Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cronyne

Water Issue (Different than the usual water issue.)

Recommended Posts

Now, don't get me wrong. I can make deep water perfectly. Problem is, this one ain't working correctly.


Normal of the pool, but viewed from a specific angle at a specific spot...


It will suddenly do this.

Any idea what's wrong? If you NEED me to upload the wad, I will.

Share this post


Link to post

Difficult to say. That HOM thing looks like something wrong with the self referencing sector, not the 'visible' sector.

Probably easiest to upload the map. Also specify which port you are using, so as people can test it in the appropriate port.

Share this post


Link to post

That's what's known as a "slime trail," and it's usually caused by poorly-built nodes. Even the best nodes-builders sometimes have this issue, so all that you can really do is move one of the vertexes connected to the linedef at the edge of your pool that's causing the problem. Try moving a vertex by just a few units and then saving your map again. The issue will probably go away.

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

Don't use Deep water hacks with Skulltag.


I don't see how it's a hack, I'm pretty sure that Doom in Hexen format is fully compatible with Deep Water.

Share this post


Link to post
Cronyne said:

I don't see how it's a hack

It is one, though, like just about every other Doom mapping tricks. Deep water is a hack that has to be detected and emulated by hardware renderers.

Deep water and slime trails are both basically the same thing, the consequence of Doom's simple "flood-fill" flat-rendered algorithm. Suppose that, back in the days, Id had actually implemented decals on walls as was originally planned. Then suppose that for Doom 2, they decided to have decals on floors and ceiling as well and therefore rewrote the flat renderer from scratch using a different algorithm which would be compatible with decal. Blam, suddenly deep water doesn't work anymore, instead you get HOMs in the missing lower textures.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

It is one, though, like just about every other Doom mapping tricks. Deep water is a hack that has to be detected and emulated by hardware renderers.

Deep water and slime trails are both basically the same thing, the consequence of Doom's simple "flood-fill" flat-rendered algorithm. Suppose that, back in the days, Id had actually implemented decals on walls as was originally planned. Then suppose that for Doom 2, they decided to have decals on floors and ceiling as well and therefore rewrote the flat renderer from scratch using a different algorithm which would be compatible with decal. Blam, suddenly deep water doesn't work anymore, instead you get HOMs in the missing lower textures.


Haven't heard of decals.. But either way, I'm quite sure Deep Water works in the software renderer.

Usually, except this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Cronyne said:

Haven't heard of decals.

It was a planned feature early on in Doom's development. They dropped the idea because it wasn't important enough to deserve the framerate hit.

Cronyne said:

But either way, I'm quite sure Deep Water works in the software renderer.

Yes, and the hardware renderer as well because it's relatively simple to detect and emulate.

But there is something wrong with your map somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

It was a planned feature early on in Doom's development. They dropped the idea because it wasn't important enough to deserve the framerate hit.


Yes, and the hardware renderer as well because it's relatively simple to detect and emulate.

But there is something wrong with your map somewhere.


Well, I'll keep trying to do something with this, and anyone else who's downloaded it can mess with it too, I'd appreciate it.

Note: This glitch started happening in random places outside, even without the water. I just got rid of my skybox, and now this error isn't happening, or at least I can't find it. I'ma upload the new wad shortly, would someone be kind enough to just walk around outside for a while looking around and see if this happens to them?
Secondnote: Even without the skybox I just can't have deep water it seems, at least not here. Aw well.
http://uploading.com/files/3b76a986/cronsdms.wad/ Skulltag (Doom in Hexen Format)

Share this post


Link to post

The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later.

I hate "free" download sites.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×