Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elbryan42

Doom Depot - Your input needed.

I'm currently working on the redesign. One of the main things I'm doing is using animated gifs for the titles of the pages. I have a sample on my page right now, under "Doom Music". Let me know what you think.

What I'm worried about is that people with slow modems won't be able to see all of the graphics right away. Or that they aren't someone's style.

I've been thinking about doing 2 versions of the website. Animated and not animated. This would require a startup page, which some people don't like, and can take down the overall enjoyment of the site, having to click into it every time.

So, what are your thoughts. Please, your input matters. If I were to just make it the way only I care about, people can't get full enjoyment out of the site.

What I'm worried about is that people with slow modems won't be able to see all of the graphics right away.

Heh, that's what slow modems are all about.

Just make something that looks good and leave it as one version. Even if you did do separate animated and non-animated versions, people might still give external links to the animated pages anyhow.

Or, you could always go with a text/table-based layout and trash the images alltogether.

Or, you could always go with a text/table-based layout and trash the images alltogether.

There's no real need here for fancy web design and graphics. You can take Loot's above suggestion and the site would still be fairly good looking.

Go for a consistent color theme that is appealing to the eyes, it doesn't really need to be linked with Doom's overall colors. The use of background images with such a mixture of high and low frequency detail like the ones you're using now makes some really nasty tiling.

If you want to stick a gif in the background go with scanlines or something with minimal contrast variations. Texture from some newer games might help a bit in this case.

Use images as minimalistic decoration. Like some tiny stuff for each news headlines or navbar items. If you're going for speed there's no need for a Mastermind over the counter.

there's no need for a Mastermind over the counter.

But who else has the brain capacity to count each and every visitor?

Well, I decided to not use the animated gifs. Sure, they looked cool, but they just didn't look right. I'll probably just put all of the animated gifs on their own page when the update is complete.

I just spent the last few hours (couldn't sleep) doing a newer, much better design for the website. It doesn't use as much graphics, and doesn't have frames, but in my opinion, looks a lot better. Here's a taste:

http://depot.wrong.button.com/version2.html

Please note that this is just the basic design, and there's much more work to do. I once again used the Doom Music page as a guinnea pig. Let me know what you think.

However, like Zaldron said, the tiled background looks kind of crappy. Sure, I love the Doom 64 Pentegram, but it will look better if it wasn't a repeating image. However, I don't want to just have a plain color in the background. I dunno if I'll change it or not. Depends if an option is revealed to me.

I expect the redesign to be done within a few weeks.

Woah, much better. The pentagram needs to go, but other than that it's way cooler. You should try out a monotoned texture as background, something bigger than 128x128, though.

I guess I know what style to use. Well... time to work on it more.

I changed the background. How's this one?

Question: Which do you prefer? Long pages (aka one for all of Doom Music) or short pages (one for psx music, one for snes music, one for n64 music, etc)?

Long pages. Makes the site even more interesting.

Nice background, I'll say it's pretty much done. Maybe you could change the color green...

Some of the psx Doom music was the absolute shit, as was the imp_aquire sound.

Heh, I like the PC music in mp3 format much much much better!

Well, I don't know. On the one hand, animated stuff on websites is nice, and it would make your site look even nicer, elbryan. On the other hand, it would greatly slow down the load up time if you have a modem slower than a 56k.
So, I say-what the heck. Go ahead.

I didn't like the old design, this one is cool, so don't listen to cren because he listens to trent.

Heh, I like the PC music in mp3 format much much much better!

Yes, but where is it?

Yes, but where is it?

Right here!
http://www.doomworld.com/music/index.shtml
Or here
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/111/bobby_prince.html

As for the console music, I personally think that the PSX menu and intermission music is the best music ever in an official Doom release. I hope that the style used (what I call "Symphonic Dark Metal") is what Doom 3's music will sound like.

I just downloaded all the DOOM64 and PSX DOOM MP3's - they are all awesome!

Elbryan, thank you for being my hero :D

i better go download them, then :D

You're welcome!

It's hard to believe that a a year after the N64 and PSX Doom MP3s were finished, people are still downloading them everyday. Wow.