Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malinku

Xmas Tech Base demos

You might find this post interesting. It's not that you're obligated to use compatibility settings, but practically every regular contributor uses them and they're highly recommended. It makes the demos work on more engines and, perhaps more importantly, pretty much makes sure we're all playing "the same game" down to a tee, which is important because even a fraction of a second may count when determining if we've managed a faster demo than the ones already submitted, and the small variations between each engine behavior may make all the difference.

Of course, levels that require engines not listed on that post, such as ZDoom, Eternity, EDGE, or the like, use whatever engine is necessary, but "PrBoom" WADs are practically always, if not always, all either vanilla or Boom compatible (though perhaps with limits removed, in both cases.)

You level, for example, seems to be Doom2 v1.9 compatible, so it should work fine with the commonly used -complevel 2.

thanks for the info. I'm new to making demos.
now that I got doom95 demo fix I'll update with a demo from there.
(and I'll update the first post)
(and forgot to include a text file with my demo).

I only use doom95 because I didn't know of the problems it contains.
I'll most likely switch to chocolate doom to record demos (unless I demoing a wad that requires a different port).

I did do a demo of this map in boom (prboom-plus-2.5.0.4) but I don't like using boom as it doesn't give me a good feel (mostly the lighting). I also don't like the way fast monsters are in boom ether.
so I tend to stay away from it unless I'm doing a demo on a map made for boom.

and thanks for pointing me to the file it will make using other source ports a lot easier.

Edit: A demo with chocolate doom
done in 4:41 and secrets are bugged (you will ether got 0% or 100%)

xmdemo.zip

Are the secret sectors marked as such? XWE doesn't seem to say that they are.

The level is cool but might have benefited from some extra difficulty, (with the current item placement as HMP, perhaps) especially if it's meant as a standalone. Were it meant for the start of a level set the difficulty may be more appropriate.

The medusa glitch at the end (shown below) happens because you used a two-sided linedef for the switch, which uses more than one patch. Vanilla doesn't allow that. It should be one-sided, with a void space behind it.

Attached is the demo of my first play-through, that I recorded before watching your demos. It'll play back with Chocolate Doom.

mxtb-myk.zip

myk said:

Are the secret sectors marked as such? XWE doesn't seem to say that they are.

The level is cool but might have benefited from some extra difficulty, (with the current item placement as HMP, perhaps) especially if it's meant as a standalone. Were it meant for the start of a level set the difficulty may be more appropriate.

The medusa glitch at the end (shown below) happens because you used a two-sided linedef for the switch, which uses more than one patch. Vanilla doesn't allow that. It should be one-sided, with a void space behind it.

I'll fix the bugs in the map as soon as I can.
for the secrets I marked the lindef instead of the sector (doh)

I never knew about the switch glitch (as I mainly did maps for zdoom befor this)

and I plan at some point to make a map set to go with it (after I finish a few other maps)

I'll check out the demo when I get home (at college).

posted fixed map here http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/49429-unmaned-wad-pack/