Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

Urban maps

What are some good urban-themed .WADs out there?

I remember there was an early map in Invasion II where you started out in a bowling alley and got to explore a small commercial district... that was incredible, though the detailing a bit sparse.

Well?

Creaphis said:

been here so long that now I've finally become one of those guys that just posts a link to an old thread instead of actually saying anything.

I sense a new custom title. :P

Jodwin said:

cybie2.wad

QFT. It has some of the best urban environments, if by "urban" you mean "run down ghettos" with graffiti, basketball, abandonded motorways etc.

Other than that, most "urban maps" get caught in the pitfall of being either a bunch of undetailed boxes that look like Rise of the Triad, or just a few detailed buildings, and most suffer from repetition.

Despite the extremely polarized reviews, I'd recommend Europe: that map is fucking HUGE, has many non-urban areas, but the final Urban area is easily the best I've seen in any map: it has alleys, varied AND detailed buildings, it's jam-packed with detail, interesting locations like subways, stadium, hotels, banks, plazas etc. the only catch is that you'll have to have the patience to play it through.

Not great but namesake proper, and I had fun killing those heresiarchs in chain reaction. Try Georgef551's Urban.wad. It also contains mid-grate polyobjects, which can be shot through.

Do maps with Karl Urban count?

Nems said:

People who don't do their own searching can't expect that much help. "Recommend" or "find me" threads should include what one found prior to asking. It also helps helpful people know what to add.

Hellcore 2.0 had a few good-looking urban environments, though it played poorly in my opinion.

Diet 32in24 makes a couple of attempts at Urban. There's a mall level, not really urban, that comes out decently and some OK exterior scenes. I have a map in there, superbly detailed by Butts (or was that one Brinks? Can't remember.) called "Birdman of Texas" which features interesting, though not realistic, urban combat, including epic jumps across buildings.

Nems said:

I've always been afraid to ever say anything about custom titles out of fear I'd have something crazy put there.. though I may have just jinxed this.

Agreed with Phml, Hell Core 2.0 did indeed have some nice urban stuff but was blech otherwise.

I just remembered that Vile Flesh has a few urban maps.

Wow, I seem to be mentioning Vile Flesh a lot lately.

Mancubus II said:

There's only one urban themed brawl.

Yes, and I just recently beat it on "Hotshit" (had to use God Mode for the final confrontation, though). Amazing WAD, though I thought the efforts to make it seem "gritty" were a little excessive and the ending was downright morbid. Reminded me of Max Payne a bit.

Thanks for the recommendations people, and yeah, I'll be sure to include what I've already found/looked at before I make a recommendation post again.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

the ending was downright morbid

Which ending? There are two good endings and three bad endings, which you get depends on choices you make. The first choice is after beating up the Village People, you can get in the cab, take the subway, or smash a car.

Gez said:

Which ending? There are two good endings and three bad endings, which you get depends on choices you make. The first choice is after beating up the Village People, you can get in the cab, take the subway, or smash a car.

Those were the Village People?

Oh my god, that makes it seem so obvious, what with the YMCA reference and all. I just thought they were a bunch of queers.

And how could anything change the fact that

*SPOILER*

it's not his actual daughter?

EDIT: Also, I played cybie2.wad for about five minutes and deleted it due to AIDS. Seriously, that WAD is terrible.

Europe.wad had some semi-interesting architecture, but I found it pretty boring even idclipping around it with -nomonsters. Horrible, horrible, horrible gameplay design.