Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

ZDaemon 0.99

Looking for windows binaries of ZDaemon 0.99. Can't seem to find these anywhere anymore, hoping they're still sitting on someone's hard drive here. Any help is appreciated :)

Haha, I remember just before 1.07 was released someone on the development team started up a 0.99 master server and a bunch of us got together and played some oldschool ZDaemon cooperative/deathmatch. Quite a difference from the ZDaemon today. The Dark Messenger of Doom, heh...

EarthQuake said:
The Dark Messenger of Doom, heh...

That was my idea :p

I was thinking of DOOM, daemon in the game and in computing, connectivity, and also of Sean's controversial black launcher.

DuckReconMajor said:
What was changed in 1.07 that people liked in 0.99?

I'm not sure if it's a matter of liking, but the main difference with later versions is that its networking is still derived from CSDoom's.

CSDoom had a weird way of networking to reduce lag by actually going into a sort-of "bullet-time" mode, where the next tic would not progress in-game until everyone has received the packet. I assume that the server monitored ping values and averaged the slowdown based on highest ping. Of course this would slow a game down for everyone, but it was fair. Especially on modem connexions where ping was usually 250+ ms. It's this that made deathmatches quite interesting to play for me.

Csonicgo said:

CSDoom had a weird way of networking to reduce lag by actually going into a sort-of "bullet-time" mode, where the next tic would not progress in-game until everyone has received the packet. I assume that the server monitored ping values and averaged the slowdown based on highest ping. Of course this would slow a game down for everyone, but it was fair. Especially on modem connexions where ping was usually 250+ ms. It's this that made deathmatches quite interesting to play for me.

Pretty positive this is inaccurate and that you're thinking of ZDoom's peer-to-peer netplay

Ralphis said:

Pretty positive this is inaccurate and that you're thinking of ZDoom's peer-to-peer netplay

never used zdoom's peer-to-peer when I was on a modem, only csdoom playing get simple a lot

I never tried it, but maybe that's the way it behaves if you turn off client prediction.