Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Prime

beginnings...

yes I have no problem picturing that, it's just that when I think about it a little deeper I know the paper has some thickness to it, and I know the led left by the pencil also have thickness to them, therefore as an object (not a drawing) the image isn't actually 2d.

I see...damn, dude, that IS deep...

only thing I really can think is light, but I'm not too sure about that.

Light and shadow seem to be 2d in appearance, but I would guess that they are indeed 3d because they encompass a certain volume. For instance, everything in a certain area around a lightbulb will be illuminated.

...am I explaining this properly?

Nah, that's just Jack, I'D tell you to read Flatland by Abbott and Sphereland by Burger.

Right, my bad.

Light and shadow seem to be 2d in appearance, but I would guess that they are indeed 3d because they encompass a certain volume. For instance, everything in a certain area around a lightbulb will be illuminated.

That's the idea I was trieing to give with why a drawig isn't 2d. However I don't think shadows and light have volume. I might be wrong.

Dude...your moniter is basicaly 2d, i think...not counting the curve and all, its basicaly just a projection.

but see, I know that every little dot on it has some depth to it. I know the image it projects is 2d but I also know the image is made of things that are 3d, so therefore the object is still 3d.

bah, I don't care what you say, it's not possible for anyone to imagine something that is truelly 2d.... hmm... actually what if I was to close one eye?

Dude...your moniter is basicaly 2d, i think...not counting the curve and all, its basicaly just a projection.

Sure, but, the projection had to have a point of origin, and the light is projected outwards, which means that the emitted light covers a certain area. Hence, the area between the origin and the covered surface must have some type of cubic volume...I think...hey, I'm not a scientist.

bah, I don't care what you say, it's not possible for anyone to imagine something that is truelly 2d....

It's perfectly possible for me, and it's probably possible for 99% of Doomworld members. People who lack the capacity for abstract thinking shouldn't be allowed to fucking high school.

You can't look for a 100% real 2d surface on this Universe. It's all a matter of accepting a model, like the piece of paper and leaving the true concept of 2D to your brain.

And Dan, even a curved surface is 2D. You think our Universe is "flat" compared to the fourth dimension?

Human eyes see things in 2D and nothing more. The brain interprets the stereo input and flattened geometry as 3D.

/me pours some c0ff33 on this thread because it makes no fucking sense

Come on people, let's go back outside, watch the c0ff33 drippage, it's acidic.

It's perfectly possible for me, and it's probably possible for 99% of Doomworld members. People who lack the capacity for abstract thinking shouldn't be allowed to fucking high school.

k, -gives lament a w33d brownie and some of mac's cof33 to wash it down with-

/me pours some c0ff33 on this thread because it makes no fucking sense

Come on people, let's go back outside, watch the c0ff33 drippage, it's acidic.

yeah, c'mon guys. this is getting kinda old...

k, -gives lament a w33d brownie and some of mac's cof33 to wash it down with-

Ummm.. There're exceptions, of course :)

Not to mention he was on...what was it...heroin or something most of the time...

Anphetimiens (sp) which is Speed.