Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vorpal

Zdoom and middle textures

Sorry for making so many threads lately, still trying to get back into the swing of things with Doom, and nearing completion of my first map in nearly a decade so going to have more question-threads I am sure.

Anyone have some insight as to why Zdoom renders this fence middle-texture differently (well, not at all) than PrBoom-Plus?

http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/midtext-prboom-plus.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/midtext-zdoom.jpg

I've noticed this in other wads lately too, where middle-textures are out of whack depending on which port you fire them up in.

If you upload the wad and pm me a link to it I'll probably be able to figure it out. Though, I understand if you don't want to share it at all yet.

Yeah I'm keeping under wraps for now, but an example wad where I've seen this happen is Hellcore 2.0 (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=14651)

One part that comes to mind is map04, in the cafeteria is a railing that borders the table area. This is aligned to the ground in zdoom, but rendered in prboom-plus the railing mid-texture is floating in the air.

Kappes Buur said:

To correct this I simply applied the required y-offset to bring it to the bottom.

You can usually do that by setting the lower unpegged flag. That makes the texture start off sitting on the floor. No need to mess with offsets unless you want to do something else too.

Enjay said:

You can usually do that by setting the lower unpegged flag. That makes the texture start off sitting on the floor. No need to mess with offsets unless you want to do something else too.

OHH, hell's bells.
That should have been the first thing for me to try, and it never even occurred to me.
Enjay, thanks for the heads-up.

Both engines still rendered the textures differently despite pegging/unpegging.

Got it to work by changing the original texture as per DooMAD's solution. Hopefully the ghost of adelusion doesn't smite me from beyond...

Oh so the texture was offset incorrectly in the wad file?

Btw, how's the map coming? :D

Fusion said:

Oh so the texture was offset incorrectly in the wad file?

Huh? Offsets on the graphic lumps themselves, if that's what you mean, have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on textures or patches.

My guess is that the texture is an odd height, and the different ports had incompatible behavior when tiling odd-height textures.

Ya when I used to edit, i used wintex and you could offset the patches found inside the wad. From what I remember, these offsets could cause artifacts in game (confetti effect etc) if the texture wasn't aligned at 0,0 and was lesser in height.. such as a 16x16 step texture in a 16x128 patch.

I'm not sure if newer engines corrected that bug, but I remember having problems with it in vanilla doom.

PS. The fact you noticed it in one of my wads is probably indicative that I have no clue how to fix it ;)