Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Horror

Favorite MIDIs?

I just use whatever MIDIs are in the WAD, with the rare occasion where a MIDI is so bad that I rip it out or type idmus##. My favorites are the originals from DOOM and DOOM II, because they're as natural as the textures, sprites and sounds in the game. That said, I certainly don't mind custom music, especially if made here in the community.

TheMionicDonut said:
Does it make me a mini mod to say what you just said was minimodding?

We don't employ midgets here, just guys that sit in the back row and throw stuff down at the rest of the audience. Jodwin was giving good advice there, in any case.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Not if you have sound editing skills, and are able to remove all vocals from the song, leaving just some riff, and the solo. That will make the song looks like a demo. Nobody will ever fuck up with you by doing that. Also, I'm sure you will not want to sell your wad, or something like that.

The music is still protected by copyright laws. Not having the wad for sale still doesn't make it legal to use copyrighted work.

Not if the music isn't original. As I said, if you have good sound editing skills, you can get a few parts of the song, and assemble it to make a new one. That's the same thing as say some sport programm is doing illegal stuff by playing the 20 first seconds of a band's song while showing some spetacular car crash, or a near-impossible goal, or wanting to put somebody in jail for puting his most favorite band's cd to play during his birthday party.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

That's the same thing as say some sport programm is doing illegal stuff by playing the 20 first seconds of a band's song while showing some spetacular car crash, or a near-impossible goal, or wanting to put somebody in jail for puting his most favorite band's cd to play during his birthday party.

You honestly think they play those songs without permission? The owners of those copyrights get paid bigbux every time those songs are played.

As for the birthday party, there are certain laws regarding things like that. For example, your band can cover a song without permission, but only if the audience is less than 25 people I believe.

If you want an analogy, here: you're working on a wad/novel/song/whatever and I decide I'm just going to cut pieces out and release it as my own.

The similarity is: You are not using the original full song, and you are not asking money for it. Also, don't you mind that people may want to buy the albuns? You are making some marketing, after all.

People do use copyrighted songs about years on game mods. I really never heard about somebody getting busted for that.

I'm not a huge fan of MIDI's but as far as the original Doom music goes I'd have to say E1M5 and E1M7

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:
Not if the music isn't original. As I said, if you have good sound editing skills, you can get a few parts of the song, and assemble it to make a new one.

Please try not to suggest dishonest behavior. In any case, if people find out it's derived, it's the same as if the music were just copied. You wouldn't go to jail; your WAD would just likely get rejected from idgames or the like.

The idgames admin has received letters of cease and desist from corporate lawyers in the past, so he prefers to discourage ripped music rather than one day be forced to delete a good number of WADs just because some people put copyrighted material from companies that are jealous of their products.

@Sergeant_Mark_IV: Just listen to yourself. You are saying that there is nothing wrong with stealing cars, as long as I only take the wheels, the engine, and the hood, which I will later repaint, and I don't get caugth.

So this thread, not unlike 10 out of 10 threads regarding music, boils down to this. But that last post delivers this important moral to us in spades.

Lesson learned. Same time next music related thread?

Snakes said:

A lot of the converted ones just feel like dried up versions of the original.

...unless ofc you didn't hear the originals first. Which was the case for me and Metallica tunes, now I love the first 3 albums cos of it.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Not if you have sound editing skills, and are able to remove all vocals from the song, leaving just some riff, and the solo. That will make the song looks like a demo. Nobody will ever fuck up with you by doing that. Also, I'm sure you will not want to sell your wad, or something like that.

I never meant I wanted to download a bunch of Slayer MP3's, remove vocals, and use them in a DOOM WAD. I wanted to use some Metal/Industrial music I find on the NewGrounds Audio Portal in a WAD while stating they're public domain and crediting the author(s)in the TXT file. I doubt it will be allowed in the archives simply for using MP3 files, so I'll take hosting into my own hands (MediaFire and another external site).

Kagemaru_H said:

stating they're public domain

I think you'd be lying. I highly doubt anything in the Newgrounds Audio Portal has been released to the Public Domain.

Wads with .mp3 or .ogg music are pefectly fine in the archives. You just can't use COPYWRIGHTED tracks, or tracks that are otherwise not freely distributable. And you can't go over the idgames file size limit, so you may want to downsample the songs to a lower frequency or higher ogg/midi compression to get them smaller, if they still sound good enough afterward.

Even then, though, the songs might take up more space than the maps, so a megawad with 32 big .mp3s might not be desireable.

And for the record, I love MIDI music, for the lower filesize and the vast amount of awesome, unheard tracks out there just waiting for me to listen to them in their early 90s retro glory.

DuckReconMajor said:

I think you'd be lying. I highly doubt anything in the Newgrounds Audio Portal has been released to the Public Domain.

I'm pretty sure tracks in the Audio Portal are usable as long as whoever uses them gives credit to the author(s) and doesn't sell anything involving the music. Doom WADS are not supposed to be sold, which gives a solid ground to be able to use NG Audio Portal tracks in a WAD. Though for my current project I'm not using stuff from the Audio Portal. I'm exclusively using MIDIs for my TC.

Since I already posted in this thread, I might as well say something on topic.

One of my favorite MIDI soundtracks was made by Matt Murphy for the game Raptor: Call of the Shadows. I also like Mark Klem's work, especially the music he made for Wacky Wheels.

The Green Herring made some great MIDIs, I'm currently addicted to Your Time is Long Overdue, and I've been playing his Year 22 a lot just because of this track. Well, the level is fun too, it's a deadly combination.

I also like Jimmy's work a lot, especially those songs that sound a bit Hexen-inspired. I can also hear some Mark Klem in his compositions, which is a good thing.

Regarding music distribution rights, how about instead composing your OWN music? It should be marginally easier than building levels, because it's 1d not 2d. I've never finished music, but I'll try... And there are free applications up for grabs.

E1M5's music is my favorite in all of Doom. I also dig the music in Plutonia32 (I realize it's from E2M8 but it just seems to fit better in this map) and TNT31. I'm pretty sure that's earlier in the game somewhere but I don't remember where. It's also the music on the stats screen.

Wow this got alot of posts. Well I found the RE2 Save room MIDI and its awesome. I am actually using it in my first doom level lol

walter confalonieri said:

bashe stuff lol.

no, really paul corfiatis and jimmy91 is better

I'm surprised you even know what my stuff sounds like, but thank you for being honest. I agree wholeheartedly. :P

HR map 18, Hard Attack.

Actually, most any map featuring brass. Peter Gunn themed MIDIs in Doom? I'd lap it up like a thirsty hound.

Regarding that 20-seconds of music rationale, there are a couple of things called "sampling" and "fair use". The boundaries of which, compared to persecutable ripping off/copying , are usually dictated on a per-case basis.

E.g. you're a nobody with no money that used it on your youtube video? Not worth prosecuting. At most a half-assed warning and that's it.

Are you a local TV station using a jingle? Depends. Usually the local representative of a big record label may come knocking at your door and ask for a settlement, but no big court drama, unless the TV station is stubborn and the record label's lawyers believe that a trial is worth the risk.

Are you a multi-millionaire rockstar, and your adversary's lawyers think that they can milk you dry with ease? You're gonna get your ass sued (then again they could be wrong, and turn the whole thing in a lose-lose affair for everyone).

And so on, and so on. NO hard and fast rules here, just politics, opportunism, and market rule. Sometimes it just pays to stay shut up, even with a big wallet.