Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Chocolate Strife Development

The savegame code, which is the last major change/feature to be completed in Chocolate Strife, is very nearly functional. Once it's complete, which I believe will happen this weekend, I will release a beta version for testing. Beta because it's really nowhere near finished - second, third, maybe even fourth passes need to be made over the disassembly to look for things missed or mistakes that have been made, and there are definitely a couple in there somewhere, as demos recorded without -nomonsters won't currently sync for some reason (I am proud to say that demos recorded by the original EXE *with* -nomonsters do sync, however, so it's painfully close to perfect at this point).

I hope, though do not necessarily believe, that beta testing might help ferret out some of the remaining issues. Probably they're things too small to be noticed during normal play though.

The biggest issue right now is that the game will exit eventually with a Z_Malloc error due to a design issue in the Chocolate Doom low-level sound engine which fragments the hell out of the zone heap when loading voice sounds. Even with -heapsize 80 I still get a Z_Malloc error by the time I reach the Oracle. fraggle is the one that has to fix this, so I'd say at this point, expect to have to run the beta with -heapsize 100 or more (or save extremely often).

Question: how did you take the latest screenshot? Does Strife have a debug command-line parameter activating a screenshot button?

fraggle said:

-devparm and F1? I assume it's the same for Strife as it is for Doom...

Nope. In v1.2, F9 takes screenshots, even without -devparm. In v1.31 it is moved to a different key for the sake of restoring DOOM-like quicksave/load behavior.

However do not press F9 in the currently released beta. There's a bug in Chocolate Doom which causes stack corruption in V_ScreenShot when the file name "STRIFE??.pcx" is passed to that function. This is fixed in the strife-branch repo already.

EDIT: fraggle tells me it's not really a "bug" in Choco since none of the other games use a full 12-character DOS file name for screenshots. Let's call it a "design issue" then ;)