Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Terminator Doom?

We have come a long way in Doom editing, we have seen projects based off just about every idea possible, including many movie and TV franchises. But the one thing that has never been truly done, for reasons i cannot understand, is a project for Doom based off the Terminator franchise. I mean, the idea just strikes me as having massive potential of being a kick-ass. Why has this never been done? Would anybody be interested in such a project?

Is it a lack interest? Lack of resources? Or does it just seem too ambitious and difficult?

Just a thought.

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure I've played several terminator partial conversions from the past. Unfortunately almost every one was poorly done.

The problem is finding a balance.
Playing as a terminator would have the inherent feeling of every combat encounter being too easy.
Playing as anything else (Freedom Fighters, etc.) would be just unfair, because you're fighting terminators.
The best thing to do would be to have a earlier point in time towards the beginning of skynet's reign and place the character as an escaped prisoner from one of the internment camps who stumbles upon a research facility. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to accomplish because a lot of the default enemies would just need a re-skin to become terminators/cyborgs, then it's a matter of level architecture and design. And new guns. Many, many new guns....

Plus, Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Cyberdemon.

Just an idea...

th3malleus said:

The problem is finding a balance.
Playing as a terminator would have the inherent feeling of every combat encounter being too easy.
Playing as anything else (Freedom Fighters, etc.) would be just unfair, because you're fighting terminators.

I totally disagree.

If it was to take place in the ruins of the future (which is the ideal scenario) and you played as a resistance fighter, you could have futuristic weapons such as explosives and laser/plasma weapons (stolen from SkyNET and modified of course). This would make it plausible for the player to handle terminators and other hostile machines. The player could also be armed with modern-day firearms packed with armour-piercing explosive-tipped rounds.

If the player was to play as a re-programmed terminator (this would make sence, it would explain how the player can take so much abuse and have such bulky movement) it would automatically have a fighting chance against other Terminators, being able to carry a lot of firepower at the same time.

It's just a question of using your imagination.

40oz said:

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure I've played several terminator partial conversions from the past. Unfortunately almost every one was poorly done.

Like i said, it has never 'truly' been done, or properly. Most of the old attempted (between 1994 and 1996) conversions were just a failed mish-mash of what was availble in terms of resources (most of the times, not even the levels were original but stolen from somewhere else).

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Yeah, you really should get around to doing this.

I never said that. Alas, my mapping skill are practically non-existent, i am however very skilled in DDF/RTS coding (EDGE). I would of course hop on such a project if it were to surface.

CeeJay said:

If it was to take place in the ruins of the future (which is the ideal scenario) and you played as a resistance fighter, you could have futuristic weapons such as explosives and laser/plasma weapons (stolen from SkyNET and modified of course). This would make it plausible for the player to handle terminators and other hostile machines. The player could also be armed with modern-day firearms packed with armour-piercing explosive-tipped rounds.

Point taken.

I once planned to make one in a city where you play as the terminator and have to find John before the T-1000. Then you have to lead John to certain spot and avoid the T-1000 as he'll kill John if he has the chance.

Vegeta said:

I once planned to make one in a city where you play as the terminator and have to find John before the T-1000. Then you have to lead John to certain spot and avoid the T-1000 as he'll kill John if he has the chance.

Did anything ever come of it?

th3malleus said:

Plus, Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Cyberdemon.

No, Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Terminator ;)

I swear I saw somewhere something named TERMDOOM, but for starters there's nothing as such on /idgames/themes.

I already played a wad called Aliens Versus Predator Versus Terminator. It was made in the late 90s

You are the terminator, and must kill both alines, predators, and zombie colonial marines. The best old-school wad I ever played.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I already played a wad called Aliens Versus Predator Versus Terminator. It was made in the late 90s

You are the terminator, and must kill both alines, predators, and zombie colonial marines. The best old-school wad I ever played.

Yeah, i played it too. It can be found over at the Doom Wad Station. Unfortunaly it didn't have much graphics and the little it had was very lacking and barely useable. Good effort though, for being a 1994/1995 WAD anyways.

printz said:

No, Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Terminator ;)

That Terminator is NOT based on THE Terminator from the movie franchise but can definetly be used as an enemy in a Terminator themed MOD.

printz said:

I swear I saw somewhere something named TERMDOOM, but for starters there's nothing as such on /idgames/themes.

Well, that's my point exactly, there is no TERMINATOR sub-directory in the themes folder nor has there ever been one. There should be one.

I agree that a Future War setting is compelling, but I don't think it translates that well to Doom. Urban ruins, HK tanks/jets, and even plasma weapons would all be better served by a model-based engine.

david_a said:

I agree that a Future War setting is compelling, but I don't think it translates that well to Doom. Urban ruins, HK tanks/jets, and even plasma weapons would all be better served by a model-based engine.

Well, many Doom ports DO support MD2 models nowadays... (GZDoom, Doomsday, EDGE, etc.)

Any MD2 artists out there?

I must say, so far in this thread there sure has been a lot of negtivity.

I honestly can not see why a Terminator themed mod for Doom wouldn't be possible. I mean many of the source-ports do have advanced scripting, MD2 support, level effects such as room-over-room, slopes, water etc.

I would gladly do it myself if someone was willing to hop onboard the project and pitch in.

I just don't think the setting plays to the strengths of Doom at all. A static MD2 HK Tank jerking around like a normal Doom enemy? No, thanks. The amount of effort that would be needed for resources and level creation to pull off the correct Future War feel is also... non-trivial.

An 80's Action mod like Maes hints at honestly makes more sense - facing hordes of dimwitted enemies is something Doom is already good at doing.

Nice idea, but IMO a Terminator mod would be better suited to a game like Quake II.

*cough*moar Aliens mods*cough*

CeeJay said:

I must say, so far in this thread there sure has been a lot of negtivity.

I honestly can not see why a Terminator themed mod for Doom wouldn't be possible. I mean many of the source-ports do have advanced scripting, MD2 support, level effects such as room-over-room, slopes, water etc.

I would gladly do it myself if someone was willing to hop onboard the project and pitch in.

What exactly do you need help with?

th3malleus said:

What exactly do you need help with?

Levels - i would imagine missiom-based scenarios.

Resources - enemy sprites or alternatively MD2 models of T-800 (in diffrent forms with diffrent weapons), T-1000, H/K Aerial, T-Tank and any other machines either seen in the movies or any of the games.

CeeJay said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Nothing new here, moving right along.

Here is a little demonstration WAD i threw together, nothing overly fancy, just showcasing some of the possibilities.

http://rapidshare.com/files/334263011/TDDF.WAD.html

It requires EDGE 1.34

It features weapons from Terminator: Future Shock/SkyNET (11) and Terminator sprite model(s) from Terminator: Rampage. I am aware of the fact that the Terminator is far too easy to kill but like i said this is just a demonstration.

I think I have played some Terminator TC's and they all sucked, A good one is yet to come!

OK since this thread has gone off topic, it has become full of suck.

I think terminator doom might work if it were like the "present day" parts: running away from a really strong, hard to kill enemy. It would even work with DOOMs AI.