Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bozzy

Alien Vendetta + Other Wads

i have been using ZDoom for all the offical ID software produced games and its perfect... however it will only play those.

does anybody know which source port i can use to play alien vendetta (and other wads) i am running windows xp 32 bit service pack 3.

i have it working on PrBoom however i cant use a 360 controller with it or set controls for next/previous weapon

so anybody know a source port i can use to play wads such as alien vendetta with a 360 controller OR mouse and keyboard with next + previous weapon keys bindable (cause using the numbers is awkward and often gets me kill)

any help would be appreciated greatly.

p.s. i wish to play it singleplayer. so if there is 1 where it simply provides a list of found Wads to and just runs it when i select it like ZDoom that would be great =]

Yon can run PWADS (such as Alien Vendetta or others) with ZDoom just fine. There's different ways to do that. I personally like dragging the wad on the executable.

doesnt work with ZDoom for me... i drag it onto the EXE or i load the exe both ways it comes up with. ultimate doom, doom 2 and both parts of final doom but wont come up with alien vendetta.

any ideas?

ok weird... i use your method it doesnt show AV, it highlights the last played game (for me TNT) i press ok without changing anything and it loads AV

oh well.. it works. thx alot =]

shame i cant run it through steam to let ppl know what game im playing + chat in game though. because i have to drag the file on the EXE

Bozzy said:

doesnt work with ZDoom for me... i drag it onto the EXE or i load the exe both ways it comes up with. ultimate doom, doom 2 and both parts of final doom but wont come up with alien vendetta.

any ideas?

Did you try just choosing Doom 2: Hell On Earth?

Doom 2 is an IWAD (Initial WAD) which contains all of Doom's data and is required to play most PWADs (Patch WAD) such as Alien Vendetta. Zdoom asks you to pick an IWAD at first because some wads are only compatible with certain IWADs.

Many other source ports offer the same 'drag over and play' support such as Chocolate Doom, and PrBoom, I don't know why people always have to suggest ZDoom for every possible scenario :/

if i select doom 2: hell on earth. it starts doom 2.

anyway yeah the drag and drop works so im doing that. even though it wont work with steam that way.

and i like ZDoom the best cause i grew up with doom and i like to play doom how it was back then. and ZDoom to me (with jump and crouch turned off) feels like the originals which i like

ZDoom is easiest to use for me i've tried loads and i cant figure them out. all keys and controller are easy to map, it looks like the original whereas some i've watched the graphics looked blury sometimes and to me the monsters look like they have been cut out in photoshop and cut back in.

ZDoom does everything to my specification so thats why i use it anyway

I use ZDoom Runner with my Skulltag, because I store my Skulltag folder off my desktop (so it's not a fucking cluttered mess) and because it provides more convenience for me.

Bozzy said:

downfall of ZDoom

playing Wads which are 1 map (i tried this one called newcity: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=5264) doesnt work with ZDoom =[

I just tried it on zdoom, it's fine. You are doing something wrong.

As a note.. just because you load a custom wad doesn't mean the titlepic is going to be replaced.

Also, that wad is for Doom 1 on map E1M1, so don't use Doom 2 or final doom to load it.

yeah it worked that way

wasnt worth my time tbh... the whole pretending it was real buildings e.g. hotel didnt work for me.. anyway dont care about that.

finding what to do is near impossible... took me AGES to find the blue key then i couldnt get to the yellow one and gave up.

Bozzy said:

yeah it worked that way

wasnt worth my time tbh... the whole pretending it was real buildings e.g. hotel didnt work for me.. anyway dont care about that.

finding what to do is near impossible... took me AGES to find the blue key then i couldnt get to the yellow one and gave up.

It usually (but not all the time) helps to check the release date of a wad before playing it. Tons and tons of wads were released between 1994-97, and at that time mapping was really new and the map editors were low quality, and people didn't really have a lot of good maps to be inspired by anyway so a great deal of it is junk. Sometimes I like to play 1994 wads once in a while to see what maps were like back in the day. but if you are looking for things that are good, your best luck would be in wads that were relased in 1999 or later.

ill check those maps out sometime thx... i love city maps. i mean i LOVED downtown from doom 2. great map.

best map i have ever played though has to be map 20 "Misri Halek" from alien vendetta. the work put into it is immense. lots of monsters, giant map etc. however im lost after going through the yellow door lol. so still not finished it yet.

god bless youtube. i found the way to do the map... not exactly simple to find the finish near the end of that map. still great tho.

alien vendetta just shows me how bad i really am at the game (not refering to getting lost) im playing easiest difficulty cause its my first time playing it and im getting owned often.

nice ZDL works nicely

then i tried ZDR (ZDoom Runner) and thats PERFECT!. it works like ZDL apart from in game steam works when i use ZDR too and all WADS works including alien vendetta so it does everything i want :D so thx alot! =]

40oz said:
Many other source ports offer the same 'drag over and play' support such as Chocolate Doom,

Not Chocolate, as far as I know. The drag and drop feature depends on file extension detection, which Boom started (it's kind of funny that a DOS executable has automatic drag and drop capabilities.) But, in any case, drag and drop is not the only way to run Doom engines, and while straightforward, can be limiting. The command line might be confusing to the cavemen being bred on touch screens nowadays, that is true, but, as mentioned, there are also launchers...