Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kagemaru_H

Bagged a Gameboy Color

I found a GameBoy Color at a thrift store today, with 2 games: Tetris 2 (more like Columns with the Tetris name slapped on it, but still pretty fun) and Rainbow Six. Sometime when my family has more money, I'll be getting more games for it, obviously the Pokemon series, Zelda, Metroid 2, and some Mario games.

Now, Doomworld, what would you recommend that I buy for my GameBoy Color? And before Maes pops in saying I should mod it to accept GameKing carts, that would be a pretty pointless idea because 1) I'll already have a GameKing to play GameKing games on if I buy one just for parts and 2) I do not currently own a GameKing. Though looking for a flashcard and downloading homebrew doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I remeber getting my Game Boy Color for Christmas and being really pissed that it wasn't self illuminating, which tethered my to play under a lamp regardless of the time of day. And the sucker I am fell for it again with the GBA.

You would have been a hundred times better off buying a GBA SP and playing the GBC carts on that.

Yeah I hated that as well. And I never did get around to getting an SP, so I never had the advantage of backlight. ;/

As for good GBC games, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX is a great redo of the gameboy classic, plus Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are both pretty good. Also, pick up Metal Gear Solid for GBC as well.. it plays much more like the MSX games than the playstation games. Be sure to check out Wario Land II while you're at it.

Didn't the GBC have a light attachment? Something you hook to your gameboy and it provides sufficient light for gameplay? I'd be best off with a battery driven attachment, like that thing that had a speaker unit, a light, and a magnifier all in one.

Gameboys fail. What kind of idiot puts a glossy cover on a reflective LCD screen? Just another fantastic UI-design failure from the Land of the Rising Sun!

GBA SP on top. I don't know why Nintendo stopped making the GBA SP. It could have been a steady money grabber, much like Sony's PS2 is now. That stable cash flow is important.

Csonicgo said:

GBA SP on top. I don't know why Nintendo stopped making the GBA SP. It could have been a steady money grabber, much like Sony's PS2 is now. That stable cash flow is important.

They make a shitload of money with the Nintendo DS and the Wii and don't need a "steady money grabber" when what they essentially have right now is a giant money vacuum. Also, based on trends I've been noticing first hand, PS2 sales have all but died, whereas the sales of both the Nintendo DS Lite/DSi and the Nintendo Wii are on an incline, even with there being a dry spell as far as quality games are concerned for both systems.

Aliotroph? said:

Gameboys fail. What kind of idiot puts a glossy cover on a reflective LCD screen? Just another fantastic UI-design failure from the Land of the Rising Sun!

The creator of that died in a car crash, btw. I guess he couldn't see through his glossy cover called a windshield. *rimshot*

Kagemaru_H said:

Didn't the GBC have a light attachment?

I had one and well, they don't work nearly as well as a back lit screen. They really dropped the ball all the way up to the SP. Didn't the Game Gear have a back lit screen?

I remember getting my Game Boy Color. Though they're not Color games, I definitely recommend Super Mario Land 1 and 2.

The screen was a bit hard to see, but somehow I don't remember having nearly the amount of trouble I did with the GBA.

Kagemaru_H said:

Didn't the GBC have a light attachment?

I had one for the GBA. I relied on it to see, but it was quite annoying having to hold it at a certain angle to avoid the glare.

I miss my SP so much. I had it in my backpack to play Four Swords with my friends and the screen cracked :( Might try getting a hold of one of those backlight SPs (the original had a frontlight).

The first game I got with my Gameboy Color was Grand Theft Auto. I refused to hate it because it was GTA on the go, but in reality that game was far from finished.

-Cars driving on the street were extremely rare
-All cars were instantly sent into the top speed from pressing the accelerate button
-No parked cars anywhere
-No pedestrians on the street unless you were in a car
-Police chases were extremely buggy
-Some missions couldn't be completed
-Damaged cars could explode without warning

There's way more. That game was so bad. But at least the maps were accurate to the PC version.

EDIT: here's a vid if you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSRf_3iU3Vo

Technician said:

Didn't the Game Gear have a back lit screen?

Yeah, and it also ate about 8 AA's. I actually still have my Game Gear, but I have no clue where all of my games went. As for the topic, the Donkey Kong Land games are pretty good (if you don't have a GBA to get the much better versions).

Csonicgo said:

The creator of that died in a car crash, btw. I guess he couldn't see through his glossy cover called a windshield. *rimshot*

Gunpei Yokoi was struck by a car on a freeway as he was attempting to change a flat tire. Fuckers need to watch where they are driving.

I would recommend Super Mario Bros. DX; I was addicted to that game back in 1999.

Also, that guy with the top 15 list put Crystalis on there. I wouldn't touch the GBC version of that game with a 15-foot pole. Not only did they completely change the story, but the music is horrible. I mean like ear-bleedingly horrible. And it's not just bad renditions of the original music, either. It's completely different, and it's total shit.

Another message to warn you to avoid GTA! I could make a better game myself in about a month, probably. In fact i started to once but my plans got more and more ambitious and now it's gonna need me to learn Unity 3D.

I remember having a Turok platformer that was pretty fun but i barely played it, i just watched some kid on the school bus play it instead, he was actually good at these things.

I had a GB Color years ago, though I eventually sold it on eBay. I have a GBA SP with a flashcart if I ever want to relive the nostalgia which does fine.

Get Kirby's Star Stacker, that game is more addictive than crack.

* disclaimer: poster has never tried crack

Daikatana for the GBC was a great game! NO, seriously, it was. It was only sold in Europe and maybe Asia. Commander Ken for GBC was terrible in my opinion but Duke Nukem GBC was a great retelling of the second game.

Kagemaru_H said:

...obviously the Pokemon series...

Don't bother with Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal unless you know how to replace a Game Boy cartridge battery. The 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week internal clock that they use kills the battery after 4-8 years. At this point in time virtually all copies have lost the ability to save. Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow should work fine though.

Doom_user said:

Don't bother with Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal unless you know how to replace a Game Boy cartridge battery. The 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week internal clock that they use kills the battery after 4-8 years. At this point in time virtually all copies have lost the ability to save. Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow should work fine though.

Everyone knows how to replace GBC cart batteries because it's on the internet. It's really just a matter of caring enough.

And Gold/Silver/Crystal in my opinion are good Pokemon games like their predecessors were.

I would also grab the Game and Watch Gallery series, though 4 and 5 weren't on GBC.

Kagemaru_H said:

Everyone knows how to replace GBC cart batteries because it's on the internet. It's really just a matter of caring enough.

And Gold/Silver/Crystal in my opinion are good Pokemon games like their predecessors were.

I didn't mean to say Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal aren't as good as the original 3 games, I just meant that Red, Blue, and Yellow should still be able to save with the original battery.

As far as game suggestions that haven't been mentioned yet, I remember hearing about a Tomb Raider game for Game Boy Color that's supposed to be really good.

Believe it or not, the GBC version of Donkey Kong Country is very fun and its just as good as the original SNES version.

Doom_user said:

Time-based games have always sucked. and why they didnt use simple NVRAM or flash for saves I will never know.

Csonicgo, time-based games do not always suck. Just because Castlevania 2 was mediocre doesn't stop Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal from being solid RPG's, unless you believe the game doesn't need 100 more Pokemon.

Quasar said:

Fuckers need to watch where they are driving.

I no, rite? That's the reason we lose people as legendary as Gunpei Yokoi.

Doom_user said:

Thankfully the DS remakes are showing up sometime this year, so now it'll be the DS battery that dies instead of the game's. Just the way Mr. Yokoi would have wanted it.