Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Contorted_Extirpation

My Doom 2 Map

Recommended Posts

Here it is -

SpeedyShare Downloads

First beta- http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20659239/Point_of_Indejection.wad
beta 2- http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20682255/PoI_beta2.zip

WadHost Downloads

First betahttp://wadhost.fathax.com/files/PoI.zip
beta 2- http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/PoI_beta2.zip

Im constantly making fixes to it, which will be updated in beta releases above.

I used "Doom 2" Game Configuration with Doom Builder 2
Source Port Used - Skulltag 98a

please take a look at it and let me know what you think. Screenshots of it are below:



UPDATE - My Map Video is in the "Doom Videos" Thread.

-Thank You

Share this post


Link to post

Well, the screens look nice, but when I played it in skulltag the flats decided to freak out on me. What port is this meant for, what format did you map in, and which editor are you using? Posting the port intended is generally a good idea, otherwise people play things in their preferred ports and it doesn't always work out ...

Anyway, I thought there was some interesting stuff in there, although the spazzing flats and first map placement of things was meh. Putting more than 3 types of monsters together in a fight takes some doing to keep it interesting, just throwing a mish-mash in takes off a lot of pressure that'd be on the player if it was just 1 or 2 types of monsters. That said, varied map styles and themes keeps doom alive 16 years later despite its rather limited vanilla beastiary.

Also, make sure to use door textures that are recognizably doors, I completely missed the grating-textured door, and the marbface isn't exactly standard. Doom builder 2 can organize textures by type, and there is a door tab already setup.

As for hosting sites, wadhost is my preferred, as you can just right click on the link to your map, chose 'copy link address', and paste it in your thread, and it directly goes to the zip. Yeah you have to .zip it first.

Share this post


Link to post
ArmouredBlood said:

Well, the screens look nice, but when I played it in skulltag the flats decided to freak out on me. What port is this meant for, what format did you map in, and which editor are you using? Posting the port intended is generally a good idea, otherwise people play things in their preferred ports and it doesn't always work out ...

Anyway, I thought there was some interesting stuff in there, although the spazzing flats and first map placement of things was meh. Putting more than 3 types of monsters together in a fight takes some doing to keep it interesting, just throwing a mish-mash in takes off a lot of pressure that'd be on the player if it was just 1 or 2 types of monsters. That said, varied map styles and themes keeps doom alive 16 years later despite its rather limited vanilla beastiary.

Also, make sure to use door textures that are recognizably doors, I completely missed the grating-textured door, and the marbface isn't exactly standard. Doom builder 2 can organize textures by type, and there is a door tab already setup.

As for hosting sites, wadhost is my preferred, as you can just right click on the link to your map, chose 'copy link address', and paste it in your thread, and it directly goes to the zip. Yeah you have to .zip it first.

If I did not already mention, Im new to making my own maps and stuff like that. The drop down at the start of the level was intended to be that. If you were referring to the door at the beginning, it is supposed to be a secret, so that's why it is the same texture as the wall.

Share this post


Link to post

Tried it in gzdoom 1.4.1 and the flats were sane. Guess I need to check for new versions of skulltag. That raises the question of what you were using to get the incompatibility - probably zdoom in doom/hexen with a recent nodebuilder or something. Which is why I said you should post what port you used, which is doubly important for zdoom since it seems to make versions incompatible with each other every few updates.

The grate I mentioned was to the room with 2 arch-viles, I missed it when running through all the monsters but did find it later. Off that room was the Marble face texture I was talking about.

I mentioned the first map stuff more to get you thinking about how to make maps fun and interesting; chaos can be fun, but if it's not focused on you you're merely spectating, not playing.

Share this post


Link to post
ArmouredBlood said:

Tried it in gzdoom 1.4.1 and the flats were sane. Guess I need to check for new versions of skulltag.


The current build is 98a, but the maps could have been made with any of the 97 branches.

Share this post


Link to post
ArmouredBlood said:

The grate I mentioned was to the room with 2 arch-viles, I missed it when running through all the monsters but did find it later. Off that room was the Marble face texture I was talking about.

I mentioned the first map stuff more to get you thinking about how to make maps fun and interesting; chaos can be fun, but if it's not focused on you you're merely spectating, not playing.

Oh my bad I updated the part with two arch viles. Click on the SpeedyShare download link, because this one should be the updated version. Im just verifying that for now. As for what you said about "mentioning the first map stuff more to get me thinking about how to make maps fun and interesting"?, im not sure exactly what you mean. Also, are you referring "chaos" to "Chaos Order", if you are, that map is really fun and I'd love to be able to make stuff along those lines.

I apologize if im totally off on what you're trying to say. Im not that smart in this stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Contorted_Extirpation said:

Oh my bad I updated the part with two arch viles. Click on the SpeedyShare download link, because this one should be the updated version. Im just verifying that for now. As for what you said about "mentioning the first map stuff more to get me thinking about how to make maps fun and interesting"?, im not sure exactly what you mean. Also, are you referring "chaos" to "Chaos Order", if you are, that map is really fun and I'd love to be able to make stuff along those lines.

I apologize if im totally off on what you're trying to say. Im not as smart in this stuff as you guys are.


Will check it out. And yea that came out bad, I meant something along the lines of 'I like infighting, but not when the whole map is infighting and I just run through it', which is a bit harsher but more to the point. It's not all infighting though, the chaingunners in the narrow channels and the 2 arch-viles room were pretty in your face.

Yeah chaosorder was good. It takes a lot of time to make a map that big though, and imo it's better to learn with smaller maps, so that when you find out something can be done better one way you don't have to go back and fix a lot of stuff you did the other way.

Share this post


Link to post
ArmouredBlood said:

Will check it out. And yea that came out bad, I meant something along the lines of 'I like infighting, but not when the whole map is infighting and I just run through it', which is a bit harsher but more to the point. It's not all infighting though, the chaingunners in the narrow channels and the 2 arch-viles room were pretty in your face.

Yeah chaosorder was good. It takes a lot of time to make a map that big though, and imo it's better to learn with smaller maps, so that when you find out something can be done better one way you don't have to go back and fix a lot of stuff you did the other way.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Thank you for all your help with everything. You've been a great person to rely on so far, since I suck at this right now.

Share this post


Link to post

Alright, played it, and the mass of histscanners in the beginning surprised me very much. There's making the enemy more uniform and then there're hitscanners, which infight even more. Plus just 5 sergeants can kill a full heatlh, armorless player in 1 salvo. Not that you can't use them, just be aware it's likely to do a ton more damage than just projectile enemies will do in open spaces (I bet you already know this though). Kind of the same thing with the big former human corridor near the end. Otherwise the fights are okay. Texturing is still very haphazard, it works in a very abstract sense, but looking at other wads and see how other people mix some things together will help you make your map more appealing.

Share this post


Link to post
ArmouredBlood said:

Alright, played it, and the mass of histscanners in the beginning surprised me very much. There's making the enemy more uniform and then there're hitscanners, which infight even more. Plus just 5 sergeants can kill a full heatlh, armorless player in 1 salvo. Not that you can't use them, just be aware it's likely to do a ton more damage than just projectile enemies will do in open spaces (I bet you already know this though). Kind of the same thing with the big former human corridor near the end. Otherwise the fights are okay. Texturing is still very haphazard, it works in a very abstract sense, but looking at other wads and see how other people mix some things together will help you make your map more appealing.

I got rid of many of the former humans in the beginning, along with some of the mancubus in the second room, and made some other changes with the monsters in the rest of the level. It should be less "infightable" now, so its not as annoying.

Dont feel like im wanting you to check it every time I reply with an update. Im just letting you know, thats all.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×