Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

wip hi res baron sprite

my wip baron sprite, initially it is going to be for a wall texture, but I will most likely continue to work on the rest of the frames from the baron and release it as a high resolution sprite

Oh nice, he looks pretty neat, i'd happily use that with perkristian hi-res sfx for playing. Keep at it!

Not much difference except IT LOOKS MORE BA! Continue this, I am amazed of the effort, it looks original to the sprite but better and still fits in Doom.

another wip shot this time 800% larger than the original sprite instead of 400% larger
once again, mine is on the left

i like it, except the horns, they look flat and dont point the same direction as the original.

and like it looks like there grew hair on his hoofs and in his face.

hiar on the face?
I fixed the hoof

here is an update

note* I know about the problem in his crotch area
and the right side is one pixel lower than the left

Now that looks awesome! I take it you want to do the mirrorable (zombieman and others who don't need 8 rotations) sprites before dealing with the ones that do?

Approaching hires sprites by mirroring them vertically is a fundamentally bad approach imo. Sprites aren't pose able 3D models which lend themselves to that approach. You will spend far longer correcting the lighting than if you painted it on each side to begin with.

Also, you might want to address some of the anatomy issues before you go any further with detail. Most of the muscle structure looks "wrong" presently.

Good luck with this though. Producing a full set of hires sprites for even one monster is considerable work.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I would figure you'd learned that this is more a digital painting experiment than it is a highres sprites project from my and ZXD's posts. But oh hell, this is so funny, it deserves a repost.

- the part where the horns grow out of the skull looks weird

- the face: the nose seems too long and the mouth seems to wide, giving him a totally different facial expresssion than the original. If you keep the width of the mouth, maybe make the corner teeth a bit angled to maintain the original, slightly evil expression.

Also, the eyebrows in your sprite have a different angle, and the eye sockets could be worked on further, possibly making them darker, too (again for teh evil look).

- the transition body/pants looks like he's wearing some meatshirt (or are those love handles?)

- the bending at the knees is a bit too strong. One thing I've always found cool about id's sprite is that the structure of the muscles is visible through the pants, making the monster appear even more powerful.

Keep up the good work though.

@ gravitar the baron does not wear pants, I believe his legs are hairy and the skin sticks to the muscles sorta like the kind you would find on a mummy

ok, I have updated it on the suggestions of people
the left side is the updated part

I doubt his physique is lacking anything basic, Kristus... :p

KuriKai, I think it's somewhat cool, but I don't really see the purpose of it. You can just use a GL port to get this look. It's also an awful lot of manual work, for a questionable result...

That's my point of view...

It's so cute seeing art critiques from people who don't have the eye for it. They know that something's wrong, but can only come up with highly specific ideas of what that might be, and are completely blind to the holistic problems in a given work. Here's the holistic problem: this is bad.

I will give you credit for at least one thing: this effort of yours actually shows some effort, unlike the overwhelming majority of "high res" projects that only involve the author taking the original sprite, sizing it up, and applying Photoshop filters to it.

Creaphis said:

It's so cute seeing art critiques from people who don't have the eye for it. They know that something's wrong, but can only come up with highly specific ideas of what that might be, and are completely blind to the holistic problems in a given work. Here's the holistic problem: this is bad.

Well I was atleast being supportive and appreciative, instead of slagging someone's honest effort off as "just bad".

Btw, what the fuck gives you the right to speak so high and mighty about other people, who you know nothing about? Who are you again?

gravitar said:

Btw, what the fuck gives you the right to speak so high and mighty about other people, who you know nothing about?

My internet connection.

Creaphis said:

My internet connection.

What? That an attempt at a comeback, or just a display of your intellect?

Your conn gives you a means, a possibility, and no right whatsoever smart guy.

*tries to distract everyone from the sudden change in topic*

Come on everyone, let's break out into song and dance!

"OH HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!!....."

The concept of doing high res sprites is good but is tedious and even time consuming.