Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

What is Old Is New Again... How about you?

Planky said:

It will be interesting to see how old some of the older members are, assuming they post.

There are bios on Compet-N, it seems most of the old-school demo recorders were born mid-to-late 70s.

GreyGhost's ~55 years comes as a great surprise to me, I thought you were a teenager dude!

Super Jamie said:

GreyGhost's ~55 years comes as a great surprise to me, I thought you were a teenager dude!

I hadn't seen that and don't really believe it either :|

Planky said:

I wouldn't have guessed that - I was thinking under 25 at most.

People that know me IRL think the same thing. Apparently I am very youthful. :p (late developed... >:/ )

I'm the opposite, people assume I'm in my 30s, yet I'm under 25. As a result, I never get carded at liquor stores or bars/clubs (not that it would matter :)

Super Jamie said:

He's too nice (and knows too much) to be a teenager, though I figured maybe late 30s.

I'm 22. The first time I played Doom was in late 1994 and I played it almost exclusively until around 1998. In early 2006 I rediscovered Doom. I soon found out that it was possible to create custom wads, and have been mapping ever since. I was lurking around various Doom related forums for a long time, until I finally registered here.

Super Jamie said:

I was waiting for someone to do the maths. :D

Suppose I'll now have to post some evidence in the Personal Photograph thread - assuming I can find a camera that doesn't hate me.

I'll be 26 in just over a month. You'd have to have had fully functioning gonads at the age of 13 to have fathered me. This thread is making me feel old. Then again, very little doesn't. I seem to be about a decade behind the rest of the world.

Nomad said:

I just turned 23 last month. I remember when Doom came out and I wanted it so bad, but we didn't have the game for the longest time. Every time my step dad would take me to a computer expo I would run around to every kiosk and see if any had it to play (that, or Duke3d!). One time I remember one kiosk that had these VR goggles and this weird joystick that was like the sensors in the PS3's SIXAXIS, and that was interesting playing Doom with.

Holy crap, I remember going to those with my dad all of the time. Those were amazing, almost like trips to Disneyland for me. Back then there was only one computer store in the county, and it was all parts and the like. Those computer shows were the only place where I'd have the chance to even buy computer games. Sadly, those things kind of died after we got an Electronics, Etc.

Also, holy crap, it's Tolwyn.

I am 27, heard of Doom around 1995 (I was 13) but was left out until I got the extra RAM to play it. I ended up playing Doom on the SNES to get a feel for what the other two episodes then got the memory. It was Shareware DOOM 1.8 for the time up until I bought Ultimate Doom later that year.

For the time I only had 2MB of RAM, I played Wolf3D and Blake Stone shareware. When it was brought to 4MB, I was able to play it and when it was upgraded to 8MB, the periodic blue disk loading stopped.

I did play Doom2 but it was much longer before I got it recently off Steam for $4 so I am not a cheapskate when it comes to this game. (the purchase was long held off because I could not find a physical copy of the game for all this time and without busting my wallet)

I'm 25, juts getting into the part of my life where i'm realizing that this year (hopefully) i'll stop being an undergrad student and become a fully fledged engineer, with responsibilities, an office and all that. It sucks.

I believe that i met doom when a cousin of mine brought it to my home, around the year 1995-96. In those years, internet was just getting affordable for an average family here in Chile, (and i did not got access to the web until, say, 1999, from a stolen account no less. Only in 2003 i got a connection of my own), so gaming news were pretty much spread by word, or magazines. At the time, all i played was SNES. After i finished playing doom (doom 2. For some reason, ultimate doom never ran on my 486), i pretty much moved on to other games (again, SNES games. Until i first used internet, PC gaming was an unknown world to me), and only recently (2004, maybe) i discovered the doomsday engine, thus, re-discovering doom 2, ultimate doom (which now ran on my P4! how exciting!) and a couple of wads that i had never heard of (Plutonia and Evilution). Then, in 2007 i discovered DoomBuilder, and little later i discovered that GZdoom had dynamic lightning capabilities, same as doomsday (I like my games shiny, so i never went for zdoom. I find it ugly), thus, discovering a shitload of pwads (i knew some pwads before this, but given that there are so few doomsday-specific pwads out there, all i played were vanilla doom pwads). And here i am now, wasting time on my office writing this little memory when i should be working.

I'm 19. I've been playing DOOM since the demo came out. My dad was pretty into these kinds of games (since Wolf3D), so he would always let me play (with cheats and/or some help). I played the original DOOM when the mail-order version came in, then I played DOOM 2 when it came out

Didn't play Final DOOM until recently, though...:(

20 here. I've been playing this game since it was first released (not that I really remember much from those days). Back then I would always play with a Gravis Gamepad, which I actually still have but I would probably suck really hard if I actually tried to use it. I guess I was always a lucky little bastard because my Dad would always buy all the new cutting-edge games and consoles when they first came out. I remember picking up Final Doom and reading the instruction booklet on the ride home to see if there were any new weapons or enemies. I was disappoint :(

22 years old and first played Doom when my Dad tried the shareware version... Well, he just had to go out and get the whole game, but by the time he did, Doom II was also released, so he just went ahead and bought that. We used to watch each other play and competed to see who could be the game first.

Of course, I was 6 so I was playing on HNTR whereas he played HMP. I don't think he ever beat Doom II. Last thing I remember was him getting chewed up by all the chaingunners on Map22 and him raging.

I am 26. About to 27 in March and I am not looking forward to it. Honestly I can't remember who old I was when I first discovered Doom.

Super Jamie said:

He's always been a bit of an enigma to me but I felt that he was older. Also, I think he once gave direct mention to health problems that he's had, which is a clue.

Anyways, you guys know that I'm only 21 right? I try to inject enough brattiness into my critical essays to make that clear.

Super Jamie said:

I'm 26. I've been Dooming since early 94. I played a few PWADs off shovelware CDs as I didn't get the internet until 1997 or so.

This. I first played Doom on a friend's 386/33 with mere PC speaker sounds, but it still immediately blew me away big time.

I know I'm not even close to being among the oldest Doom fans myself, but I do find it curious as well as simply awesome that Doom still draws new blood to it. But then again, I was a kid myself when I was initially hooked by the game.

EDIT:

Khorus said:

18. Playing Doom since early '94.

You already played Doom when you were 2 years old? Wow.

I'm not even 13 yet! I love doom, it's my favourite game. I've been playing it since i was just 3 years old!
I do like the flash games too, though the older games like doom and quake II just bring me back...

Janizdreg said:

You already played Doom when you were 2 years old? Wow.

Heh, sure, though it was more sitting with my father and enjoying watching him play at that stage. I remember very clearly my first multiplayer game though, it was co-op and my sister and I were sharing the faster of the two machines (don't recall the exact specs) and my dad on the other, that must have been when I was around 4.

I'm currently 26. I was 10 years old when Doom came out, and I really wasn't even aware of it at the time. I didn't discover Doom until 1996, and actually, I remember the experience quite vividly. My dad had learned about Doom because someone at his work had a copy and had showed it to him, so he asked me if I could find a copy on the Internet and download it. Of course, we had a 14.4k modem at the time, so the 2 MB download was a huge pain in the ass, but I just remember being blown away because I didn't know computers were capable of those kinds of graphics at the time.

I think 1994 was a very pivotal year for me...

- Doom and Doom 2...first saw these games then.
- I started playing Magic: the Gathering...the first step into my supreme nerdiness.
- My mom sobered up...my family really started changing then
- All the awesome music of the early 90s (mostly grunge) was still new then, and I was loving it. Notably, Superunknown (my first CD) came out then.
- Kurt Cobain died, only the second death that really effected me (after Jim Henson).

It was also the year that the OJ Simpson trials started. That was huge news back then. I think whenever I look back at my childhood, I pretty much think of that year.

what happened to Fodders? Wasn't he like 50?
I'm 30. Doomin since a few months after Doom came out when I was 14. Been playing and editing for it off and on ever since (mostly on).

Hellbent said:

what happened to Fodders? Wasn't he like 50?

I'm fairly sure he was almost exactly the age of my parents (55-56).

I do wonder what ever happened to him, though.

Ok. GreyGhost is the current grandpa so far. ;)

I have lost contact with Dr. Sleep, he and I are fairly close in age.

GreyGhost said:

At the time of Doom's release I was a 39 year old Amiga fanboy. Tried ADoom in the late 90s but wasn't satisfied with it's performance on my system, rediscovered Doom in 2002 when checking out the potential of multi-player games as "team building" activities for the office. Heh - being paid to play games, does life get any better? Fell in love with Doom Legacy and started what's probably the biggest collection of wads in the southern hemisphere.

The Haldermanster for the win. ;)

I remember seeing live webshots of him back in the day when he took a trip down to new orleans while we were working on Bloodlands, or Grievance or something.

I wonder whatever happen to Rand Phares, too?

Mordeth said:

I'm just waiting for Ty to show up :)

Tolwyn said:

I have lost contact with Dr. Sleep, he and I are fairly close in age.

He has disappeared. John Romero claimed that Sleep was into some dodgy business dealings, there's a theory that these may have finally caught up with him and he's in jail now.

Danarchy said:

I do wonder what ever happened to him, though.

The government took him to Area 51 and made him have sex with the aliens they keep there.

Tolwyn said:

Ok. GreyGhost is the current grandpa so far. ;)

Grandpa! <shudder> A word guaranteed to make one feel old. :(

I know there's at least one other quinquagenarian on these forums, just can't recall their name right now.