Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeenJammin

Stair crazy

I have just spent the better part of (too much time) making stairs work. Could someone tell me why some stair sectors need a zero tag and the rest don't?

You mean stair-building linedef actions? For those, the only stair that should have a non-zero tag is the first one, and the rest should all still be set to zero. Think of stairs like dominoes in a line - to knock them all down, you only have to push over the first one.

To make the other stair sectors also rise, make sure that, for all linedefs between two stair sectors, the front sidedef is pointing into the lower stair. Also, make sure that all linedefs surrounding your stairs have their front sidedefs pointing away from your stairs, or else funny things will happen.

Further to what Creaphis said, stairbuilding in Doom works by a process called "entraining" where the first sector with the tag is affected first, the stairbuilding procedure then carries on into adjacent sectors (or can be stopped) depending on which direction the front/rear side of the sector's linedefs face.

Have a look at Dr Sleep's Doom Builder Tutorial which explains things quite concisely with pictures.

Wow--big help. How ridiculously easy things can be when you know how--LOL! I had each stair tagged for one set while the third step without a tag made it work and on a different stairway I had walls bumping down and rising up for no apparent reason. X)
Thanks.