Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zetta

Hell's Last Stand [continuing the HR legacy](Update!)

Thanks for the feed-back guys realistically were still in the fairly early stages here so expect things to look a lot different in terms of textures and design tweaks.

I like them too. I have a good feeling about this one!

I think it's awesome that you're making an HR/2 tribute after so many years.

Are you still looking for mappers?

gemini09 said:

I like them too. I have a good feeling about this one!

I think it's awesome that you're making an HR/2 tribute after so many years.

Are you still looking for mappers?

Always, just as said in the first post show us what you have worked on and if we like what we see you may get on the team.

[EDIT]

couldn't help but to notice that this is yours:

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae57/El_phelix/Screenshot_Doom_20091122_043251.png

Check your PM's :)

dutch devil said:

I liked these shots the most, pretty good stuff imo.

yep, nice one. i think the time put into squabbling over the wad's name would have been better used for making maps... is it now called hell's last stand officially?

Most likely. I say that because that was the original name that we were going to use. But you never know.

gemini09 said:

Thanks Pottus. It brings back memories from almost a decade ago.

That's why you wrote "The Gemini" in your map that day!

Who are you, by the way?

I'm not someone you know but I have played Doom since 94 and have met a lot of people playing so I guess it was only a matter of time before we would meet in one manner or another. Most of the players I know are from Skulltag. But I did play on Zdaemon for a couple of years and used Doom Connector to play Legacy might I add it's quite nice what Zorcher has done to bring DC back. I've never really been much for forums other than reading otherwise I probably would have registered here a long time ago. When I did sign up here it was to apply to do a CC4 map so of course I gotta choose a cathedral like theme and I did it all in Emerald green.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4323/screenshotdoom201001211.png
No monsters yet heh.

Yeah I have a blandish style to my mapping even I know it, it's like a reflection of my personality.

It is good to finally meet that person who made those great levels I played dozens of times I look forward to getting to know you better.

VinceDSS said:
Most of the team was made of veteran doomers, mappers and speedrunners. That could explain why some things may give more troubles to mundane players than we expected.

Strangely, I think Phml is somewhat better than me. If you check his demos, you'll see his isn't all that mundane. Maybe it does indeed have to do with playing style, because I tend to find HR harder than PL2, in general. After all, I've seen him play mostly horde levels, and I tend to play a lot of "more traditional" levels. More complex levels that often leave you with less space and more crossfire situations may need a different mindset frequency than horde levels where fights tend to be more linear but you can get sandwiched to death.

I've always found Plutonia/PL2 required more tactical skill than HR I think this has to do mainly with Plutonia's focus on gameplay dynamics. A good map to describe the general dynamic in Plutonia would be map04 "Caged" it does not seem to matter where you go in this map monsters are always shooting at you but if you clear a certain area first it's easy to finish the map using a tactical approach. As for HR I find myself running in circles in areas filled with monsters the gameplay tends to be more gun & run with mixed situations that require a tactical approach.

oops I didn't know he was making demos :/ my bad for not spending much time in the demo section.

Personnaly I also find HR harder than PL2. I always use a tactical and as "safe" as possible approach, which is not always possible in HR.

Hey guys.

If you are interested, a while back I made a Dead Simple remake. It is very much in the HR slaughtermap style, and it occurred to meit might fit in really well with what you guys are doing.

Link for some screenies here.

Link for the map itself here. Scroll to the very bottom of the page, it is 6 up from the bottom. (Thanks to Neubeiijita for hosting, and for it still being there!)

It requires PrBoom at the moment, though if this is a vanilla project (I don't remember off the top of my head) it shouldn't be too hard to make appropriate changes.

There are a couple of minor faults in this version that I know of, just having played through it, if you like it, they will not be hard to fix. If it is suitable, you are welcome to use it. See what you think.

Good luck with this project, it seems pretty promising. :)

Zetta said:

Wondering how things are going? Good. Gotta love the sky.

Not bad, though I can easily see where the sky texture is mirrored (even though part of it is edited around that point, not all of it is and it's easy to tell) and there's some bad visible tiling on the grass flat.

Something tells me this project is gonna be right up there with the HR Sequel in terms of difficulty. (though the first one wasn't a walk in the park either, especially when playing it with scoredoom and the addon pack.)

I'm really gonna be looking forward to this.

esselfortium said:

Not bad, though I can easily see where the sky texture is mirrored (even though part of it is edited around that point, not all of it is and it's easy to tell) and there's some bad visible tiling on the grass flat.

I'm thinking about making the sky textures 1024x128 in 4 patches of 256x128 that should help quite a bit. Yes you can see that grass flat looks like poop and definitely needs to be changed.

Kyka said:

Hey guys.

If you are interested, a while back I made a Dead Simple remake. It is very much in the HR slaughtermap style, and it occurred to meit might fit in really well with what you guys are doing.

Link for some screenies here.

Link for the map itself here. Scroll to the very bottom of the page, it is 6 up from the bottom. (Thanks to Neubeiijita for hosting, and for it still being there!)

It requires PrBoom at the moment, though if this is a vanilla project (I don't remember off the top of my head) it shouldn't be too hard to make appropriate changes.

There are a couple of minor faults in this version that I know of, just having played through it, if you like it, they will not be hard to fix. If it is suitable, you are welcome to use it. See what you think.

Good luck with this project, it seems pretty promising. :)

I don't really think this map would fit in well with this project mainly because it's not designed for vanilla to make it work properly would take more work than it would be to make a new level. I like the design of the map however if your interested in making another map let me know maybe we can work something out.

Pottus said:

I don't really think this map would fit in well with this project mainly because it's not designed for vanilla to make it work properly would take more work than it would be to make a new level. I like the design of the map however if your interested in making another map let me know maybe we can work something out.

Hey, no problem. :) If you change your mind, I could sit down and do a Vanilla version. I am glad you liked the design tho, and thanks for taking a look at it.

In regards to doing another map, I would love to, in fact as soon as I saw this thread, I wanted to do a map for it. The problem is, I have so little time at the moment, and I really don't want to be like "Yeah I will do a map" and then never get it finished. But what I will do is at least start one, and should it look like it is getting near to completion, then I will jump on this thread and offer it to you guys. That way, I am not promising something I can't deliver, but if I do get one done, it will be all yours.

Hope that is acceptable for now.

Cheers guys. Good luck with this. :)

As promised here are the screenshots!
As you may notice we have revisited many of the classic maps adding better more exiting gameplay and new areas to explore. There are also many new textures most of which have not been shown yet, since most of them are new they are being focused onto the maps that are currently in progress, yet of course they still keep the HR look.

We have decided to replace some of the maps which we were not satisfied with so only the best maps get in. The ones that were not up to par were trashed and rebuilt from scratch. A demo should be expected some time in the near future. Good progress is being made but we still need musicians! Any other help is of great use too.

I like those screenshots. They quench my old school doom "look" fetish. Especially the first and second shots.

Zetta said:

We map! :D

Starting a huge megawad project and then publicly announce you have no proof of experience or reputation in the community isn't the best way to start.

Either way, good luck on the project.

EDIT : Seven pages too late. D:

So a question has come up among the team and we seem to have a difficult time deciding. So we need your votes.

Here it is:
"Should we bother putting in DM starts and DM ammo/health/weapons? Take note that it's a survival wad, no one is going to play DM in it. If anything putting them in will simply be a waste of time and effort. On the other hand, it was, implemented in HR, HR2."

My view on this is despite it being a 'tradition' in ways there is little point considering I have never seen HR/HR2's deathmatch features used unless it's a special gamemode.

It would be best not to put in DM starts at all since this project is mainly focus on singleplayer/coop. Besides nobody plays DM on HR 1/2 or AV at all as far as I know.