Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How much longer do you think Doom will last before people stop playing it?

Like Rock 'N Roll, DOOM is here to stay! Oh, wait...

Maes said:

I am aware that kids today tend to be more and more uneducated fucktards that don't even know where milk comes from...

The grocery store, right?[/sarcasm]

neubejiita said:

In the 24th century, we will have Doom in the Holodeck. Today it's E1M7!

That would be especially awesome if it still had vanilla graphics

Heh, a holodeck running a 2.5D software engine.

But really, I can't wait to put on a pair of glasses with a little hi-def screen for each eye, step onto a big mouse wheel, pick up my shotgun controller, and blast demons off of phobos in immersive 3D virtual reality.

I guess with wii and project "natal", we are making our first steps in that direction. I wonder how it will turn out...

phi108 said:

I guess with wii and project "natal", we are making our first steps in that direction. I wonder how it will turn out...

Very tiresome, to say the least ;-)

If you tone down the gameplay to Doom 3's mechanics, maybe it'll be playable. Else you might as well place a mountain bike or better yet, an enduro motorcycle on that wheelie, or be prepared to lose 20 pounds each time you play through a level!

Maes said:

be prepared to lose 20 pounds each time you play through a level!

Lose weight and have fun at the same time - sign me up for 3 levels and have a team of paramedics on standby! ;-)

I have actually thought about that holodeck thing before; I watch me some trek (sue me) and if I had a holodeck, one of the first things I'd try is playing Doom

Airman266 said:

I watch me some trek (sue me)

I'd sue you if you DIDN'T watch Star Trek, heh.

Speaking of holodecks, wasn't that one of the big inspirations for John Carmack to start making FPSs in the first place? Read it in Masters of Doom if I'm not mistaken.

phi108 said:

But really, I can't wait to put on a pair of glasses with a little hi-def screen for each eye, step onto a big mouse wheel, pick up my shotgun controller, and blast demons off of phobos in immersive 3D virtual reality.

Don't say that too loud, Activision might be listening ;)

As for Holodeck Doom, fire up Hell Revealed or Deus Vult for a REAL workout!

If you think about it, the Holodeck is the video game console.

The ultimate holodeck experience would be to make it recreate a living room with an 80s TV and an Atari 2600 (AVGN is optional) or a 1993 PC with Doom ;-)

Texas Libra said:

I'd sue you if you DIDN'T watch Star Trek, heh.

Speaking of holodecks, wasn't that one of the big inspirations for John Carmack to start making FPSs in the first place? Read it in Masters of Doom if I'm not mistaken.

I remember in the Wolfenstein manual, it mentions that Carmak..."is [was] already disgusted with the technology. He's excited about his ideas for rendering virtual worlds", or something to that effect.

It's true, in any case; Carmack did think of holodecks and the book does mention it.

Maes said:

The ultimate holodeck experience would be to make it recreate a living room with an 80s TV and an Atari 2600 (AVGN is optional) or a 1993 PC with Doom ;-)

Make that four networked 486 DX2 66s. They should also have Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Descent, Heretic, Dark Forces, and Warcraft II.

Never. Mapping may eventually slow to a point where it's just an "educational mapping language" (read: get started programming games by writing for doom) and source ports may eventually see their main updates in the form of ports to new platforms and being a "educational programming platform" (read: modify DOOM code as an easy way of getting used to modifying C++/SDL game code, since it's already written and is free software and fairly simple code.)
I see a few DOOM futures:
*For one, playing the game is like Nintendo games; it'll never get old. Speaking of the nintendo, Doom is great on the Wii. Now if only you could play it without hacking the Wii... The game will pass to new generations like say Tetris, Super Mario Bros, or Arkanoid. Also, it'll pass to mobile phones and to brand-new players, like me. (started playing in 2005!)
*Also Playing modded versions of the game (source ports, map mods) is also going to last. I am fairly sure of this, simply because there are so many great maps out. When you learn about playing the original DOOM/DOOM2, you learn later about .WADs and such. You also begin expiermenting with source ports, as opposed to just sticking with the one you found first (say PRBOOM or ZDOOM, the most common source ports.)
*Doom has very low system requirements. It plays great on phones, UMPCs, tablets, old consoles, etc.
*Doom editing is great for learning how to edit levels or game executables. The code and much of the levels are open. And the design is simple. And the game is fun.

I've been playing this game for over 14 years and I'm still not tired of it.

I don't see it dying any time soon.

I've been playing DOOM for most of the 18 years I've been alive, and I've never once gotten bored with it or thought of stopping. I know there are so many people out there who feel the same way I do, and I put new people on to DOOM as much as I can. So no, I don't think DOOM will ever lose its fanbase.

I'm guilty of going on gaming kicks and not playing Doom at all. Like right now I'm on a Modern Warfare 2 kick (Xbox live of course...add me guys seedleSs71). Anyways I still love Doom and what not but I get distracted by other games. I'll play the shitload out of a game get bored with it and go to another.

Imp said:

Xbox live of course

Got PS3 version but I added your tag anyway.

edit: I'd reply to your message Imp, but apparently you can't send messages with a silver membership anymore

stupid microsoft

GreyGhost said:

Someone activate the Orbital Defence Grid!

They can't, you're using it as your avatar.

Anyway, go lynch Essel, the bad man who done taught me such delinquency.

Maes said:

The ultimate holodeck experience would be to make it recreate a living room with an 80s TV and an Atari 2600 (AVGN is optional) [...]

Make that a NES with full library AND James and i am in.
Better yet, just tell the HD to recreate James gaming room.

Cjwright79 said:

Make that four networked 486 DX2 66s. They should also have Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Descent, Heretic, Dark Forces, and Warcraft II.

You forgot X-Wing VS Tie-Fighter, Wing Commander Armada (or was Academy the multiplayer version?), Dungeon Keeper and Westwoods(!) Command and Conquer. :D