Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chexwarrior

Your favorite Roguelikes?

I've been a big fan of roguelikes for years now and am always on the hunt for new ones. I figure our community must have a couple fans of the genre given the news post about DoomRL. What are some of your favorite roguelikes?

Personally I enjoy ADOM and DoomRL. However, I recently found a new game called Prospector, a space exploration game in which you mine resources from planets, fight aliens, and generally live out epic space opera adventures. I urge everyone to check it out:

http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

I beat ADOM 10 or 11 times (and got all possible ultra endings) some years ago. Now I'm sick to death of it. A friend of mine is still waiting for JADE to come out but I figure it's vaporware.

Dwarf Fortress has an absurdly steep learning curve for something that is less of a game and more of a toy to begin with. It's like, "Here's a ball, you can bounce it if you want, but first you have to earn this 2-year college degree."

ADOM, the one rogue-like to rule them all. Have the online manual ready at all times while playing.

Angband. Get an old DOS version for the right feel.

Creaphis said:

Dwarf Fortress has an absurdly steep learning curve for something that is less of a game and more of a toy to begin with. It's like, "Here's a ball, you can bounce it if you want, but first you have to earn this 2-year college degree."

It really depends on what you want to do. Want to mine, fish, and hunt? Simple. Want to build a mega-structure or doomsday weapon? Prepare to die.

Of course, everyone wants to do the latter at some point or another. So yeah.

I used to play Telengard all the time. Lots of fun, though I don't know if you can find it anymore. There's always NetHack...

Arrowbridge! I played that one a lot on my dad's old BBS. I don't really have a lot of experience with RLs otherwise, though. I tried Dwarf Fortress but it boggled my mind. Nethack is just bullshit. DoomRL was pretty fun.

If you ever want to play Dwarf Fortress, you should go through this tutorial. After doing that, I could at least maintain a pretty good fortress.

DoomRL is great fun, I've completed that on the first couple of difficulties and done some of the challenges too.

I used to play alot of Nethack, I've been playing it since Andries Brouwer's old 80s Hack releases when I had a 4.77MHz XT. In the early 2000s I moved to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, though I haven't played either recently. I love them but find them fucking hard and have only ever ascended once (with DOS Hack).

POWDER looks fun, namely because I have a GBA with a flash cart and portable rogueliking is otherwise very difficult, though I've never bothered to play further than a few levels.

I've tried to get into other RLs, but I hate ones where you start in a village and have to buy your equipment and all that, what a boring and pointless learning curve. I read a bit about Dwarf Fortress but it seemed way too overwhelming to be fun, I have better things to do than spend 3 months just learning the basics of playing a game.

Ever heard of Shiren the Wanderer for DS? That's my favorite Roguelike by farr. Very accessible, too.

They're making a Wii Shiren in February, I can't wait.

14-day bump (?)

I didn't list mine yet.

PC: DoomRL (so far, wanna find more online)
Console: Fatal Labyrinth and Dragon Crystal
Browser: Hexatron (Java based version of Rogue itself, with an option for hexagon-based rooms) and Monster's Den.
Mobile: Dweller

Nethack's alright, but I find myself gravitating towards the ones with more simplified interfaces - Shiren the Wanderer and Izuna 2 for DS, Dungeon Adventure on the XBox Live Indie Games, DoomRL, and the Sword of Fargoal Remake.

I've been trying for years but haven't been able to find a download link or anything for one of my old favorites, a Mac OS game from the 90's called JauntTrooper: Mission Thunderbolt. I found a download link once, but it was broken.

I played Angband, RAngband and ZAngband for years. Then I moved on to T.O.M.E. (Tales of Middle Earth), and damn, thats a huge game, and very difficult.

Tried DoomRL, but didnt get too far. Also tried a game named Alphaman I think, but never got that far there either.

My fav must be either TOME, or Z-/RAngband

I think a first-person Diablo-like game would work very well in ZDoom.

Six words that stopped me till now to try myself at such a mod:
Mouse driven inventory is not possible.

@Topic:
DF, need something else? ;)
You can always dig trough the raws if you think something is just wrong.
Nerfing carps for example...

What i still dont grasp fully is magma management, i always end with Urist McDumbass wandering into a bunch of fire imps ending with ‼Urist McDumbass‼ running into the fortress and giving others some ‼love‼ and me wanting to have a ‼computer‼. (You play too much DF if you get that joke... *eg*)

jute said:

I think a first-person Diablo-like game would work very well in ZDoom.

Or rather Wolfenstein 3d. Vanilla Doom is more 3d than Diablo 2.

Kagemaru_H said:

Heretic did its inventory just fine without need of a mouse, so why not?

[game situation]
Hmmm....
I need that Shotgun Of Cyberdemon Killing that provides +100 damage on cyberdemons.
[[[
pistol +25 damage on demons? naaa
[[
plasma +30 damage on flying enemies? nope
[[[
where is it?
[[[[
ahhh there
*reaches for equip-button*
*sees a rocket flying directly to his face while equipping*
*BOOM*
*a dying marine*
ahh fuck!
[/game situation]

See my point there?

Bastet Furry said:

[game situation]
Hmmm....
I need that Shotgun Of Cyberdemon Killing that provides +100 damage on cyberdemons.
[[[
pistol +25 damage on demons? naaa
[[
plasma +30 damage on flying enemies? nope
[[[
where is it?
[[[[
ahhh there
*reaches for equip-button*
*sees a rocket flying directly to his face while equipping*
*BOOM*
*a dying marine*
ahh fuck!
[/game situation]

See my point there?

What I meant was weapon interface would be similar to Doom and other items are handled like Heretic.

So really, you'd be playing a cross between Heretic and Diablo.

John Smith said:

Nethack (and Sporkhack) forever. Thats all thats necessary.

Not if you're just getting into the genre. Play something simpler until you know you like roguelikes, then play NetHack. Starting with roguelikes on NetHack is like getting into the FPS genre playing Doom with the Hell Revealed WAD.

What do you guys think of Crawl (Stone Soup)?

I just recently started playing it and I'm having a lot of fun - so many class/race/god combos. For some reason I thought it would be a nice break from ADOM, but I think this game might frustrate me even more...

Just tried out the original Armok (precursor to Dwarf Fortress). I know it's a canned beta, but there's NOTHING to do but run around and die from exhaustion...in 3D!!!

Diablo and Nethack. I just played an internet browser version of the latter yesterday and forgot how much fun it could be.

Chex Warrior said:

What do you guys think of Crawl (Stone Soup)?

This has been my roguelike of choice since I discovered it a few years ago. The dungeons and engine are nicer than Nethack, and it seems to be more forgiving as far as food goes. The amount of Hack/Nethack games I've lost because I've starved to death, FFFUUU-

Alright, so I downloaded Stone Soup for the sake of having something else to play, and I was enjoying a tutorial play-through, when something caught me off guard - the instruction, "Exploring large levels can be tedious. Press 'o' to automatically explore the map, picking up items as you go, until a monster or special level feature is encountered." Does anybody else see something wrong with this? If some key portion of your game is tedious, or otherwise unfit for human interaction, the correct solution is to improve it, not automate it. This is absurd. Did I download Progress Quest by accident?

That said, I don't yet find it tedious. Hopefully that takes some time to set in.

Would mount and blade be considered a rogue-like? The idea of just being punted into a world with little of what to do and anywhere to go with some variations fits, although being a military and economic strategy game (mostly economic, although the fighting is pretty fun as long as you don't try fighting the harder AI with crappy equipment ...) it doesn't quite fit the norm, like most indie games. BTW it's only $5 on steam this weekend if you'd like to give it a try. Been playing it most of the day and I've got a pretty nice merchant/merc outfit going (I'm the merchant AND guard, hahah ;).