Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

The End Of Conan With NBC???

Danarchy said:

I watched a bunch of late night TV last night. I could not stop laughing at Conan's show, especially the monologue. I think I'm going to watch it every night next week, if he doesn't get fired over the weekend. I really hope he gets another show after this (on Fox or wherever).

Yeah, I've been watching it too. And I don't even have a TV. I always watched Conan back in high school.

The whole thing pisses me off. But Conan's been making the best of it.

Ralphis said:

He's funny, but how many of you actually watch this show? I don't think our generation watches tv as much as the one that watches Leno because our thing is computers. I think Conan is funny, but I certainly rarely remember to watch.

Yeah, pretty much. The big numbers he's been putting up shows he has a strong fan base. We just haven't been watching him.

Csonicgo said:

THAT SHOW WAS SPECTACULAR. holy shit, NBC execs should be crying by now.

They are. In their pool full of cold cash.

I'd pay to see the Andy Ricter show with Conan as his sidekick :B

Sucks that they can't start another show until September. Gah! I hope the new show will be on Fox or something that you don't have to upgrade your cable to get (in Canada).

Csonicgo said:

THAT SHOW WAS SPECTACULAR. holy shit, NBC execs should be crying by now.

That last monologue was probably poignant enough to make them bawl, I imagine. Not many people come off as sincere in their emotions these days, but I really felt Conan said exactly what he felt there. I'll wait patiently until September, and for the record, I watched his show as often as I could. One of the only TV show of the past decade I can say that for.

That was an amazing show. He seemed to be tearing up during his final speech, and Freebird was an amazing way to take it out. That song seems to always come on the radio or whatever when I'm going through a big change in my life. I never realized Conan was such a great guitar player.

It sucks that he won't be able to come back on until the fall. This is going to be the worst 7 months of Late Night in the history of television. :P I hope when he comes back he can get the rest of the crew to come with him. Andy, Max, and even La Bamba were all essentials of his show.

You could tell he was sad to go, but he made the best of it. That was probably the best episode of a late night show imaginable. Also the best expensive mascot ever. :p

OK, so I've never seen the show but... he's just a late night TV chat show host, right? But this story is all over everywhere as if it was really important, like the declaration of WWIII or something. I... I... don't get it. :shrugs:

Well, he's not even dying (and you know how sensitive I am to celebrity deaths :P ). I mean, he's not going to vanish completely. He's going to move on to another show and do his thing there where surely people can watch him if they want.

Genuinely, I'd love to know why this is so important. A TV company is replacing a chat show host with the guy who used to do it and the guy getting shoved out is going to go elsewhere... so what? I know that I don't get the whole celebrity worship thing anyway and so I can't imagine myself ever getting that upset about a TV personality getting a new job/ losing his job but I'd never even heard of this Conan guy until last week. Now, apparently, he's the new messiah (and NBC are, who? the Romans?). It just strikes me as a case of (to paraphrase) "TV, Serious business".

It is serious business! The 'Tonight Show' (which I don't watch either) is an American cutural icon almost on par with 'Coronation Street'. NBC - in their infinite wisdom - considered moving the program to an after-midnight time slot, which would have made it the 'Tomorrow Show'. You can't mess with half a century of tradition!

Ninja Edit - according to Wikipedia, the show's a couple of months younger than I am!

Conan is probably the funniest late night host in my lifetime. He spoke to younger viewers (anyone under 50 basically) a lot better than any of the other late night hosts. He didn't do the whole formal presenter routine that most late night hosts do, instead just breaking format to do balls-to-the-wall hilarity when he got the chance. (As an aside, he was also a writer for SNL when it was good - the Carvey/Hartman/Lovitz/Farley era - and the early seasons of The Simpsons). Seriously, he was the only reason I used to watch late night TV. The fact that he got double-crossed by NBC when they decided to favor Leno (who most people thought was past his prime) made everyone band together with him.

Here's some videos for those of you not from the US:

He was awesome enough to do his show anyway when the entire city of New York had a blackout back in 2003.

Hey, I found his first Late Night show ever.

And lol, bonus video.

You can watch a lot of his Late Night episodes over here.

That final episode is great, especially the (rebroadcasted) baseball sketch and the part where he sets Abe Vigoda free.

Danarchy said:

Conan is probably the funniest late night host in my lifetime.

I guess that's maybe where I miss the point. We don't really "do" late night hosts or have a long running show of that type. So it just seems like a big fuss about who is presenting a TV show and what time it is on.

Mind you, I find TV annoying most of the time these days anyway. The last time that I sat down to watch something was Jan 1st.

sargebaldy said:

You can watch a lot of his Late Night episodes over here.

That final episode is great, especially the (rebroadcasted) baseball sketch and the part where he sets Abe Vigoda free.

Oh wow, yeah. That last episode pretty much showcases what Conan is all about. Those were some great clips he chose for the montages.

Here's a Today Show clip from early last year discussing Conan's move to the Tonight Show. Fast forward to 3:10. Ouch.

I care because I watched his shows almost every night (tonight show, and late night show before he started doing the tonight show for a couple years) and now have to wait 7 more months to see a new show (just like when his late show ended and he took over the tonight show, you had to wait for months to see the new tonight show). I usually just watch the first 30 minutes with the monologue and the skits. I don't care about celebrities either, but I'd watch an interview sometimes depending on who it was, and I'd watch the last guest if it was a comedian (never watched the musical guests).

TimeOfDeath said:

I care because I watched his shows almost every night (tonight show, and late night show before he started doing the tonight show for a couple years) and now have to wait 7 more months to see a new show (just like when his late show ended and he took over the tonight show, you had to wait for months to see the new tonight show). I usually just watch the first 30 minutes with the monologue and the skits. I don't care about celebrities either, but I'd watch an interview sometimes depending on who it was, and I'd watch the last guest if it was a comedian (never watched the musical guests).

Some of the musical guests are pretty good. It's how I got into Spoon, Switchfoot, Weezer, among others

Yeah, I rarely ever care about musical guests on the late night shows. Leno always had pop rock bands and Conan always had trendy alternative bands that weren't that great. The only musical guest I remember really liking was when someone had Simon and Garfunkel on. That's usually the time when I start falling asleep.

Hmmm... having watched quite a few vids now, I get it even less. He is just a TV show host. Predictable sketches, obvious humour, that laid back sitting behind a desk format and an annoying nasal voice to top it off. I expected so much more from the second coming.

I mean really, he's leaving and someone else is coming back? Big deal.