Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Duke Nukem mod (still going, upload 02/19/2010)

I am currently working on a mod for EDGE based on Duke Nukem 3D to get my mind off the death of my girlfriend. Yeah, sure this has been done a multitude of times before (more or less), you say. But my aim is to painstakingly recreate everything from Duke Nukem 3D as accurate as possible with a couple of surprises thrown in. Here is what i have done up to this time, it requires EDGE 1.34 or above.

RapidShare: http://rapidshare.com/files/342932426/DUKEDOOM.WAD.html

MegaUpload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U3PFKHX9

What is included:

WEAPONS: Pistol, Dual pistols, shotgun, chaingun, RPG, Pipebombs, Shrinker, Expander, Devastator and Freezethrower. Most of these aren't finsihed, so don't complain.

ENEMIES: Lizard Trooper, Lizard Captain, Pig Cop and Enforcer. All of these are under development.

All weapon, ammo, health and armor items are in place along with most of the common Duke grunts, screams and voices.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy!

NEW BETA VERSION (02/06/2010):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5VROE8PY

NEW DOWNLOAD 02/11 (multiple hosting sites!):

http://www.multiupload.com/OK32YWONJF

02/19/2010:

http://www.multiupload.com/RWTJFHYNZD
Newest version, not many changes since last, mostly fixes.

And here is a little bonus
http://www.multiupload.com/KIJWRG0KJ4

The above is a small patch that replaces most of the Duke voices with ones from various other Duke games such as Time to Kill and Land of the Babes. These are of considerable higher quality than the originals and are done by the same voice actor, Jon St. John. Allthough he seems to use a slightly deeper voice in these games.

It requires the DUKEDOOM.WAD and must be run after it (i.e. -file DUKEDOOM.WAD DUKEALT.WAD) for it to work properly

As an extra bonus most of the items and weapons are replaced with their Duke Nukem 64 counterparts to freshen things up. Don't worry, no censoring. In fact, every single weapon except the Freezethrower. I was considering replacing it with the Plasma Cannon from Duke 64, but it's such a boring weapon compared to the Freezethrower of the original. The Dual SMGs definetly kick the ass of the Chaingun Cannon
though.

Rapidshare is almost constantly full for me. Could you upload to Sendspace or Megaupload or Google Sites or something?

Also I don't mean to sully your work but you would probably reach a larger audience by making this for ZDoom. I've never really been much of an EDGE fan as it doesn't perspective-correct weapon sprites for me.

Super Jamie said:

Also I don't mean to sully your work but you would probably reach a larger audience by making this for ZDoom. I've never really been much of an EDGE fan as it doesn't perspective-correct weapon sprites for me.

This is being developed for EDGE, live with it. EDGE, atleast for me, is easier to work with and isn't as complex while still being very powerful. I honestly don't understand why everybody seems to hate EDGE so much. I do remember it being very buggy and unstable a long time ago, but c'mon, there's been tons of changes, bugfixes and improvements since.

The only complaint I have about EDGE is that it doesn't have unlimited frame rate (which is sufficient that I avoid using it.)

Upon playing around with this (and having to update EDGE...*grumble*), here are my thoughts on the subject...

1. Congratulations for making the pistol(s) actually useful. Duke's pistol was always my least favorite weapon. The ability to double up on them at least gives me the capability of killing things.

2. Uh, weapon placement is a bit strange. Why is the Devastator on the Super Shotgun slot? Considering that Duke doesn't exactly have a BFG-type weapon, I would think that it'd be better placed there (plus you could go for additional Duke accuracy by having it give you 25 rockets instead of only 10).

3. The Shrinker and Expander weapons feel like a massive cop-out. You know EDGE has custom damage and death types, right? So you can set enemies on fire?

4. Same pretty much goes for the Freezethrower, which at this point behaves more like a bouncy plasma rifle.

5. I'm pretty sure remote-detonated explosives are possible within EDGE - Immoral Conduct had satchel charges that could be blown remotely. Granted, I think that may have been a bit of a hack, but just to bear that in mind...the pipebombs kind of caught me off guard.

6. I like that you can still use the Mighty Foot altfire while you've got the kick equipped - means I can still do the Atomic Edition's "can-can" dance.

WildWeasel said:

1. Congratulations for making the pistol(s) actually useful. Duke's pistol was always my least favorite weapon. The ability to double up on them at least gives me the capability of killing things.

Yep. I always found it weird in the original game that Duke could only wield one pistol which he has from the start yet you could pick up a pistol for ammo.

WildWeasel said:
2. Uh, weapon placement is a bit strange. Why is the Devastator on the Super Shotgun slot? Considering that Duke doesn't exactly have a BFG-type weapon, I would think that it'd be better placed there (plus you could go for additional Duke accuracy by having it give you 25 rockets instead of only 10).[/B]

The weapons have to replace an existing weapon otherwise you will get both the new guns and the original Doom guns. It shouldn't affect actual gameplay whatsoever.

WildWeasel said:
3. The Shrinker and Expander weapons feel like a massive cop-out. You know EDGE has custom damage and death types, right? So you can set enemies on fire?[/B]

Like i mentioned, the weapons aren't finished. Yes, i know all about the features of EDGE.

WildWeasel said:
4. Same pretty much goes for the Freezethrower, which at this point behaves more like a bouncy plasma rifle.[/B]

See above

WildWeasel said:
5. I'm pretty sure remote-detonated explosives are possible within EDGE - Immoral Conduct had satchel charges that could be blown remotely. Granted, I think that may have been a bit of a hack, but just to bear that in mind...the pipebombs kind of caught me off guard.[/B]

I did that about 30 minutes back. You throw them then you either pick 'em up again or detonate them (with secondary attack).

WildWeasel said:
6. I like that you can still use the Mighty Foot altfire while you've got the kick equipped - means I can still do the Atomic Edition's "can-can" dance. [/B]

A bug in the original versions of Duke Nukem 3D made it possible to use both kicks on the screen at the same time while still being able to walk. This was somehow fixed in the Atomic Edition.

As much as I would like to try this,im not gonna install edge onto my computer

On another note,im sorry to hear for your loss,i know i would be a complete mess if anything happen to my girlfriend,just take some time to yourself and don't do anything stupid

CeeJay said:

The weapons have to replace an existing weapon otherwise you will get both the new guns and the original Doom guns. It shouldn't affect actual gameplay whatsoever.

Not quite what I meant - I mean why is the Devastator spawned wherever the Super Shotgun would normally be? Why not spawn it in place of the BFG9000, since it is probably the closest Duke has to an ultimate weapon? (Granted, that would leave the SSG's spawn slot open, but hmm, maybe a Duke 64 weapon wouldn't be terribly out of place there...)

Hey CeeJay, sorry to hear about your loss. I dabble in zdoom but stick to edge for the most part. Keep up the good work.

WildWeasel said:

Not quite what I meant - I mean why is the Devastator spawned wherever the Super Shotgun would normally be? Why not spawn it in place of the BFG9000, since it is probably the closest Duke has to an ultimate weapon? (Granted, that would leave the SSG's spawn slot open, but hmm, maybe a Duke 64 weapon wouldn't be terribly out of place there...)

Ok, now i'm with you. This might change but i added it to the Super Shotgun slot for the following reasons:

A) The Super Shotgun is a double-barreled weapon, and pretty damn powerful (did you know that a single blast from the SSG can cause more damage than a rocket) and so is the Devastator.

B) The Shrinker (in Duke 3D) is arguably the single most powerful weapon in the game as it will shrink most enemies with one single blast. So i figured it should be placed on the BFG slot. Plus it kind of reminds me of the BFG somehow.

C) The Devastator goes through ammo REAL quickly and you don't get much ammo from it. You might get it early on, but using it against common enemies would just be a waste of ammo.

And besides, Doom only has 7 weapon slots so i didn't have much to work it as there are 9 pickable weapons in Duke3D (including Pistol).

I was dabbling with the idea of using Duke 64 weapons aswell. Still thinking about it.

CeeJay:

"And besides, Doom only has 7 weapon slots so i didn't have much to work it as there are 9 pickable weapons in Duke3D (including Pistol)."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Your 007 wad had multiple weapons on the same slot, at least i thought it did.

zZaRDoZz said:

Your 007 wad had multiple weapons on the same slot, at least i thought it did.

I meant the actual weapon pickup items.

Well i've made major improvements to Dukes voices aswell as made the pipebombs function more like it does it Duke 3D. Instead of the trigger being automatically raised after a pipebomb has been thrown, the player instead has to manually select it by using the secondary attack which is otherwise reserved for the quick kick. Also the explosions look much, much better now. The gib mechanics still kinda suck, perhaps there is somebody who could help me out with that?

Also does anybody know if there is any way of making enemies (not players or bots, enemies or monsters) randomly jump around? And is there someway of making enemies switch between flying and walking? Other than those issues i believe most of the stuff can be pulled off.

Interesting mod ceejay, i was just playing duke nukem atomic edition with one of my buddies...good times.

btw when u get the time look at the dark forces tc forums, i need some ideas real fast to get the show back on the road.

I'm making a Duke 64 themed jokewad if anyone here is interested in finishing it for me.

On topic: what weasel said pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. I have a fully functional shrink ray made in DECORATE. I dunno how well that'll translate to EDGE, but its certainly possible.

I never understood this phenomenon of mixing-and-matching the engines for classic shooters. Let's make a Duke3D mod for Doom! Let's make a Blood mod for Doom! Let's make a Doom mod for Duke3D! Let's make a Wolfenstein mod for Doom! Let's take the art assets from Redneck Rampage and use them to reskin Corridor 7: Alien Invasion. What exactly is gained?

I'm sorry about your girlfriend though.

Creaphis said:

I never understood this phenomenon of mixing-and-matching the engines for classic shooters.

I think its simple. People want to create something new, and spending the time to make all new resources is stuff reserved for the likes of Mordeth and T.V. There's a ton of old FPSes whose resources are fresh for the picking that makes adding them to Doom pretty easy. I personally loved Torm667's TCotD:A because of how ... different ... it felt with the mish-mash of resources.

EDIT: I also find it interesting that he started this mod for similar reasons that I started my Duke64 mod 2 years ago.

Doom64Marine said:

btw when u get the time look at the dark forces tc forums, i need some ideas real fast to get the show back on the road.

Dude, where have you been? I've been checking those forums on and off and asked about the status of the project with no reply. I assumed that the project had died. Anyhow, glad is hasn't. That means i have five projects currently on my hand.

Patrick said:

On topic: what weasel said pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. I have a fully functional shrink ray made in DECORATE. I dunno how well that'll translate to EDGE, but its certainly possible.

The Shrinker now actually shrinks enemies and the freezethrower turns 'em in to blocks of ice.

Froozen enemies functions like they do in Duke 3D except you have to manually use quick kick (secondary attack) to shatter them.

Shrunken enemies functions similar. Once again, you have to manually "squash" them with your quick kick. However they will not revert to there normal size after some delay. Not sure yet how to pull that off.

EDIT: Alrigt, due to people being really quick at noting that the Freezerthrower and Shrinker don't function they way they're supposed to do (i don't blame you) i uploaded the current version.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M0MGU4CT

Still, remember that it IS a work-in-progress. The quick kick for the shrinker has not be implemented yet, so you have to manually select another weapon to squash them.

EDIT 2: Also the Shrinker will only shrink the Trooper at the moment.

NEW BETA VERSION (02/06/2010):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5VROE8PY

It is still under development, but most of the weapons, items, and enemies are almost complete. It has not been tested with Dynamic Light turned on. Requires newest version of EDGE (1.34).

Known bug(s): Recon Car doesn't produce an explosion when it crashes (dies) which is very odd because it did before. I have not yet been able to figure out what has gone wrong. There are several other minor bugs, glitches or just issues but hopefully nothing that will screw up gameplay. There is a lot of complex and mind-twisting coding in there, so bugs are bound to happen. This is where you come in.

Creaphis said:

What exactly is gained?

Well, the modder's familiarity with his target game, presumably.

Sometimes, the ability to mod at all. Often, a larger target audience. Let's say I made a mod for In Extremis. Who even has heard of that game? Now let's say I want to make a mod for In Extremis. There's no tool that exists for this task, so I'll have to hack it all together myself. Now let's say I want to make an In Extremis mod for ZDoom, now it's cool, there are a lot of tried-and-true tool to do the job, and there will be a lot of people who'll be able to play it and comment on it. Victory!

Now with games like Duke Nukem, which actually have advanced editing utilities and source ports available, it's less true. Still, the familiarity factor is not to be neglected.

Creaphis said:

BRB, working on Redneck Invasion: Corridor Rampage.

The name is already a winner.

CeeJay said:

That's odd, i have no problem with it. And besides when i try to upload it to files.drdteam.org it tells me that the filesize is too big (it's about 8 mb in size).

You need an account, otherwise the file size limit is 0 KB. That's just how the software works, unfortunately...

The project is still going...

I have succefully done the Status Bar and mini-HUD display. Cleaned up the code (it was really messy at places), this should perhaps smoothen up gameplay. Also all weapons are now complete, not sure yet if i should try and tackle the Laser Trip Bomb. I don't think it can be done (with justice) so it won't be included, i might replace the last weapon slot with something else. Currently working on the menu and fonts.

P.S. "Gib mechanics" (Gibs, shrapnel, glass, etc.) now actually work like they are supposed to (they didn't before). I can't get it perfect, i.e. like in Duke 3D, but it looks really neat as it is.

If anybody would be interested in mapping for the project, you are welcome to do so.

EDIT:

Screenshots showing the HUD display and gibs in-action.

Gez said:

Now with games like Duke Nukem, which actually have advanced editing utilities and source ports available, it's less true. Still, the familiarity factor is not to be neglected.

i understand this. sometimes people start with a small mod, like importing a few weapons, textures or midis for their map to make it different from a standard doom wad, and then the mod grows as they keep importing resources from other games. however the point of playing duke with the doom engine eludes me, as the build engine is better suited for displaying a "realistic" environment, doom is more the hellish, abstract stuff. just my 2 cents, not to knock the authorĀ“s work, as he does a good job.