Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaganRaven

Breadmonster Invasion Part 1 beta

Looks like fun. Kitten cannon? Looks like the most awesome wad ever! Downloading.

Bugs n stuff:
Punctuation error: extra period on the title screen story panel with the glowing blue eagle thing.
What's up with the fist? Does it "lock on" to enemies you have punched? I ran in, punched some Disco Bananas, then ran out. After that, my fists kept facing north whenever I punched. Then I tried later to punch some bananas and nothing happened. The little lizard thing died, though, but it did lock on to him.
Is there any difference between Cake and Pie?

DuckReconMajor said:

Punctuation error: extra period on the title screen story panel with the glowing blue eagle thing.

Thanks, I never noticed.

DuckReconMajor said:

What's up with the fist? Does it "lock on" to enemies you have punched? I ran in, punched some Disco Bananas, then ran out. After that, my fists kept facing north whenever I punched. Then I tried later to punch some bananas and nothing happened. The little lizard thing died, though, but it did lock on to him.

My answer for this is: I have no idea. My attempts to fix the bugs in the fist a year ago ended in failure. Then I figured nobody would ever even see the fist so I wouldn't worry about it until later. For some reason A_CustomMelee doesn't like doing what I tell it to, and just attacks one target and annoys everything else. Could it be that A_CustomMelee was made for monsters and not weapons? I'll surely have it figured out for the official version, I hope.

DuckReconMajor said:

Is there any difference between Cake and Pie?

One is male, the other is female. That's about it. It's purely cosmetic. But they do happen to say different things in some situations ;)

I should warn you not to play on harder difficulties right away. Map 2 becomes ridiculously cryptic at anything beyond "normal" difficulty. I thought I was doing something amazing at the time, but when I realized what I was doing wasn't necessarily easy on the player, it was already done.

PaganRaven said:

Could it be that A_CustomMelee was made for monsters and not weapons? I'll surely have it figured out for the official version, I hope.

You are correct, A_CustomMelee is for monsters. The equivalent player attack is called A_CustomPunch.

I had to restart because the mau-jackal-adder puzzle didn't work.
In the room with the four stone buttons, all of them make one of those 'incorrect' buzzes when pressed. I also don't like how they freeze you when you press them. I found myself pressing the button 2 or 3 times before I could finally get off the thing.

Those animal switches and the four buttons should work if you do them right, but yes, the buttons are a bit quirky. I'm thinking over reprogramming that puzzle to be based on the player entering a certain range of xyz coordinates on the map (taking out the freezing) instead of it being based on passing through the lines around the buttons, but I have no idea if it would make it better or worse and it might be a pain in the butt to code (or the code might just take an hour or two to play around with and I'd be done with it).

If you're not liking that crap, play it on the easiest skill. It makes just one animal button to decode and only one or two buttons to push and the difficulties make absoloutely no difference in monster and item placements. The effect it does have is the health/power recovery rate of the player. On hard you recover very slowly, and on easy you recover too fast to ever be in danger. I was pretty much only testing it on normal so that's guaranteed to work.

After map 2, the overcomplicated puzzles end and it's much more playable, but not just the "collect the keys and find the exit" like doom (well, it sort of is, but there are more things than just keys). For how drawn out it was to build and script most of the maps I'm planning on making smaller, more straight-forward maps with simpler challenges for the 2nd episode so it doesn't take another half a decade xp

DuckReconMajor said:

I was playing on skill 2 and tried every combination. The two times I did it after that (again, on skill 2), it worked.

Hmm... weird...

Oh yeah, shoot at one of the pictures on the wall to reveal an item that lets you fly, making running around to push all the buttons much easier (if you haven't beaten it already)

PaganRaven said:

making running around to push all the buttons much easier

I still don't know what I'm supposed to do. I lifted all the buttons up, then I went to one of the buttons and pushed it down. It said "4 MORE TO GO". Then I went to the other 3 and they all gave me that beep. So I went back to the first one, trying to fight the button to get it to stay down. Well, the button went up and down and up and down and it said "3 MORE TO GO" "2 MORE TO GO" "3 MORE TO GO" "2 MORE TO GO" "3 MORE TO GO" "2 MORE TO GO"

DuckReconMajor said:

I still don't know what I'm supposed to do. I lifted all the buttons up, then I went to one of the buttons and pushed it down. It said "4 MORE TO GO". Then I went to the other 3 and they all gave me that beep. So I went back to the first one, trying to fight the button to get it to stay down. Well, the button went up and down and up and down and it said "3 MORE TO GO" "2 MORE TO GO" "3 MORE TO GO" "2 MORE TO GO" "3 MORE TO GO" "2 MORE TO GO"

I'll give you a hint: You're supposed to press the buttons in a particular order (and they're not supposed to stay down). The obelisks in the big central area show you what the order is...

Hey, are you the guy who posted the Keen 2.5 game on the Commander Keen Forums? I thought that I saw this drawing style somewhere before.
I am a bit confused in the first level, but I will play more of it tommorow and I really like what I see so far.