Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

ZDoom 2.4.1 released

A new official version of ZDoom is available, 2.4.1. As typical, this is mirrored by a new version of GZDoom, 1.4.2. I said it was mirrored!

Not many fancy features this time, these are mostly bug fix releases.

• Floor waggle effects are smoother now
  • Sliders in the menus work correctly now
  • Negative numbers in the alternate HUD have their minus sign at the right place now
  • Menu option scales better in widescreen resolution
  • Player setup menu looks better in non-Doom games
  • Moving cameras work correctly again
  • Polyobjects glitch a bit less now
  • The internal nodebuilders works correctly now with certain troublesome maps
  • Strife conversations fixed and improved
  • Many nitpicky fixes in Strife (switch sounds, messages, etc.)
  • Action Doom 2 and Harmony can now use idclev, and they have their Autoload section in the .ini
  • MAPINFO "ResetInventory" keyword now works as expected
  • If you experience input problems when using ZDoom through something such as Wine, set the norawinput console variable to "true".
  • GZDoom fix: sprites are no longer oddly stretched or squashed on graphic chipsets that do not support non-power-of-two textures.
New features do include these two things:
  • When saving, if you use a game controller rather than the keyboard, an input grid now appears and lets you enter a name and actually save. The input grid remains off if no controller is plugged, or if it isn't used when saving the game.
  • A new control lump type has been added. GAMEINFO is extremely simple to use.

I think ZDoom 2.4.0 saves can be loaded by ZDoom 2.4.1. I don't remember changes to the serializer and the minsavever variable hasn't been changed.

Gez said:

New features do include these two things:
When saving, if you use a game controller rather than the keyboard, an input grid now appears and lets you enter a name and actually save. The input grid remains off if no controller is plugged, or if it isn't used when saving the game.

Wait a min, does that mean that it is now actually possible to use a controller (in my case, a Xbox 360 controller) to save the game so you won't have to walk all the way towards the keyboard just to hit the quick save button?

Please tell me that this is the case! I sometimes connect my laptop to my 42 inch LCD TV and play Doom on that using my Xbox 360 controller and begin able to save my game using my controller instead of the F6 key would make it much more comfortable to play.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Cool.

But there go all of my saves again :[.

The savegames haven't been changed significantly for a long time now. The last breaking change was 4 months ago - long before even thinking about a 2.4.x release.

Also, ZDBSP has been updated as well. Features the same fixes as those in ZDoom 2.4.1's internal nodebuilder, plus another fix when building nodes for several maps in a single wad file.

hardcore_gamer said:

Wait a min, does that mean that it is now actually possible to use a controller (in my case, a Xbox 360 controller) to save the game so you won't have to walk all the way towards the keyboard just to hit the quick save button?

I think so. You just need to bind some of your controller button to the "quicksave", "quickload", "menu_save" and/or "menu_load" commands.

Gez said:

I think so. You just need to bind some of your controller button to the "quicksave", "quickload", "menu_save" and/or "menu_load" commands.

Great! If true then this will make it all the more easier and fun to play the PSX Doom TC on Gzdoom (assuming that Gzdoom supports the same features as the new Zdoom of course)!

EDIT: I just downloaded the latest version of Gzdoom and while some things were different i have so far found no option that allows me to save my game using the controller. Can somebody point out what to do? Anyone?

In the console, you can bind things that arent shown in the controls menu.

"Bind q quicksave" would bind quicksave to the q key.

I think "bind joy# quicksave" would work for joystick buttons. Bind a joystick button to something else in the controls menu to see what it's called, then use that button's name to bind quicksave to it.

now my zdoom is broken. i tried loading doom.wad and doom2.wad and i get this

Service Pack 2
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Gameinfo scan took 0 ms
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding C:/ZDoom/zdoom.pk3, 520 lumps
adding ./doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Speed: 2095 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
Name: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz
Family 6, Model 23, Stepping 10
Features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright © Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.26.15
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
P_Init: Checking cmd-line parameters...
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Tried to register class 'AlienSpectre1' more than once.
Tried to register class 'AlienSpectre3' more than once.
Tried to register class 'Macil2' more than once.
No ActorInfo defined for class 'AlienSpectre1'
No ActorInfo defined for class 'AlienSpectre3'
No ActorInfo defined for class 'Macil2'

Execution could not continue.

3 errors during actor postprocessing

sad face :( gonna go try to hunt down the old version...

phi108 said:

In the console, you can bind things that arent shown in the controls menu.

"Bind q quicksave" would bind quicksave to the q key.

I think "bind joy# quicksave" would work for joystick buttons. Bind a joystick button to something else in the controls menu to see what it's called, then use that button's name to bind quicksave to it.

Ah! That did the job thank you!

But are the bindings permanent or do i have to repeat them each time a start the game?

NaturalTvventy said:

now my zdoom is broken. i tried loading doom.wad and doom2.wad and i get this

I get the Doom2 sky in Doom or vice versa - depending on the load order.

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Tried to register class 'AlienSpectre1' more than once.
Tried to register class 'AlienSpectre3' more than once.
Tried to register class 'Macil2' more than once.
No ActorInfo defined for class 'AlienSpectre1'
No ActorInfo defined for class 'AlienSpectre3'
No ActorInfo defined for class 'Macil2'

3 errors during actor postprocessing

Which wad are these actors in?

Those are in Strife. Something goofy is going on with whatever you're loading ZDoom with. Maybe you have an old ZDoom pk3?

Yes, you might have an old pk3. I just started the new ZDoom with an old pk3 and it gave a Macil error.

Copy EVERYTHING in the ZDoom 2.4.1 zip into your ZDoom folder, and overwrite all old files.

yea i did that (replace all). it still gave me the error. I'm sticking to the older version as there isn't a big enough difference for me to worry about it.

ps. i don't have strife on my computer, FYI

You definitely load the wrong ZDoom.pk3 with the EXE you are using. If you copied all files from the installation make sure that ZDoom doesn't load its files from some other directory.

Hmm, no errors for me. I deleted the previous version entirely, then installed the new one. I haven't had any issues.

WinXP SP3
GeForce 9600GT

Fantastic. For whatever reason my Doom didn't survive the transfer to Vista 64 a year ago, every time I tried a new zdoom version it would crash while loading, seems to work fine now. Kudos to whatever they did that fixed it, I can now play Doom again.

we are all probably glad that you can play Doom again good sir... I downloaded zdoom about 2 months ago and I have Vista x64, It worked fine for me

Jello said:

Fantastic. For whatever reason my Doom didn't survive the transfer to Vista 64 a year ago, every time I tried a new zdoom version it would crash while loading, seems to work fine now. Kudos to whatever they did that fixed it, I can now play Doom again.

You had tried compatibility mode?

BTW: What can be done to improve sound on Linux (Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64)?
Wait patiently for the move to OpenAL? ;)

I haven't had time to fully test this yet but I think they broke strifedialogs again.

Grrr...

I'm gonna kill this nitpick Deathlike2 eventually because he makes Randy do all kinds of shit to fix his non-bugs...

What's wrong by the way?

Dialogues in Strife itself work fine for me. Haven't tested modded dialogues, though.

Graf Zahl said:

What's wrong by the way?

They don't show up at all in r2129. The last version I was using that they worked in was r1935. Since then I haven't changed anything in the script or anything related to it (be it the actors, map or dialog script).