Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirjuddington

SLADE3 beta ('final' beta 7 up, test away)

esselfortium said:

Damn, because it's a pretty crippling issue on relatively large wads. :\

That and the cumbersomeness of having to browse through a pk3's folder hierarchy back and forth are the reasons why I implemented the "bookmark" system originally.

A couple of things I have found while testing:

On my system after clicking ENDOOM on Doom2.wad it takes 20 seconds for it to appear. Both CPUs go to about 50% for that duration of time.
A similar thing but not as long happens with 320x200 images i.e. TITLEPIC, INTERPIC (3 seconds delay) but smaller patches and flats are fast.

Some minor things:

It would be nice if after pressing CTRL-2 focus would be given to the console input area.
Also CTRL-2 doesn't work whenever the console has focus.

Now that there is support for voxels, in both ZDoom and GZDoom, will SLADE3 be able to show voxel images?

I tried with DooMAD's voxel example, where the voxels are between VX_START and VX_END markers, and all I got was the hex representation.

Yeah, there are no voxel viewers and no model viewers.

That may change in the future, or may not. :p

I have looked for GPL-compatible OpenGL voxel display source code, but didn't find any that'd be useful. At most there were stuff about voxel terrain, not voxel objects.

4mer said:

A couple of things I have found while testing:

On my system after clicking ENDOOM on Doom2.wad it takes 20 seconds for it to appear. Both CPUs go to about 50% for that duration of time.
A similar thing but not as long happens with 320x200 images i.e. TITLEPIC, INTERPIC (3 seconds delay) but smaller patches and flats are fast.

That doesn't sound right, since you have multiple CPUs I doubt it's a CPU speed issue. What video card do you have (and system + video memory)?

I have resolved the slowdown problem that I mentioned. I updated my graphics card driver (it was quite a bit out of date). ENDOOM now displays instantly.

Does anyone here have random crashes in SLADE who use Windows 7? A lot of the time when I attempt to export, import, or load a wad file SLADE just stops responding.

Do I need to set a compatibility flag? Run as administrator?

Latest SVN build doesn't solve this problem. That pdb file doesn't even write up a report for me anymore either. This bug happens when I export, import, or load a pre-existing wad.

I don't understand why it is doing this...Do you think I should use an earlier build to see if the problem dissipates away?

Congratulations Slayer.

It seems that you made some good advancement on this since my previous post.
I like where Slade3 is heading to.

The only question I have is: can I switch to Slade 3 or should I keep with SLumpEd (for WAD Editing) until a stable release born?

Keep up your good work.

TendaMonsta said:

That pdb file doesn't even write up a report for me anymore either.

You can't just use old pdb, you need to get pdb for the same revision as the exe.

Karnizero said:

..... The only question I have is: can I switch to Slade 3 or should I keep with SLumpEd (for WAD Editing) until a stable release born? .....

It was r767 when SLADE3 had all the functionality of SlumpEd7.
The SVN build is now at r796.

Kappes Buur said:

It was r767 when SLADE3 had all the functionality of SlumpEd7.
The SVN build is now at r796.

So it's now the same to use Slade 3 than SLumpEd, talking about stability and main functionality?

Karnizero said:

So it's now the same to use Slade 3 than SLumpEd, talking about stability and main functionality?

After selecting a MIDI in lumps list SLADE freezes for ~3 seconds.

tempun said:

Linux or Windows?

tempun said:

Windows7
MIDI files work fine for me.

Karnizero said:

Slade3 does some things slightly different from SlumpED7. So you have to get used to that.
Stability and functionality are improved, from what I can see so far.

tempun said:

You can't just use old pdb, you need to get pdb for the same revision as the exe.

I have the same one.
I've tried reinstalling this application, but it will keep freezing on me. Whenever I open 3 wad files it just freezes and crashes. The report still doesn't write so that doesn't help either.

Using 64bit Win7 Home edition

Kappes Buur said:

Slade3 does some things slightly different from SlumpED7. So you have to get used to that.
Stability and functionality are improved, from what I can see so far.

Yes, I have been testing it and found it pretty stable (no crashes at all).

And I found no significant diferences, appart of menus placements and so.

But I have one or two Issues and Petitions. ;-P

Issues:
-------

-> Ctrl+Tab does not works when on "Start Page".
-> Using Ctlr+Tab only moves to the next tab, but when reaching the last one does not returns to the first one (as it's spected to do).
-> If I use the keyboard to search an entry in the entries list, if the "destination" entry is an image this does not shows unless I use the arrow keys or mouse to move the selection and go back to the image lump I want see.
-> When "Exporting" and "Saving As" the new dialog window sets the folder path, by default, to "Desktop" (i'm using wondow§), and does not saves the last path visited by that same dialog (i.e. c:\games\doom") so I have to move manually to the same directory each time I want to Export/Save As.
-> It's supposed the "Tab" creates text tabs made of spaces, but i think they are tabulations, not spaces. I think this because when i delete or move the text cursor around the tabs, it moves or deletes a whole tabulation instead a single space.
-> Slade3 needs much time to load when I execute the exe. At least 5 or 6 seconds while SLumpEd opens almost instantly (WindowsXP, 3GHz, 1Gb Ram, no background apps or other).
-> I'm not sure, but i think Slade3 needs a bit more time or overloads the CPU a bit more when saving the WADs than SLumpEd.

Petitions
----------

-> Use something like WinTex for sprites offset: "weapon offset", "floor sprite offset", "flying sprite offset", et cetera, so i can set fast many sprites offset without doing it manually for each sprite (that can have different width and heigh).
-> The possibility to attach the Archive Manager "Window" to the bottom of the window, instead of left & right only.
-> Allowing to split the entries list for the current wad, so i can edit a txtLump (decorate, ddf, acs...), and browse and see a sprite, without having to scroll up and down each time I click on them.
-> More intuitive Menus and buttons: in SLumpEd, to insert a lump from a file, i go to "Insert Lump From File" or the corresponding menu button. But in Slade3 it's not much intuitive to go to "Archive>Import Files". The same happens when exporting a lump to hard disk: if i simply click "export" in the menu buttons, it exports as raw data. For txtlumps this is no prob. but for images and sounds this is annoying.
So, I think that SLumpEd is(was) more intuitive in this aspect.
-> Use a color code in the Archive Manager for current opened and not_opened files.
Even if you set "Close File when close tab" option, it may be confussing if you see all those files list in the archive manager and don't know if they are really opened or not.
-> Add the option to "re-open" the stackable windows (not file manager and so) that have been closed.
I closed the (i think) bookmark window, and I can't open it anymore, unless remove the whole Slade config file.
-> A configurable "Run External Program" option, so I can run the PWAD from within Slade with my favourite Source Port, or just run any other program i want. Or even a configurable list of programs to run. Of course, allowing to use parameters too. It's dumb to allow run a source port but without parameters :P
-> Automatically play media lumps (Like SLumpEd).

Salutes. :-)

Karnizero said:

-> It's supposed the "Tab" creates text tabs made of spaces, but i think they are tabulations, not spaces.

Personally, I prefer it this way. The tab key is for tabs, and for spaces there's the space key. :p

A big problem of replacing tabs with spaces is that not everybody has the same settings. Depending on user preference and the application, a space tab can go anywhere from 2 to 8 spaces. Whereas a tab tab is always one tab. Yay!

Karnizero said:

The same happens when exporting a lump to hard disk: if i simply click "export" in the menu buttons, it exports as raw data.

As if should. It just exports. A "convert and export" function is planned, though.

Karnizero said:

-> Add the option to "re-open" the stackable windows (not file manager and so) that have been closed.

Ctrl-1 for the archive manager, Ctrl-2 for the console. I see no way to close the bookmark tab of the archive manager window separately from the whole archive manager.

Karnizero said:

-> Automatically play media lumps (Like SLumpEd).

I'd rather not, it's horrible when scrolling through the lumps with the arrow key.

Gez said:

I'd rather not, it's horrible when scrolling through the lumps with the arrow key.

Having to click "Play" button is very annoying when I want o find some music. I suggest a "global" Play buton, that is, after you press the play button, all media in that archive plays automatically until you press the Stop button.
However, freezing on midis is even more annoying. It's less noticeable on a faster computer (~0.5-1.5 sec depending on MIDI) though.

Gez said:

As if should. It just exports. A "convert and export" function is planned, though.

Then a "Export Raw Data" caption is better than a simple "Export" caption, since I don't know what "Export" really does (ok, i know now, but it's confussing for novice users or people that moves to SLade3).

Gez said:

Ctrl-1 for the archive manager, Ctrl-2 for the console. I see no way to close the bookmark tab of the archive manager window separately from the whole archive manager.

I don't mean that.
Check this image out (image quality has been lowered):

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7268/blablablaw.png

If i close that window, there is now way to open it again, unless removing the Slade config file.

Gez said:

SLumpEd allows the possibility to activate and deactivate this feature.
SLade3 could do this way too.
But as tempum sayd, it's really a loss of time to search a sound and clicking play button, and then back to the lumps list.

I have a spot of trouble with maneuvering the Entry names.
When I highlight the midi, for example, play it or not, move the midi to the bottom of the list, then click on MAP01, I get a blank map.

Then exiting SLADE3, I get a message stating that SLADE3 is not responding.

Loss of focus

I just noticed that this happens every time when I move any lump up or down.

Kappes Buur said:

I have a spot of trouble with maneuvering the Entry names.
When I highlight the midi, for example, play it or not, move the midi to the bottom of the list, then click on MAP01, I get a blank map.

Then exiting SLADE3, I get a message stating that SLADE3 is not responding.

I just noticed that this happens every time when I move any lump up or down.

Not every time, but I can reproduce.
btw: "Slade 3.0 released" threaed disappeared, but this thread is alive.

Two annoyances:
- I find it odd that a program developed in 2010 does not support drag-and-drop. Why does it force the user to use the clunky "browse for a file" dialog box rather than let him open a WAD by dragging it from Explorer and dropping onto SLADE's window?
- The splash screen proudly declares "It's a DOOM Editor!" yet the palette drop-down box defaults to "Global", forcing you to select the DOOM palette manually every time you load a WAD. The program should at least give the user an option of choosing his own default.

I also don't see a way to export several WAD entries at once into a single WAD file. You would expect this level of functionality, found in 15-year-old programs like NWT and WinTex, to be be the minimal set of a modern WAD editor.