Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

My grandma

Today at 4:55 my beloved grandmother Bettie Haley, who liked to be called "Nanny," passed away peacefully in the company of her family, with grand kids and great grand kids playing in the living room just as she had wished. She stopped breathing on her own after slipping into unconsciousness for about half a day, at the end of her battle against lung cancer.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Floyd Haley, one son Daniel Haley, and her cherished grandson Austin Haley.

She was a strong-willed woman and always fought courageously for her family and for what she felt was right. I owe to her many things, and she never failed to let me know how proud she was of me. She outlasted the doctors' expectations and even at the very end seemed to fight to hang on for the ones she loved.

She always loved to talk about the Civil War and the South in particular. I hope that she rests now under the shade of those same trees which General Jackson once espied from afar. I will always love her.

That's quite sad, Quasar.
Atleast you know she died peacefully...
Sadly I lost both my grandmothers from both parents in a 2 month period... One of cancer and other with Alzheimer's.

But you'll make it through, as I did.

kristus said:

You have my condolences.

And mine. Sorry for your loss. At least it was peaceful.

I'm sorry to hear it. It's good that she outlasted the doctors' expectations, but that's probably not what you want to hear right now. :\

A passing is always sad but thankfully it was a peaceful one. You and your family have my thoughts and I hope everyone is coping well and receives the support they need.

The joyous and sad cycle of life continues for the rest of us while she is at peace and with the rest of her family.

She sounds like quite a person, and nothing can take away the time you spent with her.

Glad she passed away happy, sorry man. May I ask her age?

It's good that she lived long enough to see her great grandchildren though, some don't go that far. Be happy that she was happy in her last moments on this Earth.

Ninjalah said:

Glad she passed away happy, sorry man. May I ask her age?

It's good that she lived long enough to see her great grandchildren though, some don't go that far. Be happy that she was happy in her last moments on this Earth.

That's exactly my thoughts.

Quasar said:

Today at 4:55 my beloved grandmother Bettie Haley, who liked to be called "Nanny," passed away peacefully in the company of her family, with grand kids and great grand kids playing in the living room just as she had wished. She stopped breathing on her own after slipping into unconsciousness for about half a day, at the end of her battle against lung cancer.{SNIP}

Sorry for your loss.
I lost my Grandmother to Lung Cancer in 1982. She had a strong message for my parents: "Quit smoking. Stop NOW!"
My Mother and father did, over time. Dad never suceeded, but ultimately due to high taxes on the butts, quit cold turkey last year, and finally, quit for good. After a few weeks, he sounded a LOT better. Didn't sound like an air conditioner while eating, and his breathing wasn't noisy anymore.

Sorry for your loss Quasar. May she rest in peace... I never knew either of my grandmothers, as they passed away when I was just a baby.

I lost my grandma to Lung Cancer too. Years and years of washing coal-dust work clothes and asbestos-covered uniforms actually did her in. We didn't know about asbestos being such a killer then as we do now. :(

Bye Nanny.

Sounds like she had a long, fruitful life and left surrounded by people that she loved and who loved her. That's a lot more than many people get.

Just remember that it is the folly of youth to believe that when you are 74, you will no longer want 10, 20, or even 30 more years with the people you love. You will.

My condolences. As grim and painful the sistuation may seem her passing sounds very peaceful, which is the best anyone could hope for. I lost someone close a year and a half ago, take time as you need it. I pray for the best for you and your family.

Quasar said:

Just remember that it is the folly of youth to believe that when you are 74, you will no longer want 10, 20, or even 30 more years with the people you love. You will.

Painfully true. :(

r_rr said:

It's always hard when a loved one passes, sorry to hear.

We had the funeral yesterday. The service was perfect; I think she would have been beyond thrilled if she could have seen how it was carried out in her honor.

Thanks to everyone for the support, it has meant a lot in these difficult days.