Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Windows 7 MIDI volume

Jaxxoon R said:

If they were gonna deprecate MIDI support they could at least make it easy to replace/clean it up a bit. Why are big tech companies like Google and Microsoft doing such shitty jobs with what they do?

Because there are no market consequences. Microsoft knows all composer/music tech types use Apple computers anyway, so fuck if they give one damn about MIDI. It didn't lose them any sales they were going to get.

More likely that for 99.9% of all users this is a feature they never use and it was deemed unimportant.

It'd be 'uneconomic' to invest money there.

The really sad part is not that it was changed but that even after 7+ years, some software still hasn't made the adjustment to the 'new rules'
and remains in 'XP-mode'.

For Odamex:

- Get the latest version of Odamex
- Use PortMIDI in the menu

The other ports are likely still broken, Doom95 for sure, and I don't think Legacy has updated for the MIDI changes.

I am never sure how Doom Legacy is going to respond on Windows.
I only have a Win98 here to test it upon.

Edit:
I gave up on Windows around 92, got Linux 1.2 and have not looked back.
There is an XP machine here, but its owner definitely does not want me testing programs on it. I installed Linux in dual boot on it as a transition effort.

Don't most ports use timidity? That seems to work fine, music volume, too.

wesleyjohnson said:

I am never sure how Doom Legacy is going to respond on Windows.
I only have a Win98 here to test it upon.

lmao really?

Ladna said:

For Odamex:

- Get the latest version of Odamex
- Use PortMIDI in the menu

SDL Mixer plays the MIDI back perfectly, but then causes all sound effects to be drowned out. PortMIDI on the other hand has some hilarious side effects - Note bends (such as on E1m8 and E2m1) sound really, really awful to the point where I've just had to fall back to playing without music, which for me is a major letdown :(

Doomguy93 and other Windows users have heard this same problem as well. Phasing out MIDI support just seems so.... Retarded. Fuckin' MS. I guess not from a business perspective, but honestly, MIDI is still a huuuge part of writing electronic music!

wesleyjohnson said:

got Linux 1.2 and have not looked back.

This sounds like a good plan, honestly.