Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Subatomic

W1 Trigger Reveals Toxic Pit?

Okay, so here's what I'm trying to do. I have a single linedef trigger and a small sector with lava in it. There are a couple problems I'm having though. For one, I want the pit sector to have the same floor texture as the sector surrounding it (in other words, the player won't know it's there). The second thing is that I want the linedef trigger to, when walked over, change the pit's texture to lava, and then begin to lower the pit/sector down into the ground.

________
[        ]
|........|
|........|
|........|
Something like that, if you were looking at it from the side. The top line (underscore), is the normal floor texture. The dots represent the lava and the depth of the pit itself. This is BEFORE you walk over the trigger. AFTER would look like this:
[        ]
|~~~~~~~~|
|........|
|........|
|........|
The normal texture (previously an underscore) is now the lava texture (represented by ~) and has lowered into the ground a bit.

How can something like this be achieved?

By the way, I'm using Doom Builder 2 and designing the map with GZDoom in mind as the port. All testing thus far has been with GZDoom.

You could play with dummy sectors. Too lazy to explain, so I just made an example wad. The only difference is that the sector first lowers and then changes its properties. It's supposed to work in vanilla, but for some reason the game produces a crash with P_PlayerInSpecialSector (yes, my editing days are looong gone). Works in Boom, though.

Donce said:

You could play with dummy sectors. Too lazy to explain, so I just made an example wad. The only difference is that the sector first lowers and then changes its properties. It's supposed to work in vanilla, but for some reason the game produces a crash with P_PlayerInSpecialSector (yes, my editing days are looong gone). Works in Boom, though.

I don't know for sure but it looks like vanilla doesn't like the sectors being split like that. The sector that the tagged floor is lowering to should be directly attatched.

No, you can have sectors merged like that in vanilla. It's required for a number of pretty common effects.

A crash in P_PlayerInSpecialSector most likely means you used some Boom-added sector specials or something, which crash vanilla when you step into the sector and it doesn't recognize the special number.

Donce said:

The only difference is that the sector first lowers and then changes its properties.

Well, either way is fine. As long as the texture changes and the pit lowers, that's what I'm aiming for. Could you, or someone else, explain a little more how this is done? I'll take a look at the wad you provided too, see if that helps me understand better.

Since you're intending the map for GZDoom, which map format do you use? Doom, Hexen or UDMF? With the latter two, you can use ACS to script just about anything. Texture change, sector type change, speed of descent, special effect sounds played, debris and fumes spawned, etc.

Gez said:

Since you're intending the map for GZDoom, which map format do you use? Doom, Hexen or UDMF? With the latter two, you can use ACS to script just about anything. Texture change, sector type change, speed of descent, special effect sounds played, debris and fumes spawned, etc.

Just the standard Doom format at the moment. But if there's an easier (or perhaps more practical) way to do this, I'm willing to try it. GZDoom just happens to be the port I use to play the game and test maps. I haven't added anything so far that would technically require it, aside from the limit-removing.

Donce said:

You could play with dummy sectors. Too lazy to explain, so I just made an example wad.

I've got it almost working, based on your wad example. The only problem is that the floor texture doesn't "disappear" - the pit lowers, but the original floor texture remains there, covering the hole. Here's a screenshot of what I mean:

http://i46.tinypic.com/16kw6c2.jpg

As you can see, the floor has lowered, but the texture remains visible.

Vermil said:

You forgot the lower textures on the linedef's that will become the edge of the pit.

D'oh! That's exactly what it was. Thank you, Vermil. And thank you Donce for the helpful example wad. It works perfectly now.

OK nice that you got it.

esselfortium said:

A crash in P_PlayerInSpecialSector most likely means you used some Boom-added sector specials or something, which crash vanilla when you step into the sector and it doesn't recognize the special number.

I double checked - and I was using plain Doom2 game configuration in WadAuthor, not Boom. Hm, weird. The line triggers like it should, it's only when the floor stops moving and should change its texture, that's when it crashes.

Line types in Vanilla Doom which change the flat and sector type take both from the sector the front of the trigger is facing.

Hence your trigger will try to change the flat and type of sector 1 to that of sector 0, which both feature the same flat (FLOOR4_8) and sector type (type 0). Presumebly that the type is the same confuses Vanilla Doom.

ZDoom however, which I assume you and also subatomic, used to check your wad's, features entirely different behaviour to this and will take the flat and sector type from sector 2, the sector which the trigger tells sector 1 to lower to the height of.