Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

The DOOM Movie

I've been pondering this for awhile, so I figured I'd just go ahead and ask it.

Should I see the DOOM movie? Will it scar me and viciously attack my love of DOOM or will I be able to laugh off how badly it fails?

Just how bad is it, anyway?

I've read a review of it that stated there's a scene where the BFG is fired and just barely misses a Baron of Hell... and the Baron is completely unharmed. That's just a little retarded.

It's something every Doom fan must endure, consider it a lesson on how fragile life really is, and how easily something great can be royally screwed up.

I have it on Dvd, and I hate it. It's sitting right next to my Nick Fury (The 90's film with Hasselhoff) for movies when I need a good laugh.

The BFG is fired twice in the movie. Both shots are wasted because they hit walls. Most of the movie is spent with the main characters whining in a small laboratory. The demons aren't from hell. Oh what else... most of the casualties in the movie are groups of innocent people and not hellspawn (because hellspawn doesn't exist in this movie).

It's pretty terrible but it's still worth watching as a hardcore Doom fan because then you can point out all the things it did wrong.

Watch it alot. Watch it every chance you get, if it's on TV watch it. Eventually, the scars will disappear and all that's left is a cold, dark reminder that you DO NOT sell movie rights to anything you've ever made EVER unless you keep creative control.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

I've been pondering this for awhile, so I figured I'd just go ahead and ask it.

Should I see the DOOM movie? Will it scar me and viciously attack my love of DOOM or will I be able to laugh off how badly it fails?

Just how bad is it, anyway?

I've read a review of it that stated there's a scene where the BFG is fired and just barely misses a Baron of Hell... and the Baron is completely unharmed. That's just a little retarded.

See it, live it, and say "Hollywood sucks Cyberdemon dick" cause seriously, it did, only "Good" part was the towards the end in the FPS style, but all was too predictable. So yeah, laugh at how horribly it fails.

Ignore the puritan rabble that takes it too seriously and give it a go to make up your own mind.

If you ask me, it's nothing great, but it's got some amusing bits, enough to make it worthwhile to see. It's not as hilarious as the DOOM comic, but it's more fun and less lame than the (classic) DOOM novels.

After writing the above, I looked up what John Carmack had to say, and it seems he agreed with me:

Kikizo: The Doom movie: how much were you personally involved with it, and what do think of the final result?

Carmack: I intentionally stayed completely out of the process, so I was able to get a fair first impression at the theatre. I liked it. Nobody expects a video game movie to be oscar material, but I thought it was a solid action movie with lots of fun nods to the gaming community.

Krispavera said:

The BFG is fired twice in the movie. Both shots are wasted because they hit walls.

If it was a real BFG, firing it at a wall wouldn't necessarily be a waste at all <_<

EarthQuake said:

Was I the only one who actually enjoyed it?

I heard it's also enjoyed by high functioning autistics.

This movie was really dumb. It could have been a lot worse. It could have been a lot better.

EarthQuake said:

Was I the only one who actually enjoyed it?

You are not. I agree with Carmack on it: it's certainly not great, but it's loaded with tons of clever little nods, the action sequences are pretty cool, and I think they pretty well nailed the atmosphere and feel of Doom 3 (and if my dad is to be believed, the original Doom as well).

esselfortium said:
If it was a real BFG, firing it at a wall wouldn't necessarily be a waste at all <_<

Yeah, you can do decal arts in some ports!

I thought it was great. I especially liked how they even included DM in it, and the first-person sequence was pretty nifty. It might be the best movie based on a video-game ever. And the characters were well cast, namely Karl Urban and The Rock.

gemini09 said:

It might be the best movie based on a video-game ever.

Beati monoculi in terra caecorum.

Yes, it's probably the best video game to movie translations ever put to practice, although it remains cheesy. It's your average action flick, really, and it's enjoyable so long as you don't over-analyze it.

I'd say watch it just for the 1st-person part; other than that its an okay-to-mediocre movie based off Doom 3 that shits on its original themes.

What about Postal 2? You think that's the best video-game movie ever? Okay... thanks for the info!

American Pie.

The Shining.

The Nutty Professor!

It's like the Godzilla American remake: As a film itself, it's not too bad, but comparing it to the original, it's damn near shameful.

I thought the movie was entertaining, in a dumb-mindless-sci-fi-slash-action-flick kind of way (much like T3) and managed to capture the Doom 3 (but not the first two games) atmosphere/feel but not much else. Somehow, it just wasn't Doom. There were no hellspawn, the marines and the monsters looked nothing at all like they do in the games and i didn't care much for the characters, they were all more or less lame and stupid but most of all very stereotypical. And while the original Doom didn't really have much of a story, they didn't really put any effort into atleast writing a story that resembled the one in the games for this movie. Story, of the game(s), is simple:

UAC creates teleport technology on a secret installation on the moon and accidently opens up a gateway through hell, causing a massive invasion of hellspawn on the moonbase.

A group of space marines are sent in to investigate due to lack of communication, all but one are killed. He single-handely thwarts the invasion.

He returns to earth only to find out that the hellspawn had already managed to invade earth.

Granted, it was awhile ago i saw the movie, so i could be wrong about the story being way-off.

dutch devil said:

The hell knight looked pretty damn cool, I'd say go watch it. I've seen it for an couple of times now, its not complete crap.

anybody got a picture of the baron? I can't find it on google (at least I don't think thats the baron...)

dutch devil said:

The hell knight looked pretty damn cool, I'd say go watch it. I've seen it for an couple of times now, its not complete crap.

I agree, on its own it's an alright movie (it ain't no Terminator or Aliens though but it's not horribly bad either) but comparing it to Doom, it just doesn't do justice.

It's not the worse film I've seen. They used a lot of practical effects which is cool and the first person bit at the end wasn't too bad. If it wasn't the Doom movie you'd really have no reason at all to go out of your way to see it, but since it is, it's sort of a right of passage. If you can deal with "no hellspawn" it won't make you angry, just a bit board. :/

Jodwin said:
Postal 2.

Now that's a odd way of spelling Silent Hill.

To narrow the movie down to it's good parts, even the FPS part was pretty bad. It was more reminiscent to House of the Dead games, since he aims for the zombie's heads, which aiming for the head has no greater effect in any of the doom games.

I do think the clip in the FPS part where he hes fighting the pinky demon with the chainsaw was pretty cool. Especially when he puts a flashlight in its jaw to keep it from biting, then it bites so hard the flashlight punctures through its forehead. but then Karl Urban finds his machine gun on the floor and shoots it in the head and kills it instantly. LAME

(I dont care if that picture of Karl Urban playing Eomer near the doomworld logo is screaming in my face while I type this)

I tend to keep the movie at the very back of my mind in only its darkest, most unexplored regions. I saw it in theaters with a couple of friends... They liked it. But they think Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay are great directors, sooooo, yeah.

The FPS was okay... the only part I watched a second time. Bad idea, though. It was really slow up until the pinky, everything was predictable, and there was no tension...

God, that movie sucks.

Technician said:

I heard it's also enjoyed by high functioning autistics.

I thought the Doom movie was worthy of an implied facepalm. It was one of the dullest, most boring movies I ever saw.

To this day, I still think it should be called "Resident Evil: Mars".