Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kagemaru_H

My mediocre(?) map

Well after a good amount of Doom Builder practice and a good amount of trimming and testing, I created a vanilla-compatible map. It's not anything too fancy, but I had fun building and testing.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jmn4iyj5a2g
What do you think?

EDIT: Fixed HOM effect and added some decorative linedefs.
EDIT2: Fixed MORE HOMs with my light linedefs. Will post more screenshots.
STATS:
545 Vertices
581 Linedefs
1030 sidedefs
63 sectors
242 things

Meh, recorded a fda for the first version >.<

Anyway, it's not a great first attempt, but it looks like you have the basics down. Just keep working on it and playing more wads for ideas.

Well just played it on UV and for your first map its about half decent and half dull(I do like the starting area). Unfortunately the thing placement is too unbalance and easy even on UV but this is a good start so keep practicing mapping til you get use to it ;)

btw what music is that from?

There's a TXT file in the ZIP that'll point you to it. I got it from a Google search for "Power Metal MIDI". I've also caught some visplane overflows in 'nilla, which would be great to look into while I revamp this map and start work on my heavy/power metal themed TC.

Well hey we all have to start somewhere :)

You've got Doom format down ok. Changing sector height, walk linedefs, switches, key doors, teleporters, that sort of thing. You've obviously done some reading or have been practicing, initiative is great to see!

To give some gameplay tips: Huge dark areas filled with hitscanners aren't really that great to play, all you can do is sit back and snipe or take cover, smaller areas where you have to dodge and use your skill as a player to escape harm are much more fun. Try to use architecture and lighting to attract the player to crucial points, instead of a big bright arrow on the ground. There is way too much health and ammo around, nobody needs 6 green armors to fight a handful of former humans and Lost Souls. The construction is very symmetrical, don't forget variation, I am guilty of this as well and have simply started deleting parts I make when I create something symmetrical to force myself to think laterally.

I liked the battle with the Shotgun guys and Hell Knights at the end, you had to come up close to shoot them while worrying about what was going on behind you. Height variation and having the player attacked from multiple angles are good points to include in battles.

Mapping error wise, your Sector 0 sky cuts off the top of the central pillar. All your skies need to be either the same height, or a height where the ceiling does not obscure tall sectors. The end is easy to break and make the level incompletable, as the "lifts" at the end are W1 linedefs. What happens if the player walks over the linedef then backs off? They are stuck in limbo behind a locked door forever. You'd use a proper repeatable Lift for something like this.

Keep at it man. Like AB said, play some maps and get some ideas. Personally I find it very helpful to take a favorite map or even just an area from a favorite map and try to recreate it. I don't mean copy/paste in Doom Builder, I mean sit down with a new WAD and lay your own sectors out, perhaps referring back to the original for rough linedef lengths and floor/ceiling heights. You get to understand the fundamental parts that make the map look and play as they do, and see what happens if you change the dynamics of the encounter with different heights, monsters, cover, weapons, etc.

I hope this is helpful. Please don't think I'm just out to criticise, I am commenting because I think you have potential and with a little guidance and practice you could make some fun maps :)

I just started more work on my map, and I'm experimenting with adding and taking health to see if I can make it more challenging. I also made it a lot smaller so as not to be a "Sky May Be" with power metal and chaingunners. I tried putting a door in there but I suppose I'll take it out since I cannot get it to work (by sector merging).

I liked the map, though there was way to much health and armor (I liked how much ammo there was >:) )

The start arrows on the ground were a little off putting however.

I enjoyed the map, I always love a simple straight forward fragfest

Heed Super Jamie's advice. He said pretty much everything I wanted to. Except some more nitpicky things, anyhow.

The teleporter sitting in the sky is one of those things. If you lowered those sorts of sectors from the sky to give it some depth it'd increase the looks by ~200% give or take.

Another something: if you use skull keys, use the skull textures for locked doors. Matching the texture to the key... like I said, nitpicky, but some maps using Boom use all six keys at some point. Not a big issue with vanilla/limit-removing doom, though.

Biggest piece of advice: keep mapping and experiment. Broken record? Mhm... but it really is the best way to do things. Don't be heartbroken if you can't finish a map, either. I've got 6 or 7 maps that never came to be, but I learned something about mapping from attempting each one of them. I'm a bit of a nerd, but when I learn higher mapping techniques I get kind of giddy. I'm just happy no one saw me when I learned about dummy sectors. :)