Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traversd

Any "trick" to shorten middle texture

Hi All,

I've got a boom compatible map where I'm using a middle texture but I'd like to only show half of it (64 units instead of 128). The height of the sector is much larger than 128 (I'm using the middle texture for some fake windows above the player).

Besides the option of creating a new texture definition that is only 64 units has a "trick" ever been figured out to trim the middle texture?

The player must be able to walk under the "trick".

I've been trying variants of lower neighbouring sectors with no upper textures defined and different light values but the midtex still is visible up past the lower sectors ceiling.

Cheers,
Travers

traversd said:

I'm using the middle texture for some fake windows above the player.

If you're using the full height of those you can just make a line 1 unit in front of the sector for the windows instead. It blends especially well if the player can't see it from the sides ...

I would like to know this too. I don't believe there is, though if you wanted to keep your PWAD small you could just use TEXTURE1 to make new texture names from existing patches, as opposed to making a whole new cropped texture image.

Super Jamie said:

I would like to know this too. I don't believe there is, though if you wanted to keep your PWAD small you could just use TEXTURE1 to make new texture names from existing patches, as opposed to making a whole new cropped texture image.

In non-ZDoom ports, though, the texture will still be drawn all the way to the bottom of the patch, even if you set its height to something shorter. You'll have to export the patch, crop it to the desired height using Paint or something, and import it as a new texture.

It's probably worth pointing out that the TEXTURE1 hacking to make midtextures does work in at least PrBoom 2.5.0, PrB+ later than that, and as essel said in ZDoom.

It does however produce the drawing errors in Vanilla, Boom 2.02 and Eternity, so I guess it depends what degree of "boom-compatible" you're aiming for.

as a guess:

ooooooooooooooo
o(ceiling 192)o       (ceiling 128)
o             o
o  xxxxxxxxx  o
o             o
o             o
ooooooooooooooo

put mid textured line (xxxx's) inside box that has higher ceiling than surrounding ceiling. Don't texture upper oooo's, so surrounding ceiling bleeds in to cover the top half of the mid texture (but I don't really know which portion you want cut or how you want it etc).

I knew a pic would've been worth a thousand words ;o)

How it was before I decided to lower the windows
http://t.underworldgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/wille1m1-window2.jpg

What I've managed to get so far. I think I can fix the sky ceiling with another sector and a textured uppertex to stop the sector bleed of the sky.
http://t.underworldgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/wille1m1-window1.jpg

SJ: It's actually for my wille1m1 tune-up. I thought about you comment on re: the addictiv windows that could only be seen with mlook. So thought I'd have a crack at lowering them 64 units. Because the tune-up states boom and stock textures I'm trying to get the effect without a new tex or patch. I figure if there isn't an already known "trick" I'll give myself tonight to try and do it - otherwise I'll left it as is.

(yes. I really should just leave it as is regardless *L*)

-travers

I noticed from the screenshots :)

Limited to stock TEXTURE1 I don't think there's much you could do. However for that particular window, you could lower the ceiling, add METAL or SUPPORT3 bars to the sides of the window, and use STEP6 as the midtex. Considering that's only 16 high you could probably see the window without mlook too.

I'm not sure how good STEP6 would look there, but it's the only thing I imagine would really fit in with the rest of the theme.

Thanks SJ.

I've got it working with a couple of exceptions (that kinda defeat the point *L*)

The windows ceiling needs to be sky or it doesn't work. I think in the end this is more a limit of the engine and how it treats f_sky versus other flats.

The other hitch is the patch gets drawn in full in software (prboom) regardless so software mode wont see the windows at all (but the room still looks OK). I've still lowered it all by 64 units and it looks good I think in GZDoom, GLBoom+ still renders the f_sky flat differently - ie: seems to break the trick. I don't know whether this means gzdoom is right or wrong and glboom vice versa - just different I suppose. It's not a huge game breaker I don't think in the end and the room has benefited from a bit more tinkering I think.

Thanks again,
Travers