhere in the middle of research and blunt development. I'm not expecting them to visit forums until Doomtest is released.

Will DW be the chosen one? I doubt it, but I have no other choice but to delete all the senseless crap that shows up here.

dsm points out certain inmaturity over General. That's not the case. You see, this forums have quite some history, and pretty much like #doom, they're used for offtopic. If you ask me, a general look of that forum says "old-time friends" and not "bunch of idiots".

Many a company has folded as a result of thinking they know better than their customers.

*cough*Sierra*cough*
If it weren't for Half-Life, that company would be flailing right now.

I don't think that a lack of direct user input necessarily makes for a bad game (or one without valuable hooks for the game community). After all, many of the best games were made in relative isolation; the most id has done to change a game before launch has been "public test" versions, and there it's mainly to catch bugs or playbalance issues that wouldn't get caught privately.

There's also the worry about too many cooks spoiling the broth. It's not universal, naturally, but many people would just be asking for unrealistic features or playbalancing that favours the way they play. They almost sound like a 6-year-old sitting on Santa's lap: "and I want an easy map editor, and 32-player co-op, and make the rocket launcher kill everyone in the room, and and..."

id Software has enough experience in the field to make something without much public influence. Besides, the ultimate goal for any design team is to make the game they would want to play, not something that fits a demographic. They should just know not to exist in complete isolation from the outside.

I've seen requests from idsoftware.com in the server logs so yes, someone from id Software does frequent these forums.

I've seen requests from idsoftware.com in the server logs so yes, someone from id Software does frequent these forums.

Mmmh, define frequent. Every month or week or what?

With the posts we've had on here lately? Christ. I'd stick with no less than a week...IF your lucky...

Sensible,they took my advice.But yeah,more than once a week and sanity is seriously endangered.

But yeah,more than once a week and sanity is seriously endangered.

I'm the living proof.

We're ALL the living proof. Do you actually believe for a second that any ONE of us is actually SANE???

Well I'd like to think those who show up as "guests" aren't really that crazy. But then again they inmediatly turn into those newbies we keep executing, so I guess you're right.

Define!
/me waves crowbar at Ling
/me gets glared at by Ling
Ahh!
/me drops crowbar and runs off

Define!
/me waves crowbar at Ling
/me gets glared at by Ling
Ahh!
/me drops crowbar and runs off

/Ling pulls out Desert Eagle and halts Danarchist's escape

Frequently enough.

oh...my...god...

Frequently enough.

Well, I'm happy they listen to their customers. Because If you read trough the crap here you get a general sense of what we want (and that is all Id can give us)

dsm points out certain inmaturity over General. That's not the case. You see, this forums have quite some history, and pretty much like #doom, they're used for offtopic. If you ask me, a general look of that forum says "old-time friends" and not "bunch of idiots".

Nope, that wasn't what I meant.
I meant that there is a lot of immaturity, which appears on occasion, but there are certainly lots of intelligent posts as well.
Around New Year a frightful lot of lame posts appeared. This was one occasion where people "forget" to act mature, but it is not always so.

I know that these forums are a lot about "old-time friends", I'm merely saying that "a few idiots pop up on occasion to ruin the image of these forums".

I hope I made myself clear.

Oh yeah...I never told you guys:

My frind got a request in his e-mail to join an online singles club...

...from one J. Romero.

Well this place is much better than say, any Forumplanet msgboard. Doom's not exactly the kind of game that attracts a lot of young customers. They entered into the gaming scene with a Quake or an Unreal.

Eventually, this place will be so packed up with people that I might need another moderator (if not more).

Well this place is much better than say, any Forumplanet msgboard. Doom's not exactly the kind of game that attracts a lot of young customers. They entered into the gaming scene with a Quake or an Unreal.

Eventually, this place will be so packed up with people that I might need another moderator (if not more).

unfortunate young people...

a new moderator? hhmmm...

Not really unfortunate, they've entered the gaming scene after all those plain simple old games. That creates a taste for inmersive experiences. Really old games can be fun for the nostalgic, but are totally pathetic for a newcomer.

My frind got a request in his e-mail to join an online singles club...

...from one J. Romero.

I was cruising around Amazon.com when I found a book review written by John Romero. I think it was some manga or something... His e-mail was @ionstorm.com (this was about a year ago) and he'd written a bunch of reviews for map design and architecture books.

good to hear that they are visiting this place.there are some intiligence discussion here.and many hard-core doom fan here have good idea about what doom should be.

yah the idiots poping up occasion is what make forum image bad.just like recently appleboy case.i feel pity for our moderators that they have to keep deleting this retraded things instead of finishing the most anticipated doom megawad of all time "millinium"(correct me if i spelled wrong = P )

Millennium.Yeah they only need to be aware of general moods,happenings and opinions,it's easy to ignore the dross.Lol anyway.

yeah, considering that we DO want the folks at Id gleaning some opinions from this forum, I'd be doing some major thread-deleting around here, IF i was a mod. but i'm no mod, so whatever....and anyway, the mods we've got right now are doing pretty good, so no one can really complain.