Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
splatterhouse

Why is DOOM not considered freeware?

I don't understand why the full version of DOOM is not available for download for free when it is open-source. You can compile the FREE source code and have the full game, so it doesn't seem fair that id still charges people to download the game, even if it is a hundred percent worth it. Anyone know why this is the case?

You can compile the source code and get the engine for free, but don't forget about all the graphics, sounds, and other media involved. That stuff isn't free.

eargosedown said:

Isn't the IWAD like 3 dollars on Steam now?

*checks Steam*

The IWADs are $9.99 each.

killyourself215 said:

I don't understand why the full version of DOOM is not available for download for free when it is open-source. You can compile the FREE source code and have the full game, so it doesn't seem fair that id still charges people to download the game, even if it is a hundred percent worth it. Anyone know why this is the case?

Not fair? Are you insane or something? It's extremely genorous of id to release the sources of their games, it's not like we have a right to that.

The artwork & music will never be freeware... code is only because nick of time and a generous John...

A few points:

Free software does not mean freeware. The meaning of free in either term isn't the same. You might have heard about the "free speech vs. free beer" thing before.

Source code does not mean game. What's free software is the source code of the engine. Hey, did you know the executable for Doom shareware is exactly the same as the one for registered Doom? And the same as the one for Doom 2? Yep.

So your point makes about as much sense as saying it's not fair that the full Doom and Doom 2 IWADs weren't given with the shareware version, since we had (as far as the engine is concerned) the full version of the game anyway.

killyourself215 said:

I don't understand why the full version of DOOM is not available for download for free when it is open-source. You can compile the FREE source code

The fact that the source code is free and something is licensed as open-source doesn't make it automatically free of charge. The usual "free as in free beer" and "free as in free speech" dichotomy.

I can understand your confusion: most of the stuff released under the GPL is free and open-source, where the former actually means "free as in $0. Nada. No money. Zilch. Nuthin'" and the latter means "free as in speech" e.g. you can have the source code, study it, improve it etc.

The GPL license (and other open source licenses) theoretically allow for something to be open-source and "free as in free speech", but not "free as in beer", however actual examples of such software are rare: when people hear "open source" they think "totally free" without allowing for further dichotomies.

Doom comes pretty close however: only the code is made freely available (and to nitpick, you need to add you own video and sound systems/drivers) but not the actual data/artwork etc.

So , the "heart" of the game is free, but not its "body", so to speak. For that, you'll have to pay (hmm...sounds awfully familiar...nm).

You know I've always thought it was silly to give people a hard time for pirating such an old game, but as doom's longevity keeps on going and doesn't wane much, and all the awesome projects and energy are put into the game, and when you guys break it down in this way, yeah, it seems totally fair. The artwork in doom (The sounds, monsters, textures, weapons etc.) are epicness and there's no reason they shouldn't remain copyrighted and the geniuses responsible for it to get their much deserved royalties for their art, 16 years later.

Let alone that the vast majority of videogames ever created has not been "opened" or "liberated" in any way. There's no reason to feel bitter about Doom alone.

One major exception are the vast majority of Speccy/Amstrad software which were somehow given leeway (Amstrad had something to do with that, as they owned both computer systems in the end, and even licensed the BIOS/BASIC ROMs for free as early as 1995-1996), and in fact CPC/Speccy archives are among the oldest on the net.

Over the years, I have to admit, I must've paid for the Doom 2 IWAD at least 4 or 5 times, so I can certainly understand the frustration. But still, there are newcomers to Doom every day, and I really can't fault id for protecting their copyright here. Though I do so wish they'd release a new Doom sequel under the old engine, that'd be so fucking cool.

geekmarine said:

Over the years, I have to admit, I must've paid for the Doom 2 IWAD at least 4 or 5 times, so I can certainly understand the frustration.

I keep backup installers for the Doom 95 installer on four separate e-mail accounts, just to be safe.

geekmarine said:

Though I do so wish they'd release a new Doom sequel under the old engine, that'd be so fucking cool.

You mean, something like "No Rest for the Living"?

OK seriously, YOU are upset that Doom costs money?!?!? THAT'S NOT RIGHT!
ok first of all Doom is the most flexible, playable, and overall most played game ever (God only knows it might even have more players than Halo) and that is a fully legitimate reason that it costs money! there is many possible thoughts that it could be free but that's why they made freedoom, if you want doom enough then go buy it you cheapskate! If you really can't afford it then get freedoom, so you've got no reason to complain so this was a completely pointless thread

Gez said:

You mean, something like "No Rest for the Living"?

wut

I have the data files from most every FPS zipped. It's just easier then lugging the CDs everywhere I go. I on'y need to pay for it once.

avery1555 said:

FreeDoom is ok, but you can get the full Doom off Steam for pretty cheap.

inb4 Enjay rampage.

DOS games, and games with source ports, are two categories that are safe to take from Steam because you don't need to have Steam running. You can even uninstall and delete Steam altogether (provided then that you first copy the games elsewhere).

All games from the Id Superpack can be used Steamlessly.

If it wasn't for Disney it would be public domain by now. Now you have to wait until 2088.

Well, in case anyone else ever asks, we can link them to this thread.