Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

Doom Challenge Checklist! [Help plz!]

A while back, I realized that I've never actually done a complete run through of any IWAD, and I've come up with the idea of a personal challenge: Beating all the IWADs I own and the most popular PWADs out there, only GZDoom, ZDoom, PRBoom+ and ChocoDoom source ports are allowed (whichever I need to run the game in question). No cheats, level skipping, or mid-map saves, allowing only saves at the start of a map for megawad purposes. Hurt Me Plenty (or its equivalent) is the minimum difficulty with first attempts on Ultra-Violence.

The idea is that when I'm done with one WAD, I'll put a star in the place of the underscore indicating I've beaten it, and move on to the next item on the list. So I've tried to organize the list to some degree.

Anyway, with the help of esselfortium, I compiled this monstrosity, and got my source ports set up. But there's one more thing I wanted to do. I wanted to post it here for recommendations of any good WADs I could have missed. It's already a daunting undertaking but I want it to be complete. If you got some ideas, don't hesitate to post and I'll add it to the list! And if I've screwed up on some notes (I really don't know what engines are required for all the stuff listed) or IWADs needed feel free to correct me. Thanks for any help given! :)

(_) Doom.wad - Ultimate Doom
(_) Doom2.wad - Doom II
(_) TNT.wad - TNT Evilution
(_) Plutonia.wad - Plutonia
(_) uac_dead.wad - Doomsday of UAC [doom] (E1M8) {PRboom+}
(_) odark.wad - The Outer Darkness [doom] (E4M1) {PRBoom+}
(_) god_.wad - Genesis of Descent [doom] (E1M1-E1M3) {ZDoom}
(_) phobos-v.wad - Phobos Revisited [doom] (E1M1-E1M9)
(_) par.wad, par.deh - Phobos: Anomaly Reborn [doom] (E1M1-E1M9) {PRBoom+}
(_) mapgame.wad - Mapgame [doom] (E1M1-E1M9) {PRBoom+}
(_) kdizd_11.pk3, kdizdmus.wad - Knee-Deep in Zdoom [doom] (E1M1-E1M9) {ZDoom}
(_) b2b.wad - Back To Basics [doom] (E2M1-E2M9)
(_) nmdu.wad - The Ultimate NMD [doom] (E1M1-E3M9) {PRBoom+}
(_) 2002ado.wad - 2002 Odysee [doom] (E1M1-E4M9) {PRBoom+}
(_) alitcwad.wad, alitcsf.wad, alitcsnd.wad, alitcpud.deh - Aliens TC [doom] (E2M1-E2M9)
(_) zpack.pk3 - ZPack [doom2] (E1M8,E1M9,E3M0,E3M7) {ZDoom}
(_) eaxt.wad - X-Treme [doom2] (MAP01)
(_) frzifrno.wad - Frozen Inferno [doom2] (MAP01) {PRBoom+}
(_) nochance.wad - No Chance [doom2] (MAP01) {PRBoom+}
(_) cheogsh.wad - Cheogsh [doom2] (MAP01) {GZDoom}
(_) tremor.wad - Tremor [doom2] (MAP01) {PRBoom+}
(_) nulspace.wad - Null Space [doom2] (MAP01)
(_) void.wad - Void [doom2] (MAP01) {ZDoom}
(_) phocas2.wad - Phocas Island 2 [doom2] (MAP20) {GZDoom}
(_) circus666.wad - Happy Time Circus [doom2] (MAP01) {ZDoom}
(_) circus2.wad - Happy Time Circus 2 [doom2] (MAP01) {ZDoom}
(_) claust.wad - Claustrophobia [doom2] (MAP01-MAP03) {ZDoom}
(_) sid.wad - Suspended in Dusk [doom2] (MAP01-MAP04)
(_) dop2.pk3 - Demons of Problematique 2 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP05) {GZDoom}
(_) nilla.wad - Nilla DooM [doom2] (MAP01-MAP07)
(_) cheogsh2.pk3 - Cheogsh 2 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP07) {GZDoom}
(_) hg.wad, hg_lights.pk3 - Hell Ground [doom2] (MAP01-MAP07) {GZDoom}
(_) bldnight.wad - One Bloody Night [doom2] (MAP01-MAP09)
(_) titan.wad - Titan [doom2] (MAP01-MAP09) {ZDoom}
(_) equinox.wad - Equinox [doom2] (MAP01-MAP13)
(_) 1024clau.wad, 1024clau.bex - Claustrophobia 1024 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP33) {PRBoom+}
(_) TVR!.wad - Revolution! [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32)
(_) av.wad, av20.wad - Alien Vendetta [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) dvii-1i.wad - Deus Vult II [doom2] (MAP01-MAP23+MAP31) {PRBoom+}
(_) 1024-dc.wad, 1024-dc.bex, gothictx.wad - 1024-4 Directors Cut [doom2] (MAP01-MAP16+MAP31+MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) d2reload.wad - Doom 2 Reloaded [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32)
(_) icarus.wad - Icarus [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32)
(_) strain.wad - Strain [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) mm.wad, mmmus.wad - Memento Mori [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32)
(_) mm2.wad - Memento Mori 2 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32)
(_) rebirth1.wad - The Rebirth [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32)
(_) requiem.wad, reqmus.wad - Requiem [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32)
(_) 10sector.wad - 10 Sectors [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) consoledoom.wad - Console Doom [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {ZDoom}
(_) cchest.wad - Community Chest [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) cchest2.wad - Community Chest 2 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) cchest3.wad, cchest3.bex - Community Chest 3 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) ndcp.wad - NewDoom Community Pack [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) ndcp2.wad - NewDoom Community Pack 2 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) vile.wad, vile.deh - Vile Flesh [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) hr.wad, hrmus.wad - Hell Revealed [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) hr2final.wad - Hell Revealed 2 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) ksutra.wad - Kama Sutra [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) wos.wad - Whispers of Satan [doom2] (MAP01-MAP35) {ZDoom}
(_) pl2.wad, pl2.deh - Plutonia 2 [plutonia] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) scythe.wad - Scythe [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32)
(_) scythe2.wad - Scythe 2 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP32) {PRBoom+}
(_) scythex.wad, scythex.deh - Scythe X [doom2] (MAP01-MAP10) {PRBoom+}
(_) sp_usimp.pk3 - Ultimate Simplicity [doom2] (MAP01-MAP20+MAPX01-MAPX09+MAP32) {ZDoom}
(_) los.pk3 - Legacy of Suffering [doom2] (LOSMAP01-LOSMAP09) {GZDoom}
(_) ed4_rfo1.wad - Eternal DOOM IV: Return from Oblivion [doom2] (MAP27) {ZDoom}
(_) massm2.wad - MassMouth 2 [doom2] (MAP01-MAP17) {ZDoom}
(_) sonic.wad - Super Sonic Doom [doom2] (MAP01-MAP35) {ZDoom}
(_) tutnt-v106.pk3 - Ultimate Torment and Torture [doom2] {GZDoom}
(_) cah_se.pk3 - Cold As Hell: Special Edition [doom2] {GZDoom}
(_) 3057hub1.wad - RTC-3057 Hub 1 [doom2] {ZDoom}
(_) harmony.wad - Harmony [doom2] {ZDoom}
(_) action.wad - Action Doom [doom2] {ZDoom}
(_) action2.wad - Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl [doom2] {ZDoom}

===========
Other games
===========

(_) heretic.wad - Heretic (E1M1-E5M9)
(_) curse.wad - Curse of D'Sparsil [heretic] (E3M1-E3M9)
(_) hocx.wad - Hordes of Chaos X [heretic] (E1M1-E1M5+E2M1-E2M5+E3M1-E3M5+E4M1-E4M5+E5M1-E5M5)
(_) hexen.wad - Hexen
(_) hexdd.wad - Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
(_) roc.wad - Resurrection of Chaos [hexen] (MAP01-MAP07)
(_) strife1.wad, voices.wad - Strife

Cheetos, check.
Microwave pizza, check.
Diaper, check.

Seriously though, You've missed AV.wad, and 10sector.wad
and every wad I've ever made. ;_;

kristus said:

Seriously though, You've missed AV.wad, and 10sector.wad
and every wad I've ever made. ;_;

Oops, added those in. Haven't heard of the 10 sector challenge. That'll be interesting. And I dunno what stuff you've made. S'why I posted here. :(

I'm slowly adding port requirements/recommendations and map #s to the list slowly (because I never read text files so now I'm in a pickle), and added some stuff people in IRC recommended.

If you've already got e1m8/e1m9 of ZPack listed, that's Thunderpeak right there, so including it separately is redundant.

Also, you could replace DV.WAD with Deus Vult 2, as the original DV.WAD is included in it as the final map. :)

(And it's "Suspended in Dusk", not Suspended in Darkness!)

I gotta commend you on this challenge you're attempting DD. These days i hardly have the patience to go through a wad in single player. You're forgetting a few wads on your list there, those wads are eaxt.wad, frzifrno.wad and nochance.wad. Good luck ;)

I think that instead of saving at the start of each level, playing each level from scratch is more authentic. You could also do what I often do; play continuously, but if you die, hit the use key to start that level from scratch. This penalizes you for dying by stripping you of equipment but rewards you by accumulating equipment as long as you survive. Some WADs, though, might be best played with the save-at-the-start method you mentioned. ZDoom has incorporated autosaves, for example, so it might make sense for ZDoom sets, or maybe also in sets that have very long levels.

The text files will usually clarify what engine you need pretty well.

Vanilla WADs, of course, can be played with Chocolate Doom. A few may have some VPOs the authors missed, so you might want to treat them as "limit removing". I'd recommend treating the current version of Plutonia 2 as "limit removing," as I've experienced a VPO in one level and heard reports of another.

Some will say "limit removing." I recommend PrBoom+ with -complevel 2 (doom2.wad), 3 (doom.wad) or 4 (plutonia.wad or tnt.wad) for those. A few may have "Boomisms" or "ZDoomisms" even when the text file says "limit removing," because the authors tested mainly with a more "advanced" engine. The idgames database comments can be pretty helpful in this respect, as people often get annoyed when this happens and leave a note. In those cases, treat the WAD as Boom or ZDoom compatible, respectively, at least for the levels with the glitches (if you play each level from scratch.)

Others say "Boom compatible." A good choice is PrBoom+ with -complevel 9. Again, a few of these may have "ZDoomisms," making ZDoom the best choice, especially for continuous play.

You listed Action Doom 2 and Harmony; you do not need to run them with Doom 2 if you use ZDoom 2.4.0 or newer (I'd recommend SVN build r2113, it fixes a few bugs which might affect your play of ZDoom wads.)

dop2 requires GZDoom to run. TUTNT as well; it contains 3D floors on which you do have to pass, so don't play it with just ZDoom.

The Happy Time Circus mods are for ZDoom. The second also requires jumping.

In Hexen, you should not need to load hexdd as a pwad; the engine should take care of that for you. ZDoom does at least; and the original engine did too.

In the Heretic category, don't forget Curse of D'Sparil.

I just wanted to go ahead and say you should probably add in Insertion. Hmm... I've been mentioning that wad a lot lately.

EDIT: Also I see that Strain isn't in your list.

I've always thought that "Arctic Research Center A1" by Jimi was a good somewhat scary wad.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12823

Though it is for Doomsday; Use 1.8.6 and not the latest 1.9 beta's as they have partially broken/disabled mod support.

The author of Artic also made an, in hindsight, daft mistake by building the mod in such a way that the default folder structure of it is reliant on the old Kick-start launcher.

Still this is easily fixed by extracting the PK3 (the mod), dumping everything else in the zip (Kick-start stuff) and then opening the PK3 and moving the ded files from "Defs/Artic" to "defs/Jdoom/Auto".
Then the wad will work fine with the Snowberry launcher or however else one chooses to launch Dday.

I have been tempted to submit a version of Artic with this "fix" to the archives myself.

@Vermil: Doomsday doesn't play well with my computer for some reason or another, so any Doomsday-specific things are out, otherwise I would have included Kaiser's Doom64 TC. :(

@Kassman: Nice catch. I forgot about that.

@40oz: Plutonia 2 is definitely in there, towards the bottom right above the Scythe series.

printz said:

In any case, what do you hope to accomplish with this? [/B]

Ah, it's something fun to chip away at. I'm sure I'll either have a sense of accomplishment at the end of this, or have gone irrevocably insane in the process.

List mostly updated, sorted through it and all, I think it's pretty much done. I'm not including stuff like nuts.wad simply because it's just...Nuts.

Heh.

A few recommendations:
- Hell Ground [Doom 2] {GLBoom+ or GZDoom}
- Phobos: Anomaly Reborn [Doom] {PRBoom+}

Archfile said:

Void.wad by Cyb

Gez said:

Heh.

A few recommendations:
- Hell Ground [Doom 2] {GLBoom+ or GZDoom}
- Phobos: Anomaly Reborn [Doom] {PRBoom+}

I'm surprised I missed Void, but I got those three in there now! Thanks a bunch, guys. :) I think that about covers it, unless there's other great ones out there I'm unaware of.

Xenaero said:

I'm not including stuff like nuts.wad simply because it's just...Nuts.

):

Not a masochist like me, huh?

Ah well. Another one I can suggest is Doom 2 Reloaded.

I have tried to play several of these and lost interest or found them to be terrible. For example, most maps in ZPack and NDCP2 are extremely skippable. TNT is a painful slog, speedrun it on skill 1 and never play it again.

The only Doom 2 megawad I've ever been totally unable to put down is The Rebirth by Vader. Definitely recommended, it might even make a good starting point as the levels are fairly short and it's got a consistent difficulty. If not, I would start with Scythe 1.

SlayeR's Doom Redemption is a fun Episode 1. It's a little messy design-wise but conveys and excellent sense of location and plays well.

Remain1 by Eternal is a partial remake of Doom 2. Ramps up the difficulty and some of the detail is stunning, I have spent hours in this just walking around looking at things.

You've got my other usual recommendations in your list already. I thoroughly enjoyed NMDU, B2B, Ultimate Simplicity, 3057 and what I've played of the Scythes and 10sector.

And ffs don't miss Strife <3

TimeOfDeath said:

Let's play them all! :D

I'm not that hardcore. This list seems good enough to accomplish my goal. ;)

Philnemba said:

Since You've mention Hexen and its expansion pack, try out Resurrection of Chaos while your at it.

Nice find! I'll add it in. Any other Hexen wads I should look for?

Where would be Quasar's update of Aliens:TC? I've heard it works good with Ultimate Doom so I figure I might want to grab that and add it in. Apart from that, this seems pretty solid. Thanks a lot guys!

About Hexen: Play it in coop mode with a couple of buddies, each using a different class.

Great suggestions so far. The following are very fun too.

Mini-level Megawad
The Darkening: Ep 1
The Darkening: Ep 2

All of them are designed to run with Doom II. The Darkening episodes are vanilla compatible - Chocolate Doom recommended. I believe Mini-level Megawad requires a limit removing source port, but I am not sure. It is probably best to play it safe and use PrBoom+.

nothin yet? cmon man. Doom aint that hard.